Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am no Longer a Jelly Fish!
daycare 08:44 AM 03-25-2015
many of you know I have been such a push over. BC of all people I think knows best just what a push over i have been in the past.

Well all this week we are conducting an open house, it's been going really well, we have had about 3-4 families a night come and check us out.

The funny thing that I have heard from a few families that have heard about our program word of mouth is that we have an amazing educational and nurturing environment, but she's a stickler for rules..... I almost hugged the people. My days of being walked on and being taken advantage of are now I can say OFFICIALLY I HAVE A BACK BONE.

Thanks to all of you for your PURE honesty and advice even when i really didn't want to hear it.

To those of you building your backbone, be open minded, don't get defensive and listen to these well educated ladies here.

While some might be offended by this, I am not. I have successfully outlasted just about every in-home daycare here in my city. When I started there were over 50, now there are less than 20.............

and I was able to stand through every storm because I had firm rules and a BACKBONE IN place..

I am no longer a jelly fish!!!

Gemma 08:53 AM 03-25-2015
You're right!... one needs to have firm rules, to do this job without spending every day thinking of giving it up.
Kudo for you!
Annalee 09:07 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
many of you know I have been such a push over. BC of all people I think knows best just what a push over i have been in the past.

Well all this week we are conducting an open house, it's been going really well, we have had about 3-4 families a night come and check us out.

The funny thing that I have heard from a few families that have heard about our program word of mouth is that we have an amazing educational and nurturing environment, but she's a stickler for rules..... I almost hugged the people. My days of being walked on and being taken advantage of are now I can say OFFICIALLY I HAVE A BACK BONE.

Thanks to all of you for your PURE honesty and advice even when i really didn't want to hear it.

To those of you building your backbone, be open minded, don't get defensive and listen to these well educated ladies here.

While some might be offended by this, I am not. I have successfully outlasted just about every in-home daycare here in my city. When I started there were over 50, now there are less than 20.............

and I was able to stand through every storm because I had firm rules and a BACKBONE IN place..

I am no longer a jelly fish!!!

From someone who was wayyyyy toooo passive till I found a wonderful mentor, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. YOU GO GIRL!
Thriftylady 09:07 AM 03-25-2015
I am still building my backbone! I have a major issue with that little two letter word NO. Not just in daycare either. Someone at church says can you do xyz, I say "sure I can", the school says can you do ABC? I say "no problem". I have been trying to get better the last couple of years.
Annalee 09:09 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am still building my backbone! I have a major issue with that little two letter word NO. Not just in daycare either. Someone at church says can you do xyz, I say "sure I can", the school says can you do ABC? I say "no problem". I have been trying to get better the last couple of years.
One of the greatest things about my FCC mentor is the lessons she taught/teaches me carries over into my personal life. Once you start rolling taking care of yourself, every thing falls in place....I don't mean heartless toward those around us, but not spreading ourselves too thin!
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 03-25-2015

Unregistered 09:38 AM 03-25-2015
Get in the habit of saying 'I'm not sure let me get back to you' . Gives you time to think!
laundrymom 10:18 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I KNEW BC would have a cute smiley!!!!!
Congrats on finding that confidence. !!
Shell 10:20 AM 03-25-2015
I had that reputation as a teacher, but think my parents would describe me as nice, easy going, and flexible (I've heard them say it).

I like the way you are being described
daycare 10:21 AM 03-25-2015
I am not sorry I can't do that for you, used to be my old words....

new words.

That is not part of the services we normally provide..................AND yes, please give me time to think about this...
Thriftylady 10:26 AM 03-25-2015
I am not sorry I can't do that for you, used to be my old words....

new words.

That is not part of the services we normally provide..................AND yes, please give me time to think about this...
That may be one of the most important things I just picked up by reading Nannyde's book. It is in the top three, I have discovered I shy from saying no sometimes when I am on the spot just because I don't know the words to use. I told my grandson a few weeks ago "use your words". It sounded like he said "I don't know any" but since is is barely talking I am not sure if that is what he said. All I could think though is "you and me both kid".
Movingforward 01:25 PM 03-25-2015
I'm still waiting for the time when I grow one of those haha. Growing up in a family of 5 other siblings, I'm definitely one of those that don't have a strong opinion about things.
daycare 01:29 PM 03-25-2015
That may be one of the most important things I just picked up by reading Nannyde's book. It is in the top three, I have discovered I shy from saying no sometimes when I am on the spot just because I don't know the words to use. I told my grandson a few weeks ago "use your words". It sounded like he said "I don't know any" but since is is barely talking I am not sure if that is what he said. All I could think though is "you and me both kid".
I am not sure why I have not purchased it yet, but it sounds like I need to buy that book. It's probably because I have paid for her over the phone consulting, I didn't think to get the book. we are always learning or we are not growing...I am off to buy that book....thanks for the reminder......
Ariana 03:38 PM 03-25-2015

This forum rocks

NannyDe's books are so so good!!
jgcp 04:45 PM 03-25-2015
Thats awesome!! I am getting there and this forum helps me soooo much!! weather its one of my posts or just reading others, In fact i just sent out a letter informing parents that contracts will have updates/changes and will be ready by mid April. Its to address some issues that really really bug me and just writing the letter made me feel so much more in control of all this and i needed that!

KiddieCahoots 07:57 AM 03-26-2015
Hiiii..... I'm so..in..so, and I'm a jellyfish.
(Said by the group), hi so..in..so, jellyfish. ...............

Sadly...I am still more a part of the jellyfish group then I care to be

But thankfully working on it with the awesome inspriation and wisdom of people like you Daycare

Congratulations! This is a huge milestone!
daycare 08:16 AM 03-26-2015
lol you are so funny....nice intro..

haha Yeah it feels so good. It makes me even feel more empowered with my parents. I can see a huge difference in how they respect me when i am firm and put my foot down. I am much more professional and they treat me this way.

But it has not been an easy walk getting here, or should I say crawl, because it took me a long time to get here.

If I can do it, anyone can do it....just patience, practice and confidence. AND the only way to get that confidence is do it. Fall on your face a few times, get back up, dust yourself off and do it again.
KiddieCahoots 08:39 AM 03-26-2015
lol you are so funny....nice intro..

haha Yeah it feels so good. It makes me even feel more empowered with my parents. I can see a huge difference in how they respect me when i am firm and put my foot down. I am much more professional and they treat me this way.

But it has not been an easy walk getting here, or should I say crawl, because it took me a long time to get here.

If I can do it, anyone can do it....just patience, practice and confidence. AND the only way to get that confidence is do it. Fall on your face a few times, get back up, dust yourself off and do it again.
Gotta be able to laugh at ourselves with our own follies...right!?

The bold part is where I still falter.
It's that dang fine line again of business being closly related to their personal...children.
When dcp's test boundaries and you give a little, feeling good about being able to offer it, and that you will be appreciated for doing them a favor, it usually comes back to bite you in the a**!
You give them an inch, they take a mile.
And if that happens, where they do start to expect favors more and more, you no longer feel good about yourself and how you are running your business.
Such a catch 22!

That's why it's Soo... nice to see posts like this!
I admire you, and have hope
Laura5287 10:01 AM 03-26-2015
I hope to not be a Jelly Fish one day. I am learning this as we speak. It sure is a hard road but I have found that I need the honesty from the people here to help me get through it all. I don't know why I didn't find this place sooner.
Thriftylady 02:58 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Gotta be able to laugh at ourselves with our own follies...right!?

The bold part is where I still falter.
It's that dang fine line again of business being closly related to their personal...children.
When dcp's test boundaries and you give a little, feeling good about being able to offer it, and that you will be appreciated for doing them a favor, it usually comes back to bite you in the a**!
You give them an inch, they take a mile.
And if that happens, where they do start to expect favors more and more, you no longer feel good about yourself and how you are running your business.
Such a catch 22!
Hubby says "it is much easier to start out tough and be nicer later if you choose to, it is harder to start out nice and then get tougher." He's right but that doesn't make it easier for me lol.
daycare 03:03 PM 03-26-2015
lmao if it were only that easy right...
Reply Up