Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gak Aka Slime Aka Borax and Glue
sharlan 09:02 PM 03-30-2015
My youngest dd, the one who doesn't live here, decided to make Gak for her dd's school project tomorrow. Oh, yes she decided to make it here instead of her house. Guess who ended up with all the dirty dishes?

As if that wasn't bad enough, the grandsons decided to swing their bags of Gak at each other and one of the bags split open onto my carpet. Sil was trying to scrape it up. Other dd poured vinegar on it and it came right up.

Vinegar removes Gak from carpet like magic.

Yes, I still love my grandsons, somebody has to.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 03-31-2015
Love your last statement.

I've bought all the ingredients but have yet to make Gak. Was it easy to do? Did it turn out right?

I dread it being stuck in the carpet or hair or anything else. That's probably the biggest reason I've held off on making any.

Maybe I'll make sparkly pastel colored Gak and put a little in those plastic Easter eggs so the kids can each take some home.
daycarediva 05:35 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Love your last statement.

I've bought all the ingredients but have yet to make Gak. Was it easy to do? Did it turn out right?

I dread it being stuck in the carpet or hair or anything else. That's probably the biggest reason I've held off on making any.

Maybe I'll make sparkly pastel colored Gak and put a little in those plastic Easter eggs so the kids can each take some home.
We did homemade bouncy balls (similar recipe). Less mess (after it's made, anyway).

LOL Sharlan! Good to know about the vinegar! I might try that on the sticky tack stuck in my entryway rug.
Shell 05:47 AM 03-31-2015
I used to work in an afterschool program and made this stuff with the kids.

We put all the ingredients in a sealed bag, inside another sealed bag and mushed it- the kids loved it. This is an activity that teachers have done for decades, right?! It was even one the teachers at this school had done numerous times.

Well as it so happened, one of our students had a mom that was an attorney. She lost it about us using borax because apparently it can be poisonous and she made such a production about how we shouldn't use these ingredients with kids, blah, blah.

We assured her it was all sealed and well contained, but she was irate.

I just share this story any time anyone mentions this stuff- in case you have a dcm like this!
nanglgrl 06:55 AM 03-31-2015
You couldn't have posted this at a better time. we made gak last week and my son must have gotten some on his sock because when I removed the clothes from the dryer his sock was stuck to my shirt, I've been soaking it and wondering how to get all of the gak off!
He also got it in his hair..lthankfully a bath and fine tooth comb was all it took.
sharlan 07:45 AM 03-31-2015
They got it on my grandson's stuffed shark and my dd put vinegar on a rag and wiped it right off.

I don't know if it will work once it's been through the dryer, but it's worth a try.

I've been wanting to make some for a sensory activity, but I'm not too sure now.
KiddieCahoots 08:48 AM 03-31-2015
Vinegar to clean it out of rugs! So good to know!
I love the stuff and make it all the time.
My kids and I like to play with those small plastic animals in it. The gak, (we call it flubber ) comes off pretty easily.
Another helpful tidbit, It'll stay forever if you keep it in a ziplock freezer bag in the refrigerator. Otherwise, if left out at room temperature, it can get moldy.
Thriftylady 03:58 PM 03-31-2015
Now I am curious about the bouncy balls!
daycare 04:05 PM 03-31-2015
good to know this....we make this monthly, love it and love to do all kinds of different things with it.

we usually make ours outside, but we let the kids take it home, so i could pass this remedy on if ever needed.

Hope your GS had a good time with it....
DaisyMamma 03:15 AM 04-01-2015
Gak is poisonous, so make sure the littles don't eat it.

My dd is doing a science project and also picked gak!
Reply Up