Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking Parents to Help with Food & Snacks
mac60 03:18 PM 06-01-2009
Home dc providers. I was wondering if any of you have ever asked parents to bring in food and snacks. We all know how our expenses have went up in the past 1 to 1 1/2 years. While I do not normally give rate increases to families, I am finding that more and more of my paycheck is going right back into the business with food, snacks, supplies, utilities, etc. I am wondering if any of you have ever asked parents to regularly bring in any food items. I am thinking for instance just for example:

PLEASE PICK ONE ITEM FROM 3 OF THE GROUPS:

1 of the following from each group:

1 can of corn or green beans

1 can of peaches, pears, mandarin oranges

1 box/bag of pretzels, crackers, cookies

1 box of cheerios, or rice krispies, or corn flakes

1 can of tuna, or canned chicken, or canned ham (I buy these at Dollar General for $1 or less)

I think you get the idea. I know I should probably just raise my rates, but that will just mean I will pay that much more in taxes, and I will be spendinag any increases on supplies/food anyways, so a raise is really no gain for me. Even if I raised my rates $5 per famiily, it wouldn't even come close to cover how my expenses have went up.

Providers, what are your thoughts.
tymaboy 03:50 PM 06-01-2009
I am on the food program which reimburses for part of the meals. Since I am on this I am not allowed to ask parents to supply food other then formula.
Unregistered 04:02 PM 06-01-2009
You know, I Make up my bi-weekly menus and mention if anyone wants to suggest snacks or donate then that would be helpful. I stated this a year ago on my menu and every other week my parents provide things now and I think they secretly compete! I believe this because I acknowledge them on the bottom of my menus- a special thanks to the ...family for providing.... and so forth. This worked for me! Hope this helps you!
Unregistered 10:37 AM 06-02-2009
I started Movie Monday this year b/c I had 2 babies and there was no way we'd be going outside in the winter time. The kids got to bring a G movie and a snack to share. The kids loved it and felt so special. Plus that way, I had at least one snack covered.
mac60 05:47 AM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I started Movie Monday this year b/c I had 2 babies and there was no way we'd be going outside in the winter time. The kids got to bring a G movie and a snack to share. The kids loved it and felt so special. Plus that way, I had at least one snack covered.
That is a neat idea. Thanks.
Unregistered 08:09 PM 10-08-2009
hello,
can someone send me a sample employee handbook for a daycare. my email address is donna2100@yahoo.com
sarahtheresa02 06:58 AM 10-09-2009
I havent asked parents to bring in any food or snacks. However, to cut costs I do try to shop bulk as much as possible. I had thought about it before but for our family purposes it was just too much food, but now with my daycare it works out perfectly and its less expensive.

I do ask if parents bring a "special snack" in for their child that they bring enough for everyone or leave it to give when they get home.
Reply Up