Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Charge Part-Timers For Your Paid Vacation/Holidays?
Daycare_Mama 11:57 AM 01-24-2011
For those of you who charge for vacation/holidays off, how do you charge those families that only come PT?

For instance, if you have one of your scheduled vacation days on a Monday, but one of your families only comes Tues,Wed, Thur., do you just not worry about them because they aren't coming on your vacation day? Or do you make them not come on Tuesday?

It seems confusing to me. Basically, it seems that part-time families wouldn't have to pay as many holidays/vacation days just because they don't come on Monday & Fridays... which at least for me is when most of my paid days off are.

How do you charge for provider paid days off and still have it be fair to all families?
dEHmom 12:01 PM 01-24-2011
charge them the usual weekly rate.
SilverSabre25 03:36 PM 01-24-2011
If a holiday or vacation day fall on a regularly contracted day, they pay as usual. If the holiday or vacation day do not fall on a regularly contracted day, they don't have to pay. Seems obvious to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by having it be fair...it wouldn't be fair to tell a family that attends TWTh that because you were off on Monday they couldn't come Tuesday.
Daycare_Mama 04:33 PM 01-24-2011
Yes, I agree that's what seems obvious. I just mean normally, at least in my case, all my vacation days always fall on a Monday or Friday. I'm just saying that it seems unfair to a family that comes M-F to have to pay for vacation days, but the T,W,Th family never does just because they happen to not come on the logical days a provider takes off (surrounding a weekend). I don't know if that makes sense or not.

I just remember seeing a post where some providers charge each family a total of 5, 10, whatever it was paid vacation days per year. This applied to PT and FT, so I was just wondering how they did that when days won't always fall on a day when both the PT and FT family are there. But I can't seem to find the thread.
DCMom 04:37 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
If a holiday or vacation day fall on a regularly contracted day, they pay as usual. If the holiday or vacation day do not fall on a regularly contracted day, they don't have to pay. Seems obvious to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by having it be fair...it wouldn't be fair to tell a family that attends TWTh that because you were off on Monday they couldn't come Tuesday.
This is how I handle it also. I have a family who told me from the beginning that she only works T, W, Th because most daycares generally take off Mondays or Fridays. I have to add that she ALWAYS comments when one of my days off falls on one of her contracted days....lol, some people
Daycare_Mama 05:47 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
This is how I handle it also. I have a family who told me from the beginning that she only works T, W, Th because most daycares generally take off Mondays or Fridays. I have to add that she ALWAYS comments when one of my days off falls on one of her contracted days....lol, some people
Hah, yes this is what I'm imagining would happen in some instances. And that's what I meant by doesn't seem fair to the m-f group. I wish there was a way to make it where PT had to pay the same amount of paid days off (or percentage of since they're there less time) as FT families, but I can't figure out a realistic way to do it.
Abigail 08:42 PM 01-24-2011
If your vacation day is a day they don't usually come to care, then they wouldn't pay more or less or skip a day. If you want a day off when all your day is busy, then take off a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday.
MissAnn 02:33 AM 01-25-2011
My part timers pay $5 per day more than full timers and they don't pay vacations or Holidays. Not sure if it's the best way....but it seems to work. I'd love to have all full timers!
dEHmom 04:19 AM 01-25-2011
I agree with Karen.
My new rates as suggested by other members on the forum, is 90/week for part time (20 hrs or less), and 125/week fulltime. they are paying for half the space as a full time person, but they are paying a lot more for it to make up the difference and try encourage them to go full time. but 2 part timers would be 180/week instead of 1 full timer at 125. know what I mean? you're getting your holiday pay in there. I wouldn't worry about it.
Wake up 09:07 PM 04-29-2011
I lost 2 parents recently because I added this in the contract. Mom was unsure as to why she would have to pay for "my vacation" days if her child only came part time, "anywhere I work part time would not give me vacation".... Ugh! This is not a typical 9-5 job plus "my vacation" would only be used for extreme emergencies such as a death in the family or if i'm dying! I am very reliable, she couldn't handle paying a small amount extra IF I took time off for this type of situation... Instead she fired me & is taking time off work (losing more money then what she would have paid me!). Really parents have no idea the drama we go through on a daily basis. We do this job because we love it not because we are money hungry. A lot of the fees we have could be AVOIDED if you stick to contract!!!
cheerfuldom 06:21 AM 04-30-2011
I only have one part timer but parents does not pay for holidays that do not fall on her days here. They also get one day a month unpaid if the little one should miss a day. Not what I normally do but this was a compromise to even get this part timer started. They have only used that "one day" thing once and are very reliably here so its not a problem. A lot of part time families really juggle things to keep the kid out of daycare as much as possible so its much more necessarily to be flexible on the paid days off issue, at least around here it is. I don't have a large enough program and there is so much competition locally that I have to adjust in order to remain competitive for the occasional part timer.
WDW 07:01 AM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

This is what I do as well.
emosks 06:25 AM 05-02-2011
If the holiday falls on a contracted day for them...then they are required to pay.
nannyde 06:43 AM 05-02-2011
I accrue one day per month of paid time off for kids who come three days a week....and one and a half days off paid for kids who come four/five days a week.

I use the days off when I take paid holidays and vacations and let the parents know these are the days I'm using. When I take time off for the kids that have been here a six months or more it just translates into they pay the same weekly rate they would have if I were open.
Tags:part time, part time care
Reply Up