Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I need a Vacation Desperately!!! How Can I Tell the Parents??
Unregistered 11:02 AM 03-31-2010
I am feeling really burned out and did not schedule a spring vacation. I do have a summer vacation planned in August, but I don't think I can wait that long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell the dcp???

I recently had a baby in February and only took off for 2 weeks. I worked in my day care up until the very morning I went into labor. I am soooo tired. With all that is going on, the long hours (7am to 6pm) are really taking its toll on me. I don't know what to do.
momma2girls 01:19 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am feeling really burned out and did not schedule a spring vacation. I do have a summer vacation planned in August, but I don't think I can wait that long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell the dcp???

I recently had a baby in February and only took off for 2 weeks. I worked in my day care up until the very morning I went into labor. I am soooo tired. With all that is going on, the long hours (7am to 6pm) are really taking its toll on me. I don't know what to do.
Can you change your hrs. at all? I used to have hrs. in my contract from 6:00-5:30. Now I only contract for work and commute times only. I am open now from 7:30-4:45- it's great!!! I can get to things on time, can start supper, can get to swim lessons, ball games, gymnastics, religion, girls couts, the list goes on and on....
grandmom 01:30 PM 03-31-2010
Can you hire someone to come in a couple days? It would be cheaper than closing if you lose the income when you close. You could still be around but just take a long nap.
AfterSchoolMom 01:34 PM 03-31-2010
How many families do you have? I'd just be honest and say that you love caring for the kids but that you need a few days' break. Give them as much notice as you can, and just take it. Don't charge them for the time and they'll probably be less annoyed. Even a long weekend (take off Friday and Monday) could make a difference!

Alternately, Do you have any sick days built into your contract? That's an option if you can't figure anything else out.
Crystal 05:16 PM 03-31-2010
How about a long weekend? Close Friday and Monday (and maybe even Tuesday) and take a short trip. I am sure the parents would be very understanding, especially with having a new baby.

Also, try to find little moments for yourself. Take a bubble bath in the evening and read a book, take a walk or ride a bike - you'd be surprised how rejuvinating those little things can be. And remember, NO THINKING ABOUT WORK ALLOWED!!

Hugs, and take care of yourself.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:36 PM 03-31-2010
I don't blame you at all for being burnt out...honestly I couldn't even THINK of doing daycare after I had my girls...I was so tired, they were not good sleepers, and horomones run crazy after having a baby.

I would say you DO need a vacation. Just take one and hope they understand. You are a strong person to start back up so soon after having a baby...AND working up to your due date...I stayed active until the very end of my pregnancy, but if I was doing daycare in my pregnancy, I would want a little R&R without daycare kids for at least a couple weeks before I was due. Good luck....I like the suggestion about hiring someone to fill in when you need a break.
momofboys 04:58 AM 04-01-2010
Definitely pick a weekend that is at least 2-3 weeks from now. Write all parents a note & say you are taking Friday & Monday off or whatever days you want to take off. Then enjoy! In the meantime try to do somethings that bring more relaxation to your day. Put dinner in the crockpot in the morning. Make time to sit & take it easy even if your house chores are not complete. YOu did just have a baby not long ago so please take care of YOU. YOu are the only one who can. ;
AmandasFCC 06:50 AM 04-01-2010
Yup, I've been feeling the same way. I decided to take all 4 days of the Easter weekend off and I'm positive this Tuesday is going to be heaven.
momma2girls 07:02 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
Yup, I've been feeling the same way. I decided to take all 4 days of the Easter weekend off and I'm positive this Tuesday is going to be heaven.
I am really looking forward to having tomorrow off as one of my paid Holidays!! It's been 5 months with no days off, it gets long!!!
Unregistered 08:55 PM 04-05-2010
Do you have a backup sitter?? That is who I use whenever I need somebody to cover for me. ie. my kids have docs. appts., eye appts, school plays etc. This way it is the same gal that is there whenever I am not. The parents know her and so do the kids. I only use her once month, sometimes not even that much, but when I do need somebody it is always the same person. I usually pay her whatever I would have made on the day (or couple of hours) that she is there. She comes to my house so the parents are not inconvenienced at all. It works great for me.
Tags:vacation
Reply Up