Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you make an exception on hours?
NorthernMNgal 10:30 AM 03-24-2015
I am watching a little girl this week whose Mom has to work until 6 a couple nights per week. I close at 5:30. I told Mom I would help out until she can find someone else. Now I'm having second thoughts and think I should take her. She is a sweet little girl and fits in well with our group. And preschool age kids are hard to find in my area (almost all calls I get are for infants). The extra cash would be nice. What would you do?
Thriftylady 10:46 AM 03-24-2015
It really comes down to what do you want? Right now I am offering more hours than I want to, but it is because I am trying to get restarted. Once I am established again, I may not offer as many. For me right now in my area it is something I need to do.
NorthernMNgal 10:53 AM 03-24-2015
It is tempting to take her because I'm trying to pay off debt right now so that extra $500 per month sounds nice! I just don't want it to become an every night thing because we do value our evening family time.
Annalee 10:56 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
It is tempting to take her because I'm trying to pay off debt right now so that extra $500 per month sounds nice! I just don't want it to become an every night thing because we do value our evening family time.
Contract her for the extra couple nights she needs care and charge extra. Make it worth your while while making the pay stiff enough she doesn't abuse your generosity.
Blackcat31 10:59 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
I am watching a little girl this week whose Mom has to work until 6 a couple nights per week. I close at 5:30. I told Mom I would help out until she can find someone else. Now I'm having second thoughts and think I should take her. She is a sweet little girl and fits in well with our group. And preschool age kids are hard to find in my area (almost all calls I get are for infants). The extra cash would be nice. What would you do?
If you do decide to offer her the time after your closing time, make sure you charge for it.

I offer care 30 minutes before or after my open/closing times @ $2.00 for every 15 minutes or portion of AND with advance notice.

Also if you do decide to do this, make sure you notify licensing as MN state rules dictate we cannot provide care outside our operating hours (whatever hours you listed on your licensing app or re-licensing paperwork).
sharlan 11:01 AM 03-24-2015
I am doing that for one family right now. Dcd works nights, dcm goes to school. Right now, dcm gets out of school early 2 days a week, goes until 7:15PM 2 days a week and is off on Fri. Dcg is kept home on days that either parent is home. They pay full time, but generally only use 1 or 2 days a week, rarely 3. It's really worth it for me.
daycare 11:27 AM 03-24-2015
I have not started this yet, but this is what will be happening starting April 1 at my childcare.

This is a sample..

traditional hours are 8a to 5p, flat rate fee for full time is $200 week.

I will open as early as 730a and stay as late as 530p

if you need before 8am, it will cost you an extra $3.50 for up to 1/2 hour

if you need after 5pm, it will cost you an extra $3.50 for up to 1/2 hour.

So if you come at 745am drop off, it's an additional $3.50 each day. if you stay after 500 its an additional $3.50, if you attend from open to close, it's an additional $7.00 each day.

I have already set up my accounting software called sandbox to do all of th and am super excited..

I really only want to work from 8-5....so far all of my parents are hoping on to this schedule accept 2 and I may be telling them that I won't continue to offer care outside those hours for only 2 kids, but we shall see.
Reply Up