Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Q/Help ASAP!
daycarediva 12:14 PM 03-17-2015
I have a parent who never notified me of an alternate pick up person coming today. The child is ALWAYS picked up by parents, ONE TIME Grandma picked up because Mom had surgery (and dcd was with mom).

Child says- aunt so and so is picking me up. I text Mom, hours later yes and she will be here within the hour. Check alternate pick up people- she is not listed.

It's in my handbook only those on the list can pick up. The parent must notify me in advance and the alternate must have photo id. This persons name appears NO WHERE.

Also, parents are now going through a not so great divorce. That seems unrelated, but dcd is always asking about dcm's pickup and drop off times and they literally JUST updated paperwork MONDAY and this name is NOT on either list.

I SHOULD say no, correct?
daycare 12:24 PM 03-17-2015
FOLLOW YOURS RULES.

I got burned on this a few years back. Nothing too serious, but never again..

Sorry DCM licensing requires that an alternate must be listed on your paperwork to pick up and you must have given written advance notice. Do you have someone else on DCG list who can pick up. Otherwise, i can not release your daughter. sorry, ihave to follow the rules and enforce them
daycare 12:25 PM 03-17-2015
wanted to add, that if you really trust dcm, I would ask her to send me an email of written request to have her child picked up on today's date, full name of person picking up and that she understands that they must show proof of ID. She will also be asked to sign this printed out email at her next scheduled day of care.
NoMoreJuice! 12:33 PM 03-17-2015
Agree with Daycare!

Stick to your guns, this is for the child's safety and to CYA! I would be very firm with dcm about not having the proper paperwork authorizing this new person to pick up. I agree with the email too...ask her to send you an email authorizing "new person" to pick up, then 100% ask for photo ID.
Leigh 12:42 PM 03-17-2015
I'll let someone else pick up with a text or email from a parent. If it's someone I don't know, I'll tell the parent to ask them to have ID ready for me.
kendallina 12:43 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I'll let someone else pick up with a text or email from a parent. If it's someone I don't know, I'll tell the parent to ask them to have ID ready for me.
Mom gave permission verbally, so I'd allow it. I'd have her add this person to the emergency list next time mom comes in.
daycare 12:46 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Mom gave permission verbally, so I'd allow it. I'd have her add this person to the emergency list next time mom comes in.
I would be careful on verbal form of agreement. its their word vs yours and with a divorce going on, I would not be doing any favors for anyone.

You have no idea really what is going on
jenboo 01:00 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would be careful on verbal form of agreement. its their word vs yours and with a divorce going on, I would not be doing any favors for anyone.

You have no idea really what is going on

I would need an email stating the person has permission to pick up. It must state the persons full name and drivers license number. The person then must show up with their Id or I wouldn't release the child
Thriftylady 01:12 PM 03-17-2015
I would accept an email and require ID at pickup. I would print the email and next time mom came I would ask the contacts be updated.
Rockgirl 01:18 PM 03-17-2015
I would be ok with the dcm's text, and ask for ID. As for the divorce and dcd asking about dcm's pickups/drop offs, I wouldn't discuss it with him, if it's dcm's day to pick up.
Unregistered 01:19 PM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would accept an email and require ID at pickup. I would print the email and next time mom came I would ask the contacts be updated.
Do you have a copier? I would make a copy of the I.D.
I stopped taking text/email/verbal permissions and only allow those authorized with the parents signature. Too stressful for me!
KIDZRMYBIZ 02:10 PM 03-17-2015
I'd allow it with an e-mail that they would then sign the next day. I'd rather allow it than have a late pick-up as they try to find someone else. To me, it's just a little part of the "family" or "in-home" kind of care.
Unregistered 02:35 PM 03-17-2015
As silly as it may seem, I'd stick with your policy. I live in a busy neighborhood so I have a zero tolerance stance with this one (I have the parents give the alternate a password). I'd say: "I know my rule may seem overboard, but I have to create a policy that ensures the maximum safety for every child in every situation. I do not allow people to pick up children from my home who are not on the list. Having a lapse in my standard creates confusion and liability for me, as well as a soft spot in the protection my home offers your child. Please provide an alternate pick up who is on the list and we can add Auntie to the list the next time I see you. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding." The parent really should not fault you for overprotecting their child and it sounds like your gut says, "This isn't quite ideal."
Gemma 02:40 PM 03-17-2015
All my parents know not to even try sending to pick up, someone not on the list...it's a Licensing rule and I wouldn't chance it! I don't trust anyone!
daycarediva 03:48 PM 03-17-2015
I didn't have time to look up the licensing regulation. I did a quick peek at my own handbook, and it states specifically that no child can be picked up by anyone other than a parent/legal guardian unless they are listed on the alternate pick up list, provide photo ID at each incident AND the parent notifies me, verbally or in writing, prior to pick up.

I stuck by it. Mom never responded when I sent her the text, and ended up picking up herself, late. I charged her the fee, and gave her new paperwork to sign and told her to list ANYONE who has the potential to pick up on her days.
CraftyMom 08:03 PM 03-21-2015
You did good!

I had a similar situation not too long ago, I did the same thing you did. Except no one ever told me the uncle was coming, he just showed up. Not on the list of pick ups or emergency contacts. I did not let the child leave. Mom came but was 20 minutes late. I told her to list the names of any and all possibilities to avoid this in the future.
Unregistered 03:03 PM 03-22-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
All my parents know not to even try sending to pick up, someone not on the list...it's a Licensing rule and I wouldn't chance it! I don't trust anyone!

So what is the policy if parent can't pick up and alternate isn't available?
Gemma 03:35 PM 03-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So what is the policy if parent can't pick up and alternate isn't available?
I would only release a child to someone on file so I will have to keep the kid until one of them shows up....and of course charge them fees or Term depending on the situation...but no way I would let an unauthorized person pick up...could be a setup
Reply Up