Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Sound Fair?
Momof2Boys 07:59 AM 08-07-2010
Hi there! I have been in the process of starting a daycare for a few months and love coming to this site for answers and opinions!

I found a family on Care.com in my area who needs care for her two boys (2 years and 3 years old) anywhere from 8 to 40 hours a week, with Sunday and Mondays off. She posted that she needs the person to come to her home and she can pay $5 to $7 an hour.

So I offered to care for her boys in my home since I have two of my own (3 years old and 10 months old), and offered to charge a set weekly rate since the hours will vary so much. The going rate in our area for full-time care for one child is around $125-$150 a week, so I offered $175-$200 a week for both of her boys (I thought a sibling discount would be nice since I've been in the same position as her - having to pay day care for 2 kids!).

Anyway, I'm wondering if this sounds fair? I need the steady income, but at the same time, I worry that if she only needs me for very few hours a few weeks in a row, she'll realize the rates aren't worth it. But it does average out eventually, and if she were to pay $7 an hour for 40 hours one week, she'd be paying $280! What would you offer in this situation?

Thanks!
Former Teacher 08:08 AM 08-07-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
Hi there! I have been in the process of starting a daycare for a few months and love coming to this site for answers and opinions!

I found a family on Care.com in my area who needs care for her two boys (2 years and 3 years old) anywhere from 8 to 40 hours a week, with Sunday and Mondays off. She posted that she needs the person to come to her home and she can pay $5 to $7 an hour.

So I offered to care for her boys in my home since I have two of my own (3 years old and 10 months old), and offered to charge a set weekly rate since the hours will vary so much. The going rate in our area for full-time care for one child is around $125-$150 a week, so I offered $175-$200 a week for both of her boys (I thought a sibling discount would be nice since I've been in the same position as her - having to pay day care for 2 kids!).

Anyway, I'm wondering if this sounds fair? I need the steady income, but at the same time, I worry that if she only needs me for very few hours a few weeks in a row, she'll realize the rates aren't worth it. But it does average out eventually, and if she were to pay $7 an hour for 40 hours one week, she'd be paying $280! What would you offer in this situation?

Thanks!
Yes I believe that is very fair. In fact, I just responded a parent on craigslist who needed care on weekends only. She wanted to know my rate for 2 boys. I told her for both days and boys it would be $175.00 however it is negotiable. Since I already have a FT job this would be just extra money for me. However in my area with alot of people on state and goverment help, I doubt she will go for that. Wish me luck and I wish you luck as well!
Momof2Boys 08:52 AM 08-07-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Yes I believe that is very fair. In fact, I just responded a parent on craigslist who needed care on weekends only. She wanted to know my rate for 2 boys. I told her for both days and boys it would be $175.00 however it is negotiable. Since I already have a FT job this would be just extra money for me. However in my area with alot of people on state and goverment help, I doubt she will go for that. Wish me luck and I wish you luck as well!
Thanks for the response! Good luck
nannyde 09:15 AM 08-07-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:

Thanks!
My experience with a varied set of total hours is that it turns into the max number of hours they quoted really fast. So... best thing to do is to do an hourly rate with a minimum number of hours per week base pay.

If you have the same rate whether she comes eight or forty you will be working forty pretty quickly.

The varied hours can turn into a lot of late hours, weekend hours, and unscheduled... I need you to work when I tell you to work hours.

If she's offering five to seven an hour for the provider to come to her house she is looking for a DEAL. 7 dollars an hour is super cheap for a nanny job for two kids. Committing to only a minimum of eight hours is crappy too. If she offers 5-7 dollars an hour for her coming to your house go for the 7 dollars an hour especially if any of those hours are saturday hours.

Be beware that this is could turn into a low paying job with crappy evening and weekend hours that are unshceduled and ends up netting you next to nothing and you not knowing from week to week how many hours and how much money you get.
Momof2Boys 09:23 AM 08-07-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My experience with a varied set of total hours is that it turns into the max number of hours they quoted really fast. So... best thing to do is to do an hourly rate with a minimum number of hours per week base pay.

If you have the same rate whether she comes eight or forty you will be working forty pretty quickly.

The varied hours can turn into a lot of late hours, weekend hours, and unscheduled... I need you to work when I tell you to work hours.

If she's offering five to seven an hour for the provider to come to her house she is looking for a DEAL. 7 dollars an hour is super cheap for a nanny job for two kids. Committing to only a minimum of eight hours is crappy too. If she offers 5-7 dollars an hour for her coming to your house go for the 7 dollars an hour especially if any of those hours are saturday hours.

Be beware that this is could turn into a low paying job with crappy evening and weekend hours that are unshceduled and ends up netting you next to nothing and you not knowing from week to week how many hours and how much money you get.
All very good points!! I did make sure to say "$175-$200 up to a certain amount of hours" because I thought of that issue! I also think she is looking for a deal, considering she's offering such a low rate for someone to come to her house.

Yesterday she was really good about replying to my emails within just a few hours. I sent the last email about the weekly rate around 2:00pm yesterday and haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking she is wanting a better deal than what I offered...
thatgagirl 12:26 PM 08-07-2010
wow, she sounds like a winner. The city I just moved out of when I needed a true baby sitter for 2 kids, it was $20 an hour, for a student....it was nuts
Tags:rates
Reply Up