Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Science Projects?
PitterPatter 05:52 AM 04-16-2011
Besides the sensory tables and such, can some of u offer any new ideas for science projects? We have a few good ones that are always a big hit but I like to keep it interesting and introduce something new.

We already do things like magic milk, flubber, oobleck and ice cream. The kids love them but I think are ready for something new. I would love to hear some of your ideas.
Kaddidle Care 06:32 AM 04-16-2011
Play Doh Volcanos! Messy but fun. Make the volcano shape from play doh and fill the cavity with baking soda. Let the little ones pour the vinigar a little at a time and watch it erupt. They love it!
Michael 12:55 PM 04-16-2011
more here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ience+projects
Abigail 09:00 PM 04-16-2011
PitterPatter....btw love your user name and image, is it yours or something you found online?

For your question, do you do weekly or monthly themes? I'm starting to make my own curriculum (money-saving) and am doing weekly themes to just get art and science projects. Have you done any googling? That is how I'm getting most of my topics.
PitterPatter 04:21 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
PitterPatter....btw love your user name and image, is it yours or something you found online?

For your question, do you do weekly or monthly themes? I'm starting to make my own curriculum (money-saving) and am doing weekly themes to just get art and science projects. Have you done any googling? That is how I'm getting most of my topics.
Thanks! I chose PitterPatter myself because I have the pitter patter of little feet running around all day. I googled pitter patter for a good image. Fit perfect, especially for April. Sometimes I create things on Paint and Photoshop but I haven't had time this week.

I google a lot when I have time. It's funny because at nap time I try to hurry and get lunch dishes done so I can Google and build more curriculum but I always end up using my time on the forum here. It's addicting!
Abigail 09:43 PM 04-17-2011
How many projects have you come up with yet? Did you give any of them a go?
Meyou 01:22 AM 04-18-2011
We plant seeds and leart about how plants grow. I took advice from here and planted some seeds in an aquarium and the kids planted their own. THe ones I planted we can see the roots growing...it's cool. I'm going to send the plants home for mother's day gifts so it's a double project.

I'm doing bird feeders this week. We're going to paint dollar store bird feeders and fill them. We're going to read some birdy books and watch the eagle cam for a bit. Then we're going to hang our feeders outside and hopefully some of the birds that come to my yard will show up for us to watch. There were two robins yesterday.
SilverSabre25 04:19 AM 04-18-2011
A good source for science projects might be Lakeshore Learning. Poke around their website for awhile and see what you find--at the very least, they have lots of nifty materials that you could set out to enhance your sensory table or simply have available for free "experiementing" (like magnifying glasses, for example). I'm sure they also have lots of Science experiment books for kids, too. You could check out Amazon/Barnes and Noble, too, for books of science project ideas for kids.
daycare 02:50 PM 04-18-2011
I have a book all about science for kids from 2-5. I have to find it, but will repost the name of it when i do.

We do a lot of predictions...like sink or float? Will it be Hard or soft? which will fall first?

How many cups of water do you think it will take to fill this bucket?
we get a piece of paper, I write down the two choice options and then make tally marks. When the experiment is over, we see who predicted correctly...
Tags:science projects
Reply Up