Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New To Daycare - In Process Of Getting Licensed
ABCDaycareMN 11:12 AM 10-24-2012
I currently have ads up looking for 1 family til I am licensed. I just got an email asking if I have an infant availability starting in April!? I have know idea what to say back. I would like to say something like I would like to meet with you but not til I am licensed so if she is interested I can have her fill out paperwork and a holding fee.

Any suggestions? I don't want to just say no. Kwim?

Also how long do you have a spot holding fee for?
Nickel 11:24 AM 10-24-2012
Personally I would tell her that you can put her on a waiting list. Have her contact you after the baby is born and you will let her know if you have an opening at that time.

You can then decide if you want to interview now or after the baby is born. Personally I would just go ahead and do the interview but email her the information (so you won't have to print things off). if she is still interested next year, great. If not, you got practice interviewing

I think it is a good thing that parents look for child care in advance, but I would NOT hold a spot for that length of time. Now once the baby is born if you have an opening and want to charge a holding fee during her maternity leave I would. But at this point I wouldn't worry too much about that because it is several months away.

I know I got my name on waiting lists as soon as I found out I was pregnant... I ended up not needing child care but at least I knew I would have a spot somewhere when the baby was born.

HTH and Welcome!!!
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 10-24-2012
Nickel gave some good advice.

.....Plus I have seen parents "want" a certain type of service and agree with rules and policies only to actually give birth and be a parent and then their whole list of wants and needs suddenly changes.....

Interview, offer her the ability to contact you AFTER birth and go from there.
Michael 11:38 AM 10-24-2012
Welcome
mema 11:42 AM 10-24-2012
I had one looking for the end of next August and I just told her that it is too far away to know for sure, but if she would like to contact me after the baby is born, that would be fine. I think she was hearing that a lot. Just ask her to give you a call later. Good luck!
ABCDaycareMN 11:43 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Interview, offer her the ability to contact you AFTER birth and go from there.
Thank you, I did reply and offer her to interview me now but to contact me later to see if I have a spot available and to hold it at that time.

I love all the advice I get from this site. Being new to the field it has come in so handy.
Tags:minnesota
Reply Up