Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3yr Old Throwing Food
nikia 08:41 AM 02-07-2011
So the dcg threw food at another child I took her plate away and put her down for nap. Now I feel bad because I'm sure she is hungry but I won't stand fort throwing food. What would you have done?
SilverSabre25 08:43 AM 02-07-2011
Exactly what you did. Some things have a zero tolerance policy in my house, and that's one of them. She'll be fine.
jen 08:46 AM 02-07-2011
Exactly as you did. A hungry (3 year old) child will eat it, not throw it.
mickey2 08:48 AM 02-07-2011
Yep same here. You did the right thing!
laundrymom 08:51 AM 02-07-2011
Three things are going to happen,....
1. She will eat her snack so fast today she won't have time to throw it
2. She will tell mom and you are to stand your ground. You did right.
3. She probably won't throw it tomorrow but if she does, give her the shampoo treatment. ---- rinse and repeat.

She will figure it out sooner or later
Little People 08:57 AM 02-07-2011
Yep!! I would of taken food away too!! and naptime you go!
Live and Learn 09:00 AM 02-07-2011
All of my dc parents would want me to do exactly as you did for a food throwing three year old.

I would tattle to the parents at pick up before the three year has a chance to. Then laugh it off with the parent!
MommyMuffin 09:02 AM 02-07-2011
I would have done the exact same thing! There is no reason to throw food.
SilverSabre25 09:05 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I would tattle to the parents at pick up before the three year has a chance to. Then laugh it off with the parent!
Better yet, make the three year old tell her mom!
grandmom 09:20 AM 02-07-2011
Exactly right!

I'd let the mom know what happened, and assure her that darling got enough food to make it to the next meal before she threw some.

She won't starve. When she says at snack that she's hungry, suggest to her that maybe she should have eaten her food instead of throwing it. Then let the conversation be over.

Good for you.
Kaddidle Care 10:11 AM 02-07-2011
Yep, what Grandmom said. You did the right thing. Clearly she wasn't hungry or she wouldn't have been throwing it. One missed meal isn't going to starve the child.

Please give us an update on her lunchtime behavior tomorrow.
SandeeAR 10:29 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Better yet, make the three year old tell her mom!
Ditto. You did the right thing. I would have removed her from the table and put her to bed so fast, she would't have known what was happening!
lvt77 10:37 AM 02-07-2011
hey there... so I would have done the same thing HOWever.... I just had a visit from the food program and i was told that we are never allowed to take away food as punishment... I had this issue and I ended up putting the 3.5 DCG in a highchair and fed her like a baby. Would not allow for her to handel the food. she hated it.

I also would make her clean up all of the food that she threw and put it all in the trash can. it lasted about 3 days and that was the end of it...
DCMomOf3 10:41 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
hey there... so I would have done the same thing HOWever.... I just had a visit from the food program and i was told that we are never allowed to take away food as punishment... I had this issue and I ended up putting the 3.5 DCG in a highchair and fed her like a baby. Would not allow for her to handel the food. she hated it.

I also would make her clean up all of the food that she threw and put it all in the trash can. it lasted about 3 days and that was the end of it...
I would reason it as she took the food away because the child was telling her she was done eating by throwing the food. The punishment was going to nap early.
Live and Learn 11:04 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I would reason it as she took the food away because the child was telling her she was done eating by throwing the food. The punishment was going to nap early.
Throwing food is the international symbol for "I want to be done with lunch."
..........love not being liscenced!
lvt77 11:13 AM 02-07-2011
lol trust me, I agree with you guys. I would do this with my own child. I was just saying what I was told. I also wanted to add that I was also told that all kids have to be offered the same amount of time to eat their food? This is why i fed the child myself, this way I was still in compliance......
Tags:3 year old, table manners
Reply Up