Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Much Stuff
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:10 AM 03-25-2015
I think I have too much "stuff" for these kids. I have all kinds of things, but they don't seem to play with them as much as they toss the stuff out and just flop all over it. I've got stuff stacked in the garage that has been out there since Christmas and I have no intention of bringing it back in. I have considered putting it on Craigslist or a trash/treasure site to afford my addiction to Lakeshore catalog. I had given a lot of thought to rotating the big stuff, but that isn't going to work out. I think I need less stuff, but a lot more of each new thing.

Example... I have two potato heads. Maybe I need to get 4 more.
I have mega blocs but only about 15-20 of them.
I have a little people farm set and fisher price Wild West set.
I have a music bin with all types of instruments.
I have two see and say but these are hardly ever even touched.
I have a big market place kitchen (which is a big hit).
I have two mini-mouse playsets
I have a tea party set.
I know it sounds like not a lot but 80% of it is just tossed out of the buckets.
In the garage I have
Chalk/dry erase board.
Little Mirmaid hair set. (Kids would fight over it like crazy)
Little people castle. (Toddlers would use it as a step stool)
Little people Van.
Dora play house. (Would be knocked over and climbed on.
Fisher price doll house. (Just really big)
Mammaroo swing
Fisher price lamb swing
Bumbo seat with safety strap.
Elephant mini slide
Baby doll three in one (swing, highchair, cradle).
These are the things that i can't see bringing back in here.
I'm wondering if I should move to a more structured center type thing instead of just putting things on the shelves and letting them have at it. The bins I have no problem with switching out.
I'm sure you can tell by the picture it doesn't look like a lot till all the bins are tossed around. I've tried the two bins out but that doesn't work because nobody wants to play with the same thing.
Attached: image.jpg (105.8 KB) 
AuntTami 11:18 AM 03-25-2015
I've recently decided the same thing with my playroom. I have too much stuff and not enough of it gets played with. They throw it around and fight over it, but hardly "play" with it. I've decided to get to a more structured center idea. Everything in seperate color coded bins and color rugs on the floor. The yellow bin goes to the yellow rug and Max of 2 kids per rug. I haven't implemented it yet because I'm waiting for garage sale season so I can find different toys that will work with that idea. A lot of mine are bigger toys that won't fit in a bin but I have toddlers and up, no little crawlers yet, so for now the smaller toys( mega blocks, etc) will be great for the binss.
Thriftylady 11:19 AM 03-25-2015
Wish I lived closer, I would come shop at your house!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:29 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wish I lived closer, I would come shop at your house!
It is stuff that I have picked up over the last four years or old birthday/Christmas gifts of my kids that they stopped playing with. Plus I went a little overboard when a few military spouses closed their daycares.
Thriftylady 11:33 AM 03-25-2015
Yes I am slowly adding from thrift stores and such myself. Sometimes I get really lucky, other times it is hard to find good used stuff. Some days I go to the thrift stores and such and find all trash lol.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:34 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I've recently decided the same thing with my playroom. I have too much stuff and not enough of it gets played with. They throw it around and fight over it, but hardly "play" with it. I've decided to get to a more structured center idea. Everything in seperate color coded bins and color rugs on the floor. The yellow bin goes to the yellow rug and Max of 2 kids per rug. I haven't implemented it yet because I'm waiting for garage sale season so I can find different toys that will work with that idea. A lot of mine are bigger toys that won't fit in a bin but I have toddlers and up, no little crawlers yet, so for now the smaller toys( mega blocks, etc) will be great for the binss.
That is a fantastic idea. I also seen in one of NannyDe (I think that is her name on here) videos where she uses towels to create a boarder area. So I could use that to section off the kitchen area to keep that stuff contained. I have (3) 2-yr old and (2) 4-yr old. One of them is my dd.
I'm glad Im not alone in my stuff situation. I recently decided to commit myself to being a long haul daycare provider so I'm trying to get more organized. I don't have a lot of space at the moment but it could always be worse.
Peaches 11:35 AM 03-25-2015
I had a similar problem earlier this year. I put doors on the shelves that I storage toys on to reduce the toy dumping. Then I reduced my play area so it's smaller. Now the kids play much better and are more focused and content with the toys
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:36 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Yes I am slowly adding from thrift stores and such myself. Sometimes I get really lucky, other times it is hard to find good used stuff. Some days I go to the thrift stores and such and find all trash lol.
Oh yeah I totally get that. I got lucky too when a friend moved and cleaned out her back building. Plus I look for sales at Target and places like that. I can't wait for yard sale season... If this winter will ever end
Heidi 12:16 PM 03-25-2015
I've been thinking a lot about this, since I am planning my new space. Watching what they actually play with here and what they mostly just carry and dump is interesting.

The youngest in my group is now 20 months, then a 21 mo, and a 26mo. Will be adding a 27mo and an infant next week.

For my new space, which is dedicated daycare with TWO rooms, I am planning the main playroom as a housekeeping area, a couple cuddle corners, a block area of some sort, manipulatives, and maybe a separate area for the infant (a big superyard).

I am going to put shelves around part of the room, with a good part of the toys out of reach, but in view. Then, they can "trade" me a basket for a basket, and I can rotate out.

If they want Mr. Potato Heads in the manipulative area, then they can trade a different basket, kwim?

I got these baskets, which I already have 8 of, and I'm very happy with. They look like wicker but are almost indestructible:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're big enough to fit a decent sized set of magna tiles, Mr. Potato Heads, cars, small blocks, etc. each.

I also have some dramatic play accessories that they're just not ready to have out. A toaster, coffee maker, mixer and Melissa and Doug Pizza (pepperoni removed). All these items are fodder for fighting and then get thrown on the floor. I also ordered a cash register with my QRIS grant, and I'm sure that'll be the same, so it'll be out of reach but available.

The other (tiled) room will be for meals and art, plus a light table, sensory table, and puzzles (they throw those on the floor, too, and then step on them). That room will be used only under very tight supervision, and they can earn the right to use it by showing me they're ready (like not dumping the sensory stuff or banging on the light table). I'm planning on adding some Montessori activities on trays, which I will introduce to one child at a time, as they're ready. This could be an option for some alone time for a child who is ready.

All this, and we'll probably spend 3/4 of our day outside once we move.

I also got "washing babies" which I hope to use outside for dramatic play.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 03-25-2015
Ok, I have LOTS of stuff too ...when you have an entire house just for daycare AND a 2 stall garage, you tend to collect a lot. However, I do not put everything out at one time as there would be nothing but chaos and I do not do well with chaos.

For example today, we have the following items out for choices during free play:

Last week I had out:

I have a ton more things but that ^^ is a sample of what I mean.

I switch it up each week. I only allow 3-4 (depending) kids at one time do any one activity. Kids cannot choose the same activity 2 days in a row.

There are some things that are out and available for the kids to choose from at all times, things such as art/craft materials, books and the toy box (a bin of random things).

I have centers (dramatic play, science, math, writing etc) too but those are part of our afternoon (or mornings on T/Th) activities. The things I listed above are part of our free -choice play time.

I believe the children should spend their day making choices not following directions. I "direct" by what items, activities and centers are open and available and at what times of the day.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:32 PM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, I have LOTS of stuff too ...when you have an entire house just for daycare AND a 2 stall garage, you tend to collect a lot. However, I do not put everything out at one time as there would be nothing but chaos and I do not do well with chaos.

For example today, we have the following items out for choices during free play:
  • My Little Pony's (I have over 100 with brushes/accessories)
  • Mr Potato Heads (I have 25 heads both big and small and a LARGE bin of accessories)
  • Large Duplo blocks (I have a Rubbermaid 30 gal size tote)
  • DollHouse (13 gal Rubbermaid tote of accessories)

Last week I had out:
  • Hot Wheel cars with roads/buildings (I have 2 crates of Hot Wheels, several puzzle mat roads and several community buildings...police station, airport, fire dept etc)
  • Magnetic Dolls (Melissa and Doug...I have 14 individual sets in one big tote)
  • Wooden Blocks (I have a 50 gal Rubbermaid tote)
  • Lacing Beads/Cards (I have a dozen laces, 24 cards and 100+ wooden/plastic beads)

I have a ton more things but that ^^ is a sample of what I mean.

I switch it up each week. I only allow 3-4 (depending) kids at one time do any one activity. Kids cannot choose the same activity 2 days in a row.

There are some things that are out and available for the kids to choose from at all times, things such as art/craft materials, books and the toy box (a bin of random things).

I have centers (dramatic play, science, math, writing etc) too but those are part of our afternoon (or mornings on T/Th) activities. The things I listed above are part of our free -choice play time.

I believe the children should spend their day making choices not following directions. I "direct" by what items, activities and centers are open and available and at what times of the day.
Eeeek I love the idea of doing that. I need to get more of the same type of toys so that they are able to really "play" with them. At least I hope they do.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:34 PM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I've been thinking a lot about this, since I am planning my new space. Watching what they actually play with here and what they mostly just carry and dump is interesting.

The youngest in my group is now 20 months, then a 21 mo, and a 26mo. Will be adding a 27mo and an infant next week.

For my new space, which is dedicated daycare with TWO rooms, I am planning the main playroom as a housekeeping area, a couple cuddle corners, a block area of some sort, manipulatives, and maybe a separate area for the infant (a big superyard).

I am going to put shelves around part of the room, with a good part of the toys out of reach, but in view. Then, they can "trade" me a basket for a basket, and I can rotate out.

If they want Mr. Potato Heads in the manipulative area, then they can trade a different basket, kwim?

I got these baskets, which I already have 8 of, and I'm very happy with. They look like wicker but are almost indestructible:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're big enough to fit a decent sized set of magna tiles, Mr. Potato Heads, cars, small blocks, etc. each.

I also have some dramatic play accessories that they're just not ready to have out. A toaster, coffee maker, mixer and Melissa and Doug Pizza (pepperoni removed). All these items are fodder for fighting and then get thrown on the floor. I also ordered a cash register with my QRIS grant, and I'm sure that'll be the same, so it'll be out of reach but available.

The other (tiled) room will be for meals and art, plus a light table, sensory table, and puzzles (they throw those on the floor, too, and then step on them). That room will be used only under very tight supervision, and they can earn the right to use it by showing me they're ready (like not dumping the sensory stuff or banging on the light table). I'm planning on adding some Montessori activities on trays, which I will introduce to one child at a time, as they're ready. This could be an option for some alone time for a child who is ready.

All this, and we'll probably spend 3/4 of our day outside once we move.

I also got "washing babies" which I hope to use outside for dramatic play.
I can't wait to move. This house is sooooo small compared to what we need. Hopefully by next summer we will have a new house. My must have list is formal living and dinning room for daycare space.
daycare 01:37 PM 03-25-2015
I don't want to admit how much stuff I have, but I do very similar to BC, i rotate out.

I also have theme buckets.....so for example this month we are learning about spring, weather and rainbows, so I have toys that relate to all of those items.

I will put away the train tracks and pull out the theme bucket...this months has water cans, could pillows, flower pots, fake flowers to put in the pots to arrange how they wish, spring puzzles, really cool rainbow stuff. Tons of rainbow things. I also bring out the whole garden kit to the sandbox/ garden area and let them have at it. Wheelbarrow and all.

It will get put away at the end of the month, I will swap it out for something else like maybe the doll house. next month we will make some commotion in the ocean and have lots of toys for that too....
Gemma 02:18 PM 03-25-2015
I store the toys that don't get played with, on high shelves and if they don't seem to interest anyone I put them in the closet or garage, but I don't get rid of them cause they might interest the next group of kids.
...What I don't do, is get more of something, that no kids seem to want to play with!
Reply Up