Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milk Substitutes
Patches 03:10 PM 04-18-2014
I have an 11 month old who is turning 1in 8 days. They brought me a doctor's note saying he has a milk sensitivity and needs to avoid cows milk. They are trying to figure out what to give him instead and seem to be leaning towards almond milk, but I can't find any almond milk that meets the nutritional requirements for the food program. Does anybody know if there is any brand of almond milk that does meet the requirements?
What's weird is I talked to my food program rep and he told me almond milk and soy milk are both fine.
Also, is it typical that the provider is required to provide the milk substitute? They said I would have to buy it and I could not allow the parents to provide it.
SignMeUp 03:16 PM 04-18-2014
I have a dck who drinks soy. No special diet statement needed if you supply one of the brands endorsed by the food program. (At least that's how my fp does it.)
Dck used to drink almond, but needed special diet statement signed by doctor for that one.
And yes, I had to supply both in order to claim that child. Parent could refuse the fp and supply the milk, (there's a form for that!) but then you can't claim them for any meal.
Luckily many options are readily available at grocery stores, discount 'big box' stores,etc. now.

Check with your food program sponsor - these things change sometimes.
Meyou 02:18 AM 04-19-2014
I use coconut milk instead of almond. It has more fat in it.
butterfly 05:26 AM 04-19-2014
You have to supply it to get paid. They can bring it but then you can't claim those meals with milk.

No almond milk in my area qualifies for the food program. I use great value original soy and it's creditable. No doctor note needed, just a parent note. I have to provide the milk.
Michael 02:49 PM 04-19-2014
Some other threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...-+alternatives
Unregistered 04:48 PM 04-19-2014
When my son was in daycare, I had to get a doctor's note because he was intolerant to cow's milk and I didn't want to give him soy milk. My doctor said almond was fine and signed the substitute milk form and food program was fine with it. I always provided it.
Tags:milk - alternatives
Reply Up