Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have A Fence??
KEG123 12:37 PM 01-18-2011
First off, is it required in your state?? It's not in mine, so thankfully I'm ok right now.

1 side of our yard is fenced, thanks to one neighbor. The back side is wooded area, and the other side has a small hill leading into the neighbor's yard. We have a deck and a driveway that extends slightly into the yard. Obviously I want a fence, I think it is a necessity for outdoor play time. I'm just curious if there is anyone out there with NO fence that has a sucessful time outside with multiple children? How many kids and what are their ages??

My son is 3 in April and I know even last summer he was always trying to run in the neighbor's yard.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 01-18-2011
Our state requires fencing to be in place to guard children from busy or congested streets but I am not required to have a complete fence or even have one at all if my streets aren't busy/congested. I am on a corner and have fencing on the street sides and on a third side (thanks to neighbor) but not on the side where the alley is. I have kids play outside from age 3.5 on up without me being physically present. I do have a security camera so I can see and hear them AT ALL times and I also have the parents written permission when they (and I) feel their child is old enough to play outside without me being physically outside with them.

Oh and I have to add that I have specific safety rules about boundaries that we practice and go over (like a fire drill) and the kids know that if they EVER go even close to the boundary line (which is waaaay before the actual fence) they lose their outside privledges for 6 months, and can no longer play outside until I can physically take them with the other kids. NO EXCEPTIONS and NO BUTS.
DanceMom 12:56 PM 01-18-2011
I had a fence installed last year - and it is worth every penny for my peace of mind !! The only time it is required if we are on a busy street with within a certain amount of feet from a body of water!
misol 12:56 PM 01-18-2011
Depending on how the property is set up our state can require that you have one. I live in a cul-de-sac and we are far enough away from the main street that runs through our community that I didn't have to have a fence. I would love to have one if I could afford it though.
KEG123 12:59 PM 01-18-2011
I don't think I could ever have kids outside unsupervised. I mean, without me being directly there. If it works for you, cool.

So, I'm curious what everyone's yard sizes are and how much it cost to fence the yard. I'd only be paying for 2 full sides, and one side with maybe 1/4 are to cover (the side where my house sits) I'm not sure how big the yard is, not too big... hmm.
Cat Herder 01:03 PM 01-18-2011
I am required to have a fence, 4ft minimum. Children are not allowed to be in unfenced areas, supervised or unsupervised. No more cul-de-sac walks for us...
kendallina 01:21 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am required to have a fence, 4ft minimum. Children are not allowed to be in unfenced areas, supervised or unsupervised. No more cul-de-sac walks for us...
Wow- you can't even walk around the neighborhood with them? No field trips??
kendallina 01:24 PM 01-18-2011
I don't have a fence either. I'm legally unlicensed. I have a shared yard as I live in a townhouse and I bought some road cones at the dollar store to mark the boundaries. The kids are really great about staying within the boundaries. They know the boundary so well they actually are the ones to set the cones out for me every day.
KEG123 01:44 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I don't have a fence either. I'm legally unlicensed. I have a shared yard as I live in a townhouse and I bought some road cones at the dollar store to mark the boundaries. The kids are really great about staying within the boundaries. They know the boundary so well they actually are the ones to set the cones out for me every day.
Good idea on the cones.

I'm wondering if there are other ideas for cheap alternative to fence but still gives the illusion of boundaries. Of course this would be temporary until we could get a fence.
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Good idea on the cones.

I'm wondering if there are other ideas for cheap alternative to fence but still gives the illusion of boundaries. Of course this would be temporary until we could get a fence.
My husband used to do parking lot stencils and spray painting the parking lines and he used a spray paint similar to what they use on baseball fields so this made me think why not use spray paint. Spray out your boundaries and tell the kids to stay within the lines...easy peasy.
AnythingsPossible 01:47 PM 01-18-2011
I can't imagine having an unfenced yard for daycare! I suppose it depends on where you live, but being in "town" I just can't even fathom the idea of trying to supervise children without a fence. I suppose it has something to do with my controlling nature, but I never would have kids out to play without a fence. Walks yes, play time NO!
KEG123 02:01 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My husband used to do parking lot stencils and spray painting the parking lines and he used a spray paint similar to what they use on baseball fields so this made me think why not use spray paint. Spray out your boundaries and tell the kids to stay within the lines...easy peasy.
Yeah but that would only work for the 3+ crowd I'm thinking.
MyAngels 02:02 PM 01-18-2011
You should check with your county CCRRN about any grants that are available for this. My hubby talked to a dcp a couple of years ago who got her fence paid for that way.
countrymom 02:08 PM 01-18-2011
I have no fence, 1 neighbour on one side, farmersfield behind and a creek/ditch that runs alongside, oh and we have an acre of land. We couldn't put a fence up because the yard is zigzag. With my under 5 crowd, I go outside, I think regardless of a fence anyone even a parent needs to supervise their children under the age of 5.
KEG123 02:16 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You should check with your county CCRRN about any grants that are available for this. My hubby talked to a dcp a couple of years ago who got her fence paid for that way.
Actually I'm going to a "class' this Thursday to find out about getting the grant.

Hence, why I'm thinking of cheap, temporary solutions.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Yeah but that would only work for the 3+ crowd I'm thinking.
Yeah, I guess that would only work for the 3+ crowd, but I would still maybe practice doing it while you are outside with the others because it can still be a learning tool for boundaries.
BentleysBands 03:08 AM 01-19-2011
OMG I love a pp's comment...I too an legally unlicensed
But I do have a fence. Yard is almost 1/2 acre. I am so using the spray paint idea!! At one point I had kids throwing things over the fence or climbing. The spray paint will be awesome to try!
mac60 03:37 AM 01-19-2011
We have a chain link fence, got it over 20 years ago at a cost of about $800. Our yard is not that big though. I know their are cheaper ways of fencing in a property/area. One would be to put up a ranch style fence, and then put the rolled fencing over it....works very well and the fencing is basically invisible. You can go 2 or 3 boards across. Here is a link. http://www.google.com/search?q=rance...rlz=1I7ADFA_en

You could also just do an "area" like 25' x 25', or what ever you wanted to enclose with a gate.
AfterSchoolMom 04:20 AM 01-19-2011
I don't have a fence, and licensing would require one, which is one of the big reasons (though not the biggest) why I'm not pursuing a license.
DCMom 06:00 AM 01-19-2011
I don't have a fence. All my neighbors bordering my yard have landscaped right up to the lot lines, so there is a natural, visual clue as to where my yard ends and the next yard begins. Basically I tell them, if you are off the grass you are out of the yard.

My daycare area is in the walkout, lower level of my house so there is a natural hill that begins at the back edge of the house. I put cones up at the back edge of the house as a reminder not to go up the hill.

I let 3 and older go outside without me directly outside with them (within sight and hearing is the rule here). The cardinal rules for outside is 'Don't go up the hill' and 'Don't go off the grass' if they choose to the consequence is the loss of outside time for the DAY. There are no second chances. They have to sit on chair right inside my walkout door where I can see them (and they can see the other kids ) until we come in. Sounds harsh, but it only takes once and I probably have only done that 5 times in 15 years.

The two and under have direct supervision, so by the time they are 3 they know the rules, lol.

I have 8-12 kids daily, ranging in age from infant to school age, mostly preschool. In Minnesota we are not required to have a fence.
MARSTELAC 06:00 AM 01-19-2011
I am in MN and not required to have a fence unless my county would decide that it would be beneficial. I truly would like a fence (for my dog) but it is not an expense I want right now. I care for 11-12 kids each day and have NO issues with kids straying. Ages 18 months to 11 years, mostly preschool and lower elementary ages.
SandeeAR 06:06 AM 01-19-2011
Just thinking how times have changed. I grew up most of my life in a subdivison (I'm 51). They only people that had fences were the ones with dogs LOL. No one even thought of having to "fence" in the kids LOL!
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Wow- you can't even walk around the neighborhood with them? No field trips??
No. If a field trip is planned my ratio is 1/1 since all of mine are 2 and under. Parents would have to accompany and I do not provide adult care . I think a root canal would be more pleasant.

We do not do field trips, the liability makes it asinine. The parents do not want field trips anyway and sign "emergency only transport" forms to reduce my liability risk.

Times are changing fast.

I do invite the parents to all my weekend ECE training classes. They cover their tuition (usually about $10-$20 a class), leave their kids with DH/Grandparents and we have lunch out. They LOVE this opportunity and IMHO, would pay for that much faster/more willingly than paying for a trip for their kids WITH me. YKWIM? Maybe it is a regional thing?

Edit: I wanted to add that I am in a suburb outside of a major city and all of my parents commute almost an hour to bring their children to my rural/farm setting. They love that I offer several wooded acres, natural creeks, low crime risk and clean air. They are major selling points.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Just thinking how times have changed. I grew up most of my life in a subdivison (I'm 51). They only people that had fences were the ones with dogs LOL. No one even thought of having to "fence" in the kids LOL!
SandeeAR...I love the way you think!

....And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you
the right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"

Tags:fence
Reply Up