Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Walk The Kids To And From School?
JenNJ 09:39 AM 03-05-2012
My dd and 2 other dc kids will be going to preschool in 2013. There is a local program which runs 9:00 - 12:00 3 days per week. It is affordable and all the parents and I agree it is a nice program. This program is exactly .5 a mile from my home on the same street. We would just need to cross to the other side at a street light.

I do not drive my dc kids anywhere. I don't want that liability. Is it unreasonable to think I could walk 5 dc kids plus my dd to school and home from school 3 days per week? We live in the Northeast so certainly some days it would be cold with possible snow. I would use a triple stroller for my younger 3 dc kids and the 3 going to preschool would walk using the walking rope which I hold.
Unregistered 09:43 AM 03-05-2012
I am up here in ontario, i have walked my daughter to school for two years of kindy, plus gr 1
with all daycare kids in tow. i let the parents know at interview that we do this. i do have back up for extreme weather days. we have to walk through a park area [paved] and cross 1 street. it is great to get out, the snowy days are a pain due to snowsuits. But it can be done and the kids get lots of fresh air. Hope that helps!
MrsB 09:53 AM 03-05-2012
I certainly think its possible. Why dont you try it out a couple times a week and see how it works out before you decide yes or no.
JenNJ 09:54 AM 03-05-2012
I think I will. I mean, we do have a year and a half to prepare

And obviously on days that weather is terrible, school would be closed anyway.
Zoe 09:55 AM 03-05-2012
I think it depends on how many kids you have, what their schedule is, and what your back-up would be for not so great weather. I don't have any advice, I just wanted to give you some points to think about.
JenNJ 10:17 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I think it depends on how many kids you have, what their schedule is, and what your back-up would be for not so great weather. I don't have any advice, I just wanted to give you some points to think about.
The schedule is not an issue. I would just feed the smaller kids before we went to pick up in case they fell asleep in the stroller on the walk. The preschool kids would eat once we returned.

Not so great weather, I would still walk the kids (unless it was a lot of snow, but the school would cancel then). I would just make sure they were wearing proper gear, rain cover on the stroller, and bundled up. Worst case, I could have my neighbor sit with the little ones and walk the older kids.

The most kids I would ever have would be 5 daycare kids plus my daughter. My son is in school full time so he wouldn't be with us on these walks.
Mom&Provider 10:22 AM 03-05-2012
I currently walk with my own two kids (ages 4 & 2) plus two DCK's (both 2) to and from my sons school about 15 minutes from our home 3 days a week.

We have cold weather and snow all winter, so far it's been pretty good tho since I've lucked out with a very mild winter! Next year, my son will be M-F, so that will be the next challange! It's tough some days, but it gets us all outside for a bit even on the cold days when I'd just try to hide!

Get yourself something to move the kids around in that works for you and the numbers you have. I use a large 3 seat wagon with canopy for those bad days and so far it's worked out!
JenNJ 10:26 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
We have cold weather and snow all winter, so far it's been pretty good tho since I've lucked out with a very mild winter! Next year, my son will be M-F, so that will be the next challange! It's tough some days, but it gets us all outside for a bit even on the cold days when I'd just try to hide!

Get yourself something to move the kids around in that works for you and the numbers you have. I use a large 3 seat wagon with canopy for those bad days and so far it's worked out!
I know! We barely had any snow this year. It's been lovely! I was considering a 6 seater stroller for tired legs...
Meyou 12:24 PM 03-05-2012
I think it's very reasonable especially with a triple stroller. I have ponchos for my kids to throw on over snowsuits or other clothes if we get rain.
PitterPatter 06:25 PM 03-05-2012
I walk the children 3 blocks to school and of course another 3 blocks back. Sometimes in bad weather too so upon enrollment I mention this to the client and make sure they understand their child will have to go with us otherwise they can't enroll. When they are little I use a stroller and have the other kids hold the stroller sides and I try to keep a few fingers over their hands as I push so if 1 should let go I can grab the hand quick. I thought about velcro fasteners to strap thier hands to the stroller but then I thought if they fell they could hurt thier wrist so we just go slow and I keep a hold as best I can.
MrsB 09:43 AM 03-06-2012
Just a thought, you might want to make sure you have snow/rain gear kept at your house for each child. I did this instead of requiring they come to daycare with it every day. Parents forget sometimes! Unless you are prepared to turn them away at the door without it. I have had a few parents complain that they had to buy extra snow suits or whatever, but when I explain to them that otherwise, if they accidently forgot they wouldn't get turned away at the door, they are happy to comply!
Reply Up