Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gloves for Protection
Abigail 10:57 PM 07-31-2010
Where do you purchase your gloves at for diaper changes and accident clean up (if someone gets sick, bloody nose, etc.)

Wal-Mart sells gloves in the home aids department near bandaids, but they also sell cheaper gloves in the painting department. Do you buy from the store shelf to keep a stock on hand or do you buy from a website or company? Thanks!
Michael 02:34 AM 08-01-2010
Costco sells Kirkland SignatureNitrile Gloves are latex free and perfect for a variety of uses. - 24.99 (2 boxes of 150 each)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11298721

QualiTcare 06:08 AM 08-01-2010
25 dollars for 150 gloves!

nannyde 08:42 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
25 dollars for 150 gloves!

No it's two boxes of 150. Look in the product description.

But still .. if you are using them for diaper changes check out this math:

24.99 plus seven percent sales tax in my area: That would be 26.74

26.74 divided by 300 gloves makes each glove 9 cents a piece.

To wear two gloves for each change would be 16 cents per change.

If you have six kids in diapers (that's what I have now)

It would be six kids X four changes for kids = 24 changes per day.

24 changes per day at 16 cents per change would = $3.84 per day.

We are open 242 days per year;

Cost per year: 242 X $3.84 = $929.28 per year.

That's only assumiung you have an average number of kids changed per day and NOT including breast fed babies who IME require 1-2 more changes per day and no kids with bowel issues.

It would easily be a grand a year for my business.

We don't glove to change diapers unless we have a really messy one or we have any exposure to viral diarrhea. We had rotovirus in the day care once ten years ago and we gloved for a few months for that.

I do offer to provide them for an extra dollar a day if the parent wants that. Never had a taker for that.

Do you guys glove with diaper changes? Do you have parents bring them? Are you a part of any accredidation that requires them? If so, is the accredidation allowing you to build that cost into your business to recoop the cost? If you do buy them .. where, what brand, and have you figured out the cost per change?
SunflowerMama 09:43 AM 08-01-2010
I just buy gloves from walmart and only use them for really messy diapers or blood. We aren't required to use them for every diaper change.
emosks 10:24 AM 08-01-2010
We have a box of gloves upstairs in the kitchen with that level's first aid kit and then one in the daycare area with the first aid kit down there. We only use them if there is vomit or blood. Not with diaper changes. Bought them at Sam's Club.
Janet 12:10 PM 08-02-2010
I use gloves for EVERYTHING! I won't even wipe a nose without wearing gloves. I won't change any diaper without gloves. I won't clean spit up or anything else without them. I'm such a germophobe. I use nitrile gloves and I buy them at Target. It's about $4 for a box of 50 gloves. I know that I could get latex gloves cheaper but I'm allergic to latex, so I just get the nitrile. I love the gloves and it's pretty cool that you can also use the dirty glove as a means to wrap up the stinky poopy diapers
Former Teacher 02:48 PM 08-02-2010
We used plastic gloves for poopie diapers. My former center required it. Also for things like blood and vomit etc. The water at the center had extremely hard water. One of the girls hands would actually break out. Everyone else was ok just her hands. Anyway the director bought her special gloves and told her that she didn't have to wash her hands. No no said the state. Regardless she HAD to wash her hands. The director had to wind up buying her some special lotion to help soothe them.

It was odd because at her home, about 10 mins away, her water was fine.
Unregistered 11:53 AM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We don't glove to change diapers unless we have a really messy one or we have any exposure to viral diarrhea. We had rotovirus in the day care once ten years ago and we gloved for a few months for that.
The only problem with this is that you don't always know when you or the other kids are being exposed to something viral/bacterial. I just had a parent call me this past weekend to tell me her dd was tested Friday and was found to be carrying C.diff. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736)

She had had diarrhea two weeks ago when I was on vacation. Last Monday, when I watched her, she seemed fine. When she started to relapse later in the week, her parents brought her to the dr. and she was diagnosed with C.diff. Her mom works in nursing homes and hospitals and they think she picked the bacteria up there and brought it home with her. The whole family had been sick with it and recovered but apparently, the bacteria remained in this little girl. She is on medication now and doing well but calls like the one I got from her mother only confirm for me that using gloves is a good idea.

I know they can be expensive and I resisted using gloves for a long time when I first opened my child care business but I've seen a big difference in terms of how often the kids and I get sick ever since I started using them. I buy mine at Harbor Freight. When they're on sale, I stock up.
nannyde 12:50 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The only problem with this is that you don't always know when you or the other kids are being exposed to something viral/bacterial. I just had a parent call me this past weekend to tell me her dd was tested Friday and was found to be carrying C.diff. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736)

She had had diarrhea two weeks ago when I was on vacation. Last Monday, when I watched her, she seemed fine. When she started to relapse later in the week, her parents brought her to the dr. and she was diagnosed with C.diff. Her mom works in nursing homes and hospitals and they think she picked the bacteria up there and brought it home with her. The whole family had been sick with it and recovered but apparently, the bacteria remained in this little girl. She is on medication now and doing well but calls like the one I got from her mother only confirm for me that using gloves is a good idea.

I know they can be expensive and I resisted using gloves for a long time when I first opened my child care business but I've seen a big difference in terms of how often the kids and I get sick ever since I started using them. I buy mine at Harbor Freight. When they're on sale, I stock up.
I see what you are saying.

I offer it to every parent but have never had a taker. It's their decision and is a dollar a day per child but they would rather save the money and take the risk. I even offer to have them pay for all of the diapering kids if they feel strongly about it. That would be about six dollars a day to cover the whole day care. They don't want to do that either.

I'm not resisting using them. I have a case (12 packs with 100 gloves in the pack) in the house ready to be used. I have already purchased them in advance should I have a client that wants them to be used either for their own child or the entire group to protect their child. I just need clients who are willing to pay for them. The money has to be there to purchase the next case. Can't do that without the clients paying into the fund.

I know.. I know... best interest of the kids. Everybody wants it... Just gotta find the ones willing to pay for it.
Abigail 01:24 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I know.. I know... best interest of the kids. Everybody wants it... Just gotta find the ones willing to pay for it.

Why don't you just raise your rates a dollar a day and use them if you want to. I don't think you should makeask the parents pay for them, that just sounds silly. Work it into your budget if you want to. If gloves are not required, then it should be your personal preference and your choice to pay for them.
nannyde 02:02 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Why don't you just raise your rates a dollar a day and use them if you want to. I don't think you should makeask the parents pay for them, that just sounds silly. Work it into your budget if you want to. If gloves are not required, then it should be your personal preference and your choice to pay for them.
That's a great question.

See when you do any business you have to decide what the market will bear.

In child care you decide what is best interest and and what the market will bear in best interest.

I choose the following best interest:

A one adult to four child ratio. 8 kids with two adults. That's a very expensive best interest.

150 square foot per child of usable space. My State requires 35 square foot per child. That's a VERY expensive best interest.

A fully home made from scratch organic, local, chemical free, grass fed, free ranging, sustainable menu. That is a VERY very expensive in both hard costs AND staff time best interest.

High quality and expansive equipment best interest (both toys and child care equipment) to fill that 150 square foot per child.

See there's lots of best interests that for a dollar a day could make a significant difference in the life of the kids. Tons... I can think of one that I wish I could do but would need to find clients that would be willing to pay for it.

If I were going to have a 1000 bucks a year for something it would be to pay for a sprinkler system for my house with a dedicated phone line to the fire department. It would DEFINITELY be in the kids best interest to be in a home that had a sprinkler system. Unfortunately, the market in my area doesn't pay for something so important...even life saving. Centers have it.. they are required to... but they have a couple hundred kids paying into it at a dollar a day.

The dollar a day for whatever best interest HAS to be paid for. There's an endless supply of "best interests" .. you just have to find the clients that will fund whatever best interest you offer. I offer the gloves. It's up to them to fund that best interest.
MarinaVanessa 02:25 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I know this question isn't directed to me but I wanted to comment. I can see what Nannyde is saying and agree with her on this. I won't charge extra daily if a parent wanted me to use gloves for diapering but I would make the parent supply them. Think of it this way, if none of the other parents want to require using gloves for diapering and all other precautions were being taken such as thourough handwashing and disinfecting after each child then we are already minimizing infection. That being said if a familiy wanted us to be extra careful then I think that any extra supplies should be supplied by the parents. I don't feel that charging all families an extra dollar a day is fair if not all of the families want us using them.

I also have them just in case I HAVE to use them such as for bloody noses, vomit, diarrhea etc. and I don't charge anything extra if I use them for these purposes but if a parent wants me to use them each time then it would be up to a parent to supply them (or the additional cost).

Again, just how I would do it. I have never had a parent ask me to use gloves at all, ever. But I do state in my contract that I supply certain things and everything else must be supplied by the parents.
nannyde 02:56 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know this question isn't directed to me but I wanted to comment. I can see what Nannyde is saying and agree with her on this. I won't charge extra daily if a parent wanted me to use gloves for diapering but I would make the parent supply them. Think of it this way, if none of the other parents want to require using gloves for diapering and all other precautions were being taken such as thourough handwashing and disinfecting after each child then we are already minimizing infection. That being said if a familiy wanted us to be extra careful then I think that any extra supplies should be supplied by the parents. I don't feel that charging all families an extra dollar a day is fair if not all of the families want us using them.

I also have them just in case I HAVE to use them such as for bloody noses, vomit, diarrhea etc. and I don't charge anything extra if I use them for these purposes but if a parent wants me to use them each time then it would be up to a parent to supply them (or the additional cost).

Again, just how I would do it. I have never had a parent ask me to use gloves at all, ever. But I do state in my contract that I supply certain things and everything else must be supplied by the parents.
Oh yeah they can bring them too. Either way you have to have clients that believe it's in the best interest and pay for it. 100 percent believe it is in the best interest. O percent so far are willing to pay for it.
misol 04:27 PM 08-03-2010
I use gloves for diaper changes and a lot of other things too. I buy mine at Costco and pay $18.99 for 400 gloves (2 boxes of 200). I don't use gloves for wet diaper changes. In all but the most serious blowouts, I use only ONE glove per poopy diaper change. So mine last twice as long and it is totally worth the expnse for me. In the beginning I bought 8 boxes of these gloves for only $1 each from a woman who was closing her daycare. They lasted forever.
Janet 11:24 AM 08-04-2010
I teach cpr, first aid, and bloodbourne pathogens for the red cross so I think that part of my germophobe behavior comes from knowing what I know, but also, I went to college to get a nursing degree and standard and universal precautions get drilled into your head during classes, labs and clinicals. Also, my mom passed away back in 2006 from complications from a c-diff infection that went untreated. The c-diff infection caused a MRSA staph infection and she also developed gas gangrene. I went to visit her a month and a half before she died and at that point, she was using depends and had diarrhea all of the time. I knew that it was a c-diff infection and I told her that it looked like that was what she had and all she would need to do was to see her doctor and give him a stool sample. Sadly, she didn't do it but I think that by the time that the c-diff infection started, she had already mentally made up her mind that she didn't want to live with the pain that she was living through (she had diabetes and complete kidney failure. She was on dialysis 4 to 5 times a week. She also had diabetic neuropathy and an enlarged heart as well.) Had she gone to seek treatment for the c-diff right away, then she may have been able to take an antibiotic like Flagyll and it may have cleared up, but I truly think that she was done with the constant pain. C-diff is no joke, no matter what age the person with it is. It's contagious and it can lead to other infections. Probably not in healthy people, but I'd rather use gloves just to set my mind at ease. Watching my mother die from the gas gangrene infection that was started by the c-diff was enough to get me to make sure that always use gloves.
Tags:blood, diapers, germs, gloves, safety, sterile
Reply Up