Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switching To Monday-Thursday
finsup 03:55 AM 03-25-2015
So I'm switching my hours to a monday-thursday work week. I only have one family that comes on Friday and often its because DCD wants a 3 day weekend. He only works, at most, 2 Fridays a month and that's if DCM isn't off. They know what Fridays he will be working at the start of the month and it is very easy for DCM to plan around those. Not that they do...or plan at all really, but that's a whole other story (and not my problem lol). But I need some help with wording. Is it nest to just say "I'm switching to monday-thursday" and leave it at that or should I elloborate more? I know this is going to result in drama from them but I need the break. Plus having one free day a week to schedule appointments (pregnant) will really help. This way I won't have to open late or take any kids with me to the Dr.

This family is done in October regardless, if they term over this I would not be too sad I'd rather stick it out until October anyways because getting in someone new while pregnant is difficult but if it happens...oh well! Lo!.
Shell 04:10 AM 03-25-2015
Beginning this summer, I am taking Wednesdays off. It's my lowest number day, and I can schedule those that come that day for any other day.

I've given my parents plenty of notice of this change- I just told them, I will be taking off Wednesdays this summer. No explanation needed.

If you can, I would give as much notice as possible.

You have a great "excuse" with your dr appointments and not inconveniencing anyone- that is also very considerate of your dc families.

I would just flat out tell this family and if pressed, explain it's your lowest #day, and your chance to go to appointments while inconveniencing the least amount of parents.

I so wish I could take the 3 day weekends, but I have a great pt family that needs Fridays.

If you have the chance, definitely do this- it will be wonderful for you!
VTMom 05:00 AM 03-25-2015
If you feel the need for an explanation (I usually do), I'd say something along the lines "Beginning xyz date, I will be open Monday through Thursday in order to accommodate the needs of my family." Being pregnant, those needs should be pretty obvious!

I have Fridays off due to similar circumstances. It's amazing the difference!

Good luck!
Unregistered 06:00 AM 03-25-2015
You don't need to explain yourself. I am sure dcd doesn't explain why he takes Fridays off to you, so no need to explain it for him Just say "starting 'date', I will only be available for care Mon-Thurs. Please plan accordingly." If they press you for more, just say you need the extra day for your family and doc appts. (I am kind of a smart @ss, so if they kept pressing, I would probably get a little ore firm in my responses, but hopefully they will understand and just move on.)
finsup 07:25 AM 03-25-2015
Thanks everyone! I am super excited I am so looking forward to having a day each week wit just my own kids and a lighter schedule! This is baby #3 (and baby #2 is only 10m right now) so having a day to just take it easy will be really helpful.

Now to just write up a quick letter and be done with it!
Gemma 10:24 AM 03-25-2015
This kind of threads make me want to shrink my work week too!
Peaches 11:16 AM 03-25-2015
You and I seem to be in a similar situation. I am also pregnant with baby # 3 and looking to switch to working four days a week. How much notice are you giving the families of the change?
Peaches 11:25 AM 03-25-2015
I also came across this post earlier, thought you may also be interested. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ight=pregnancy
finsup 11:38 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
You and I seem to be in a similar situation. I am also pregnant with baby # 3 and looking to switch to working four days a week. How much notice are you giving the families of the change?
Friday April 10th will be my last Friday so I'm giving them about 3 weeks notice. My situation is slightly different as its only affecting one family, and DCD won't need to work another Friday until the 24th so its giving them a while to get things in order! If it was going to affect everyone I'd still most likely do 2 or 3 weeks worth of notice. Unless I knew the families could easily accommodate the change, then the sooner the better! Lol.
Reply Up