Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Complaining of Hunger
mamamanda 08:57 AM 03-27-2015
3 of my kids, Ds included, complain they are hungry CONSTANTLY. I make the meal at our normal time. They eat 3-5 bites & ask to be excused. I remind them yet again that they need to fill their bellies. It will be a while until the next meal. They refuse to eat another bite. Literally 15 minutes after the meal they are complaining again. "I'm hungry. Please get me food. But my belly hurts." And on it goes. Next meal time it is the exact same thing. I don't understand. I don't give in & feed them between meals so I don't understand why they are doing this. They can't actually be hungry or they would eat when I serve the food. Meal times are spaced 2 and a half to 3 hours apart so its not that long to wait. I know it's not really my problem, its their choice to eat or not eat. But the complaining is driving me batty. Ugh.
Rockgirl 09:03 AM 03-27-2015
"Snack is after nap." That's all I would ever say. Repeat, repeat.
daycare 09:10 AM 03-27-2015
i would require that they sit for the full 15 min at the table and they can choose to eat or not. Then i would ignore them.

Im hungry ok, go play.

My tummy hurts, Ok go play

they will see that they are not getting a reaction out of you..

When they are sitting down to eat give a slight reminder, your tummy is gong to hurt again if you don't eat all of your food and leave it at that.

I went through a phase where we had to extend meals to 25 min because the kids were eating so slow. I thought about it long and hard and realized that the kids were eating in front of the tv at home and this is why we were having this issue.

I asked parents to stop giving them screen time with meals, some did and it helped out a lot.

I also made all of the kids sit at the table until everyone was done. If you are done you can sit and drink your milk, water or color a picture at the table. this way they are not trying to just get down to go play with their friends.
AmyLeigh 09:14 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
3 of my kids, Ds included, complain they are hungry CONSTANTLY. I make the meal at our normal time. They eat 3-5 bites & ask to be excused. I remind them yet again that they need to fill their bellies. It will be a while until the next meal. They refuse to eat another bite. Literally 15 minutes after the meal they are complaining again. "I'm hungry. Please get me food. But my belly hurts." And on it goes. Next meal time it is the exact same thing. I don't understand. I don't give in & feed them between meals so I don't understand why they are doing this. They can't actually be hungry or they would eat when I serve the food. Meal times are spaced 2 and a half to 3 hours apart so its not that long to wait. I know it's not really my problem, its their choice to eat or not eat. But the complaining is driving me batty. Ugh.
Are you at my house? Lol.

For my group, I think it's out of habit. They graze at home. Other times it's a coping mechanism. My 3 preschoolers are introverts and when they get overwhelmed they ask to eat.
I just keep on with the "Sorry, it's not time to eat yet." But I understand how the complaining is exhausting.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:08 AM 03-27-2015
I am willing to bet that they get "something better" at home between meals and they are waiting for you to hand them crackers, cookies, chips etc.

First of all we do sit for at least 15 minutes. I have one that always says "done" but will eat everything if I ignore her and give her time.
Second, I would place their uneaten plate in the frig and when they start in I would plop it in front of them and say great now you can eat this! Of course I wouldn't reheat or anything.
Of course they will not want it so then it is next meal.
Shell 10:15 AM 03-27-2015
I could have written this myself yesterday! I was practically pulling out my hair listening to the, "I'm hungry, please please more snack".

I definitely think it has to do with all the grazing they are allowed to do at home.
Don't like your meal?! Don't sweat it- dcm will give you crackers till you explode!

Well, I don't do that here either! I decided yesterday to give the kids an organic vanilla yogurt with afternoon snack- that kept them quiet for a while.

Today, I pushed lunch back about 15 mins and everyone devoured it.

They all know where my snack closet is and hang out there- I just tell them, "snack is later, please go play!"
Unregistered 10:23 AM 03-27-2015
Our meals are timed and children must stay at the table until they either finish or time is up. If they start misbehaving I excuse them and they get to lay down until lunch is over.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:29 AM 03-27-2015
I decided to eliminate a.m. snack and change our schedule a little when I was experiencing the same issue.

It used to be breakfast at 7:30/8:00, snack at 10:00, lunch at 12:30, nap at 2:00, snack at 4:15. I realized the kids were living for snacktime food, and picking at meals.

So now we do breakfast at 8:00/8:30, lunch at 11:30, nap at 1:00, snack at 3:15.

Only get reimbursed by FP for 3 feedings anyway, and it felt like just when I cleaned up from one round of food, it was almost time for another! Getting rid of one snack and spacing out the serve times ensured that they were genuinely hungry at lunch...you know, when the veggies come out...and they actually E - A - T!
mamamanda 11:54 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I decided to eliminate a.m. snack and change our schedule a little when I was experiencing the same issue.

It used to be breakfast at 7:30/8:00, snack at 10:00, lunch at 12:30, nap at 2:00, snack at 4:15. I realized the kids were living for snacktime food, and picking at meals.

So now we do breakfast at 8:00/8:30, lunch at 11:30, nap at 1:00, snack at 3:15.

Only get reimbursed by FP for 3 feedings anyway, and it felt like just when I cleaned up from one round of food, it was almost time for another! Getting rid of one snack and spacing out the serve times ensured that they were genuinely hungry at lunch...you know, when the veggies come out...and they actually E - A - T!
I was actually just thinking about doing that! I have 2 that come at 8 & my Ds gets up just before they get here. Others get here at 9. I was doing breakfast at 8, snack at 10:30, lunch at 12:30, afternoon snack at 3. I think my early birds just aren't ready to eat that soon after waking & my 9:00 group really is hungry when they get here. So I'm thinking about doing breakfast at 9:00, lunch at 12:00, afternoon snack at 3. I'll just skip morning snack all together.
mamamanda 11:59 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
i would require that they sit for the full 15 min at the table and they can choose to eat or not. Then i would ignore them.

Im hungry ok, go play.

My tummy hurts, Ok go play

they will see that they are not getting a reaction out of you..

When they are sitting down to eat give a slight reminder, your tummy is gong to hurt again if you don't eat all of your food and leave it at that.

I went through a phase where we had to extend meals to 25 min because the kids were eating so slow. I thought about it long and hard and realized that the kids were eating in front of the tv at home and this is why we were having this issue.

I asked parents to stop giving them screen time with meals, some did and it helped out a lot.

I also made all of the kids sit at the table until everyone was done. If you are done you can sit and drink your milk, water or color a picture at the table. this way they are not trying to just get down to go play with their friends.
I really like the idea of keeping them all at the table b/c I do think that's part of our problem with them only eating a few bites. Once one child asks to be excused its all over. Maybe I will set a timer & no one can be excused until after it dings. Thanks!
Leigh 12:01 PM 03-27-2015
Today, for the first time ever, I am serving exactly the same thing for snack that I served for lunch. I made Italian roast pork, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, and roasted carrots for lunch today-something ALL of my kids have loved in the past. They complained of hunger all morning (I reminded them that they should have ate their breakfast-pancakes, eggs, strawberries...only the strawberries were consumed). While slicing the pork, they were begging for a bite. I was so happy that they were finally going to eat something!

NO ONE at lunch. The 18 month old sat and looked at it and cried. The 3 year olds played with it (one threw his on the floor, one took 2 bites of mashed potatoes). Of all of my kids, only 1 ate, the one that slept through lunch (13 months old-will eat a shoe if you put it on a plate).

I give up. They all ask for fruit snacks when they walk in the door (with chocolate around their mouths). They all ask for fruit snacks, ice cream, pop tarts, etc. all day long. "You got any pop tarts?" "You got cupcakes?". They don't get that stuff here, so I am guessing that this is what they get for not eating at home. I'll probably see tears at snack when they get pork sandwiches, but this has got to stop. All the effort I put into cooking a variety of foods for them, and they hold out all day until they can go home and get what they want. It's just so frustrating, especially when they all used to eat whatever I made!
Unregistered 12:08 PM 03-27-2015
They have tiny little bellies though. Most bellies are the size of their fist. So they eat less but process much faster.
Thriftylady 12:48 PM 03-27-2015
I have a DCB like this. I will offer him something like an orange or carrots when he says that and he turns it down. One day we had cupcakes (birthday) and he wanted another one and I offered him more pears and he turned them down. Half an hour later he was asking for another cupcake, offered him more pears he turned them down. My theory is if they are really hungry they will take what is offered especially when you are offering something you know they eat. If they turn down the offer, it is pickiness and they are looking for us to give in. My theory anyway.
Unregistered 12:51 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

Same here! And my meal schedule is the same now too!
redmaple 07:29 PM 03-27-2015
"I'm hungry" is always followed by "That's GREAT! you will have a good appetite for lunch, snack, dinner..."
jenboo 09:03 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They have tiny little bellies though. Most bellies are the size of their fist. So they eat less but process much faster.
The issue being discussed is that they all say they are hungery but won't eat the food they are served because that want "snack food/treats". It has nothing to do with the size of their stomachs
Controlled Chaos 09:08 PM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by redmaple:
"I'm hungry" is always followed by "That's GREAT! you will have a good appetite for lunch, snack, dinner..."

Reply Up