Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Child was Tied to a Chair at Daycare
Tiffer 05:48 AM 10-20-2009
I'm fairly new to the daycare game. My child is 22 months old, but only started going to daycare 2 days a week in May to give our family members a break.

He goes to a daycare facility in Central Illinois, and so far I've been mostly happy with the place. I will say the menu isn't as healthy as I'd like, and I don't see as much interaction with the younger kids. I've been there at all times of the day, as it's close to my job, but I've never seen them reading, singing, etc with the under 3 rooms. But aside from that, friendly teachers, clean facility, etc.

However, I went to pick him up yesterday (he goes on Mondays and Fridays) and got there about my usual time. Well, they were just finishing up snack time, which was kinda late for snack time. I think it's usually an hour earlier. So I see my son sitting at the table, and I call his name and usually he RUNS to me but he just sat there. So I walked over and the teacher came running over and started figdeting with his chair. He was tied to the little plastic chair with a scarf! The other kids I noticed had like a little seatbelt apparatus restraining them. So I said "Oh, got ya tied down there, huh bud?" and the teacher says "Yes, it's the only way they can learn to sit still."

Now, I was angry, but didn't say anything then. I mean, if this is an approved means of teaching kids to stay at the table, fine. I will likely put my kid at a home daycare and be done with it. I am going to call the director today to discuss the fact that he was tied up with a scarf. I mean, if they ran out of the seatbelt things, OK. But maybe you should just have a teacher sit there with him instead of tying him up with a scarf?

Anyway, sound weird to anyone else? I mean, maybe Illinois regulations state that they can use those seatbelt things for meals. It would be like a high chair or booster seat. But if that's the case, I will find a home daycare because if he's gonna sit in a chair, let him sit in a chair. But if you want him immobile, then use high chairs or booster seats. Duh.
tinytotzdaycare 03:04 PM 10-20-2009
this was discussed a lot in another thread...anyway...

was she using the scarf b/c the seat didnt have a belt? We use boosters sometimes and we fasten the belts so they cant fall out or stand up. Maybe the belt was broken..she should replace the seat...

IF SHE HAD IN TRUTH TIED HIM UP I WOULD CALL DHS!!!!!!!
mac60 04:11 PM 10-20-2009
If she was using the scarf as a means of safety to keep him from falling out of the booster seat then honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it.....I personally never understood why they would make a booster seat without a belt, if he was actually hog tied to the chair, well then, hmm. This was just in another thread?????
Former Teacher 05:57 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by tinytotzdaycare:
this was discussed a lot in another thread...anyway...

was she using the scarf b/c the seat didnt have a belt? We use boosters sometimes and we fasten the belts so they cant fall out or stand up. Maybe the belt was broken..she should replace the seat...

IF SHE HAD IN TRUTH TIED HIM UP I WOULD CALL DHS!!!!!!!

But hey, at least this one is registered!
Former Teacher 05:58 PM 10-20-2009
I just checked...so was the other one! But, we haven't heard from that one in awhile so I still don't think that one was even true
tinytotzdaycare 07:15 PM 10-20-2009
More info on this would be great, was she using the scarf so the child wouldnt get out for safety or was he like hogtied??? Makes a HUGE difference
judytrickett 04:17 AM 10-21-2009
Well, I personally don't see the difference between a safety strap and a scarf. If safety was the concern (and perhaps the rule in a state licensed facility) then better to have a scarf than nothing at all. KWIM?

That said, it is my personal belief that if you provide kids with kid-sized furniture throughout the daycare day then have the luxury of sitting untethered. And, it is always better, IME, to TEACH a child that sitting for meals, and staying there is what is polite and appropriate rather than tethering. Because with tethering or confining etc the FIRST time that child is NOT tethered they will be out of the chair. The reason is they have only learned that tethering is the reason the can't get out instead of learning that the need for good manners is the reason they may not leave.

Just my two cents.
Tiffer 07:59 AM 10-21-2009
Ok, I actually called DCFS yesterday. Using the seatbelt things is allowable, and the lady didn't even seem that bothered by the use of a scarf as a temporary restraint if they ran out of the seatbelt things. She said kids can be restrained for mealtimes, but only if they're all restrained. She also said that usually they would have booster seats or high chairs instead of the belt restraints, but they are legal.

How it was set up was, they have those toddler sized, molded plastic chairs, the kind with three slots in the lower back area. The rest of the kids were secured into their chairs with little web belts, similar to what you'd see on a high chair or booster seat. But apparently they'd run out of the belts and just tied Jame into his chair with a scarf. It was around his waist, and tied in the back of the chair through the slots. So, yeah, he was literally tied up, but not the only child restrained.

So, the DCFS lady suggested that I talk to the center director and tell her that my son is to only be restrained by a web belt, not by any other means. Which I did yesterday, but I also told her that I'm likely going to pull him out and send him someplace that doesn't restrain at mealtimes or uses a more conventional restraint like a high chair or booster seat.

I guess the way I see it is, if you're teaching a kid to sit in a chair, teach them. If you just want them to stay put for their meal, put them in a high chair. You aren't teaching them anything by strapping them in to a regular chair. At least, that's my opinion.
sunny 10:16 AM 10-21-2009
I have never heard of a child being tied down at meal time. I work in a different state and am shocked to here this is allowed. We have kid sized tables and chairs and would never think to tie a kid to his seat. My opinion is to go somewhere else which I believe you said you are doing. If the chair is too big for the child then they should find safer chairs because strapping them in with a scarf is not safe.
GretasLittleFriends 01:00 PM 10-21-2009
At my house right now I have 1 high chair and 4 booster seats. One booster seat has a tray that can go on it and be used for a second high chair. One booster seat was not manufactured with a seat belt the other three were. At my house, if the child is 3 years old or less they are buckled into the booster seat. I do this for the safety of the children. The little ones are wiggle worms and I don't want anyone falling out of their chairs because it is a long way to the floor. I use the one that doesn't have a seat belt for the older kids who just need a boost to reach the table.
Chickenhauler 01:17 AM 10-22-2009
Another thing about seat belts-look at any of the booster seats and high chairs, and you will see not only a seat belt, but a strap that extends from the center of that belt down to the center of the seat (a crotch belt, for lack of better terminology).

This is meant so that the kid can't do the "spaghetti noodle" that toddlers are so known for, and slip out, and possible get hung up and strangle themselves. I know that without this strap in place, a high chair or booster seat cannot be used here.

IDK about every scarf, but I've never seen one with a crotch belt.
Tiffer 06:07 AM 10-26-2009
So, Friday, even after I talked to the director about it, I had to pick up my son early. I came in during naptime, and he was sitting at the table up front with two other kids. He's not a good napper at daycare, but he does nap well for me at home, so I'm not sure why. He was strapped in, again! This time with the seatbelt thingy, but come on! If you don't want the kids who aren't napping to disturb the kids who are, then keep them busy. But all three kids who weren't napping were belted into their little chairs, and they were all just working on a puzzle together. And the teacher was just standing off to the side, watching everyone. And there was only one teacher in the room, for 9 children, which I know is not right. I dropped him off this morning, and the director wasn't there. I'm giving her my notice today, and will find a new place to be for my son next week.
Tiffer 06:17 AM 10-26-2009
PS - The chairs are like the ones on this web site:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&category=1127

I've looked and looked, and this is the closest thing I could find to the type of belt they used. It didn't attach to the legs, just looped through those slots in the back of the chair. Notice how old this ad is:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...eat-for-child/
momofsix 06:47 AM 10-26-2009
The add doesn't show how tall the chairs are. At my daycare, if you can sit in a chair without a booster, you shouldn't need to be buckled in. 22 months is really just at the age where I let them sit in a chair, but my chairs are very small and close to the ground, at a short (maybe 2 ft tall) table. If they are taller chairs meant for older children, I would not trust putting a 22 month old without some sort of restraint, just b/c they could fall so quickly, smaller chairs should be fine without a restraint, just have a teacher sitting at the table with them.
Tiffer 08:03 AM 10-27-2009
The chairs are the small kind. My son is 22 months old and he can easily sit down into one or stand up from it. If he fell off the chair, no problem. It would be like falling down from his own feet.

That's what I am saying, there is no safety reason to strap the kids in, they are doing it to 'teach the kids.' In my opinion, teaching children to sit in a chair by strapping them in is like teaching them to nap by strapping them down to the cot. Is that the next step for this place?

Doesn't matter, I'm interviewing several day cares this week. I put in my two weeks notice at that place, only because I could not find a relative or friend to fill the gaps and I have no vacation time left to just keep him at home. I told the lady that my son is NOT to be restrained at all for the next two weeks.

She hasn't been too happy with me, and keeps trying to talk to me about staying when I pick him up or drop him off. HELLO! How do you tie a kid down a second time after I've already talked to you about it once?

Glad he only goes there twice a week.
Unregistered 10:41 PM 10-27-2009
You have every right to be concerned. I live here in Florida and it is aganist the law to restrain a person aganist their will if they are not a danger to themselves or others. But even if it's not i don't i would like my child tied up with a scarf of any kind. please check intop this because this sounds more like child abuse!!

Concerned Parent!!
mac60 02:54 AM 10-28-2009
As I said before "If she was using the scarf as a means of safety to keep him from falling out of the booster seat then honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it.....I personally never understood why they would make a booster seat without a belt, if he was actually hog tied to the chair, well then, hmm."

Hog tied or bound, or strapped in for safety? Big difference here.

I personally don't see anything wrong with what she did, as it appears the center was only taking a safety precaution so your young child and the other children do not fall off of or stand on the chair and get hurt, etc. Using the strap as a preventative measure for falling off is much different than being hog tied and strapped in. I can see these same parents who are complaining about this, complaining the first time their child falls off their seat and bumps their head.....why weren't they strapped in!
Former Teacher 02:41 PM 10-28-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
As I said before "If she was using the scarf as a means of safety to keep him from falling out of the booster seat then honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it.....I personally never understood why they would make a booster seat without a belt, if he was actually hog tied to the chair, well then, hmm."

Hog tied or bound, or strapped in for safety? Big difference here.

I personally don't see anything wrong with what she did, as it appears the center was only taking a safety precaution so your young child and the other children do not fall off of or stand on the chair and get hurt, etc. Using the strap as a preventative measure for falling off is much different than being hog tied and strapped in. I can see these same parents who are complaining about this, complaining the first time their child falls off their seat and bumps their head.....why weren't they strapped in!

Oh brother - I told myself I wouldn't re-post to this thread but I have to. Mac- I agree with you about the complaining. It's darn if you do and darn if you don't

I like to throw this out there. In TX you are REQUIRED to have a child strapped in a seat whether it be a highchair or whatever. At my former center we had a half moon table with 6 chairs. My former director got it from a man selling it for $50. This table is valued in the $100's. It came without straps. The children were FINE in them. Yes they tried to crawl out and some of the taller ones did *smile* However again agreeing with Mac-hog tied or strapped in for protection are totally different. Every one's opinion is different.

FYI: this will tell you about TX licensing. EVERY single rep we had told us to get straps. We never did. I think the director looked into it and we would have to buy a whole new chair. Did we ever get written up for it? NOPE

Tiffer: with all due respect - if you are SO upset about this center, why do you keep on bringing your child there? Even if it is for 2 days a week? Why go and reporting them and causing bad waves etc for only 2 days a week? Again with ALL due respect, parents like you make me cringe. I don't know your situation but if you feel and it sounds like you do feel, that your son is being mistreated, and the providers are not listening to you, why do you still bring your son there?

Parents never cease to amaze me
Chickenhauler 10:57 PM 10-28-2009
Using the strap as a preventative measure for falling off is much different than being hog tied and strapped in. I can see these same parents who are complaining about this, complaining the first time their child falls off their seat and bumps their head.....why weren't they strapped in!
Naw, a 2 year old wouldn't stand in their chair, or climb up and stand on the table, or think they're superman and jump off the table.....(insert sarcasm smiley here).

Once kids (especially boys) figure out walking, their next goal is climb everything in sight....couches, chairs, tables bookshelves, trees, the dog....then once they get up there, they discover the desire to fly, and then discover gravity.

Seen this WAY too many times.
Tiffer 06:57 AM 10-29-2009
Sorry, folks, but my son is not a climber. I'm telling you, this place has these kids strapped down to "teach them" not for safety. The chairs are toddler sized, and my son is almost too big for them. And the fact that the state says it's OK to strap them at mealtimes, but not any other time, and I walked in and he was strapped AT ANOTHER TIME - yes, it's a huge issue.

And as I explained before, I have nowhere else to take him for two days a week. Maybe I should leave him at home, strapped down 'for his safety' so I can go off to work?

He goes someplace new on Monday, and DCFS is opening an investigation against this place after I called to tell them is was strapped down during naptime, along with three other kids.

I love how people, no matter where you are on the web, don't read the whole post and then stick their dumb judgments out there for all to read. Well, for those of us who actually bother to read the whole thing, anyway.

With all due respect, sounds like you people are a bunch of daycare providers who think parents are evil and should just accept whatever measures you think up for our kids 'safety.'

I think I'm the one who is amazed here...
sweetcinna 09:14 AM 10-29-2009
I think i have to agree with the rest of the providers here......All children in my care are strapped into their chairs anytime they sit in them. Here's a lil story for ya.....Had a lil boy in my care (we'll call him Billy). Well Billy was a normal very active 2 year old, not a climber but still very active. One day at lunch Billy decided that he didn't want to eat lunch and turned around in his chair,(the very same Blue chairs that you posted) stradling it with his back to the table and his lunch. Well me being the provider corrected him and asked Billy to please turn around and eat his lunch, Billy didn't listen, once again Billy was asked to please turn around in his chair and i explained to Billy that it is lunch time and not play time and to please listen to Mrs. Cinna, once again no response. So in effort to "teach him how to sit in a chair properly" i walked over to Billy to turn Billy around in the chair myself. Well i didn't make it in time and Billy tried to stand up while stradling the chair and POW, Billy and the chair went face first onto my tile floor busting his nose and lip wide open!
Now if Billy was strapped in (or restrained as you put it) this would have never happened, Billy would not have been able to turn around in his chair and Billy would not have had to get 5 stiches in his lip.
So my question to you Tiffer is this, What happens when your child is strapped (our restrained which just sound morbid) at the next daycare? Are you going to turn them in also?

As far as us all being bitter providers who "think all parents are evil"............This is a place for us to come and talk about our problems and concerns as to being a provider and to help each other, lean on each other and share with each other. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, This(along with nursing) is one of the most Thankless jobs out there!
judytrickett 09:40 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by Tiffer:
I love how people, no matter where you are on the web, don't read the whole post and then stick their dumb judgments out there for all to read. Well, for those of us who actually bother to read the whole thing, anyway.

With all due respect, sounds like you people are a bunch of daycare providers who think parents are evil and should just accept whatever measures you think up for our kids 'safety.'

Wow, really? You really believed you could come onto a daycare providers forum and assume that you wouldn't get the side of a daycare provider? In fact, given what you have posted and the tone of your posts I think everyone treated you rather fairly.

First off, your topic title is a little overboard. It is apparent that you want to blow the situation out of proportion. A child being restrained in a chair that HAS straps on it is, IMO, using the chair as the manufacturer intended. I wouldn't put a child in a stroller that had straps and not use them. WHy is a chair any different?

Originally Posted by :
Well, you got me there. Yep, parents like YOU do make us think you are evil. Sadly, most parents are painted with the same brush because people like you are hard to forget. I sure am glad you are not in my daycare. Oh, wait, if you acted like you said you did here on this forum you wouldn't last long in care!

I have a crystal ball and it says.......you will never be satisfied in any daycare. There will always be something that you are not happy with. Sadly, your child will be shuffled from care situation to care situation, leaving behind those he has bonded with everytime. Why? Because mommy didn't "get it".
Chickenhauler 11:39 PM 10-29-2009
Sorry, folks, but my son is not a climber. I'm telling you, this place has these kids strapped down to "teach them" not for safety. The chairs are toddler sized, and my son is almost too big for them. And the fact that the state says it's OK to strap them at mealtimes, but not any other time, and I walked in and he was strapped AT ANOTHER TIME - yes, it's a huge issue.

And as I explained before, I have nowhere else to take him for two days a week. Maybe I should leave him at home, strapped down 'for his safety' so I can go off to work?

He goes someplace new on Monday, and DCFS is opening an investigation against this place after I called to tell them is was strapped down during naptime, along with three other kids.

Yes, yes, we all know that your kid is special, and would never do a thing like that..........

As for your comment about "dumb judgements".....how many kids have you cared for? Because it doesn't seem to matter if it's different kids, from different homes, different upbringings, they all do the same stuff sooner or later.

I got news for you.....ALL kids are climbers, it's part of the learning process of exploring boundaries and awakening curiosity in life. If your child isn't curious, then you got more to be worried about than a seatbelt.

We do crafts, coloring, etc at the table, and the younger one (toddlers) sit in booster seats, and get strapped in for their (and others) safety.

All it takes is one second of inattention (wiping Bobby's runny nose) and Billy decides he's going to try that stunt he saw on WWF last week.
momofsix 05:02 AM 10-30-2009
I think you are going WAY overboard to call in DCFS for this. Your child was not in any way being abused, or in any danger at all! You just didn't happen to like the way they do things, and that's fine, pull him out. But that is NO reason to create a big scandal for the center. DCFS is there to protect children that might be in dangerous situations, not to make sure child care centers cater to every parents demands. The way you're logic goes, the next parent might call DCFS of their child is NOT strapped in, because she wants him to be safe. Parental preference should NEVER rule a centers policies. I hope you reconsider your position on this.
DBug 09:42 AM 10-30-2009
Whoa, there's alot of bitterness here!

I am a home daycare provider. I have 9 different children that come and go through my house at various times every week, in addition to my own 3 children. And I have to side with the parent in this situation. Frankly, if I saw my own child tied to a chair with a scarf, I'd report it too. I would never use anything other than the belts provided with the high chairs or booster seats that I use. If I didn't have enough safe seats for the kids in my care, I wouldn't be doing my job. If I register a new child, I buy whatever equipment I need for that child before he or she starts. To do anything less would be negligent.

And I'm pretty disappointed that my colleagues in the profession are treating this particular parent with such disrespect. Yes, we do have tons of experience, and yes, we do spend more waking hours with these children than some of their parents do, but I don't think that's any reason to berate a parent's desire for good, safe care for their child.
judytrickett 11:37 AM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by DBug:

And I'm pretty disappointed that my colleagues in the profession are treating this particular parent with such disrespect. Yes, we do have tons of experience, and yes, we do spend more waking hours with these children than some of their parents do, but I don't think that's any reason to berate a parent's desire for good, safe care for their child.
This poster WAS treated with respect and received some very valid, honest answers from many people here. And if you go back and read every post you will see that every provider here was nice and helpful until the OP said:

Originally Posted by :

When you get nasty and start slinging mud at the very people who took the time to consider your problem and give an honest answer then IMO YOU are the one who upset the apple cart.

Remember - parents can be unprofessional too!
Unregistered 06:23 PM 10-30-2009
Ok I seem to have missed where we as providers have decided that children should be in a bubble and will just teach it to them later. Since when does tying a child into a seat that they can perfectly sit down and get out of without a problem teach the child anything? We all discuss manners on here and how we are expecting it from each other but not from the children??? So instead of expecting the children to sit at the table we give them no other option, no chance to show us that they have learned what we are instilling in them and can sit on their own?

I was a toddler teacher for 10 years in a centre. We had appropriate height tables and chairs with 5 toddlers (18months to 24months) to a table with one teacher. Two tables in a room. Never in my ten years have I strapped a child into the chairs. Sure there were days where a child would test my patience and get up over and over again but since I am there to teach the children things I would over and over again and show the child the appropriate behaviour until it stuck. Im not sure what tying them to a chair teaches them? Will we forever tie them to chairs in hopes that they dont fall down. That they dont burst that imaginary bubble that many parents have put around them? Are we no better now that we can only think about the fact that the child will fall ( all children fall all children get bruises and hurt) if the chairs are the appropriate height the children will be fine.

Sure accidents happen and children fall and bust open lips and have nose bleeds. Thats what kids do how many of us can honestly say that as a kid we didnt get a nose bleed from a fall or skin our knees from running when we shouldnt of. How else does a child learn if we are constantly strapping them into things. I guess I didnt realize that we as providers have gone the way of over protective parents and can only think of the worst case scenario and not what is actually going to help the child in the long run. I guess im just confused why what is best for the child is not what will help them grow and be well mannered but what is easier.

I know that this isnt exactly what Tiffer was talking about however I couldnt believe the number of childcare professionals on here who were willing to admit that they tie children in age appropriate chairs instead of taking the time to teach them what is appropriate. I am saddened to see that we have become so structured and busy that we cant spend a day incorporating games and songs and stories which all teach the children how to sit. Maybe instead of doing the theme Halloween we could be doing the theme of chairs. Sounds boring but can you think of how many things you could do to incorporate chairs and the appropriate way to sit and continue sitting? Make learning to stay sitting fun. I know this didnt help Tiffer but I hope that maybe it did make some of you think about what you are teaching during the day and if maybe you could incorporate teaching some different life skills into your day.
Just a thought.
judytrickett 06:10 AM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ok I seem to have missed where we as providers have decided that children should be in a bubble and will just teach it to them later. Since when does tying a child into a seat that they can perfectly sit down and get out of without a problem teach the child anything? We all discuss manners on here and how we are expecting it from each other but not from the children??? So instead of expecting the children to sit at the table we give them no other option, no chance to show us that they have learned what we are instilling in them and can sit on their own?

I agree with you. In fact, my original response to this poster stated my same opinions:

Originally Posted by :
Judytrickett said:That said, it is my personal belief that if you provide kids with kid-sized furniture throughout the daycare day then have the luxury of sitting untethered. And, it is always better, IME, to TEACH a child that sitting for meals, and staying there is what is polite and appropriate rather than tethering. Because with tethering or confining etc the FIRST time that child is NOT tethered they will be out of the chair. The reason is they have only learned that tethering is the reason the can't get out instead of learning that the need for good manners is the reason they may not leave.
But, we also must take into account the many varied rules and regulations out there across the country and in different countries. I don't know where the OP was from nor do I know the specific state/province mandated rules regarding such things in a commercial daycare.

So, while, yes, I agree with the basis of your premise in teaching children rather than confining them perhaps the workers at the centre were just "doing their job". Because I know that there are plenty of rules in daycare that do not make sense to me so I can see who this might have been a rule as well.

I think this thread took a turn and got completely off topic when the OP started being nasty.
Chickenhauler 09:45 PM 11-01-2009

I was a toddler teacher for 10 years in a centre. We had appropriate height tables and chairs with 5 toddlers (18months to 24months) to a table with one teacher. Two tables in a room. Never in my ten years have I strapped a child into the chairs. Sure there were days where a child would test my patience and get up over and over again but since I am there to teach the children things I would over and over again and show the child the appropriate behaviour until it stuck. Im not sure what tying them to a chair teaches them? Will we forever tie them to chairs in hopes that they dont fall down. That they dont burst that imaginary bubble that many parents have put around them? Are we no better now that we can only think about the fact that the child will fall ( all children fall all children get bruises and hurt) if the chairs are the appropriate height the children will be fine.

Sure accidents happen and children fall and bust open lips and have nose bleeds. Thats what kids do how many of us can honestly say that as a kid we didnt get a nose bleed from a fall or skin our knees from running when we shouldnt of. How else does a child learn if we are constantly strapping them into things. I guess I didnt realize that we as providers have gone the way of over protective parents and can only think of the worst case scenario and not what is actually going to help the child in the long run. I guess im just confused why what is best for the child is not what will help them grow and be well mannered but what is easier.

I know that this isnt exactly what Tiffer was talking about however I couldnt believe the number of childcare professionals on here who were willing to admit that they tie children in age appropriate chairs instead of taking the time to teach them what is appropriate. I am saddened to see that we have become so structured and busy that we cant spend a day incorporating games and songs and stories which all teach the children how to sit. Maybe instead of doing the theme Halloween we could be doing the theme of chairs. Sounds boring but can you think of how many things you could do to incorporate chairs and the appropriate way to sit and continue sitting? Make learning to stay sitting fun. I know this didnt help Tiffer but I hope that maybe it did make some of you think about what you are teaching during the day and if maybe you could incorporate teaching some different life skills into your day.
Just a thought.

You want to know why?

It's called liability, litigation, and trial lawyers.

Myself, I like my house, my car, and my savings. Not really interested in losing any of them. CYA.
mac60 02:49 AM 11-02-2009
Did we ever really find out if the child was simply strapped in with the scarf, just as if he would of been if strapped in with the strap, or was he hog tied. It does make a big difference in the situation.

As far as the teaching children issues......I am old school, and have very different thoughts on some things verses the "new way" of discipline. In my house when my kids were small, if I was to tell them to sit down in a chair and they didn't, I would not be repeating myself 3, 4, or 5 times, I would be swatting their butt, placing it in the chair showing them the correct way to sit at the table, and they would of listened. But today, for some warped reason, many parents, the governemnt and our society, has taken to frown upon discipling children, too afraid of hurting their feelings, and all we have to do is look at the brats when you go to WalMart, the situations at the schools, the issues at daycares, and you can see that the "new way" of raising young children has totally failed, yet people just keep on doing it. I personally think it is ironic that society has come to place young children in daycare settings, yet while the child is there 6/8/10 hours per day, the daycare providers are not allowed to discipline a child. No wonder kids are such brats, they learn early on that the provider can't really do anything when they misbehave.......yet they can't learn to sit in a chair, not bite someone, or any of the other issues we deal with. Maybe that is called selective learning because I know you can't touch me syndrome.
AmandasFCC 06:34 AM 11-02-2009
Did we ever really find out if the child was simply strapped in with the scarf, just as if he would of been if strapped in with the strap, or was he hog tied. It does make a big difference in the situation.

As far as the teaching children issues......I am old school, and have very different thoughts on some things verses the "new way" of discipline. In my house when my kids were small, if I was to tell them to sit down in a chair and they didn't, I would not be repeating myself 3, 4, or 5 times, I would be swatting their butt, placing it in the chair showing them the correct way to sit at the table, and they would of listened. But today, for some warped reason, many parents, the governemnt and our society, has taken to frown upon discipling children, too afraid of hurting their feelings, and all we have to do is look at the brats when you go to WalMart, the situations at the schools, the issues at daycares, and you can see that the "new way" of raising young children has totally failed, yet people just keep on doing it. I personally think it is ironic that society has come to place young children in daycare settings, yet while the child is there 6/8/10 hours per day, the daycare providers are not allowed to discipline a child. No wonder kids are such brats, they learn early on that the provider can't really do anything when they misbehave.......yet they can't learn to sit in a chair, not bite someone, or any of the other issues we deal with. Maybe that is called selective learning because I know you can't touch me syndrome.
I've been saying the SAME THING!!!! It's no wonder kids feel so entitled when the people they spend the majority of their waking hours with are not legally permitted to discipline! Not that I would want to spank someone else's child, mind you, but it's really frustrating to me that in our province we are not allowed to even use time-outs!!! What am I supposed to do when KidA bites KidB? Tell him that's not ok and leave him alone ... it's ridiculous!!!
GretasLittleFriends 07:53 AM 11-02-2009
The parents of the children in my daycare have all told me, right in front of their children, that it is ok for me to spank them if they are really naughty. I, of course, can't and will NOT spank them, but the children do not know that. Knowing it might be an option is enough for the majority of my children to behave. I have a few kids lately who have spent a fair amount of time both in time out and sitting at the table "working" for me while the other ones get to play.
judytrickett 09:42 AM 11-02-2009

Mac, I don't know who you are but.......I LOVE YOU!!!!!
seashell 11:56 AM 11-02-2009
I believe it was Dr. Spock who started the "if you spank your child, you damage their self esteem" crap. I don't spank my DC kids, but I did spank my kids when they were younger occasionally. The behaved far better than my dc kids. Just remember, Dr. Spocks son committed suicide. Guess that means his theory just didn't work!
jen 07:43 PM 11-02-2009
AGH...here is a prime example of parents at work...

3.5 year old dcg BITES another child and NOT the first time, not even close...she has been biting since she was 18 months old.

Me: A, tell Daddy what happened today
A: I bit L
Dad: A, why did you do that? What did we tell you to do when someone makes you mad?
Me: L didn't do anything, they were waiting to wash hands for lunch.
A: Looks up at Dad with big sad eyes and starts to cry
Dad: (Picks her up) Oh, its OK A. Just don't do it anymore oK?
Me: No, not OK. She is way to old to continue biting and other parents are upset that thier children are coming home with bite marks.
Dad: I know but she's crying...

Discipine? Oh no...she might cry! God forbid.

AGH!!!!!!

And we have a Walmart terrorist in the making.
mac60 02:06 AM 11-03-2009
I know, so many parents are so irresponsible....now me, if that was my child, I would of either taken the childs arm and bitten her back, or spanked her butt and told her it was never to happen again. This is what I mean, why are some parents so darn afraid to discipline their child. Actually, the discipline would of happened long before this incident. And at 3 1/2 yrs old, she would be spending a couple days sitting alone at a table playing all by herself.
judytrickett 03:26 AM 11-03-2009
I know, so many parents are so irresponsible....now me, if that was my child, I would of either taken the childs arm and bitten her back, or spanked her butt and told her it was never to happen again. This is what I mean, why are some parents so darn afraid to discipline their child. Actually, the discipline would of happened long before this incident. And at 3 1/2 yrs old, she would be spending a couple days sitting alone at a table playing all by herself.

Both of my own kids bit ONCE (and thank God the vicitm was their sibling!) and both times I bit them back. Never happened again.

I also had a boy in care who was biting and was on the brink of termination. I had tried everything. I really wanted to bite him back but when you are a provider you can't do that. Finally I told mom he had to go. She pleaded with me and said she didn't know what to do. I recommended she bite him. Well, he bit, she bit back and he never did it again. It saved his little daycare but too cause he got to stay on.

When I was a kid I STILL remember vividly being bitten by my mom after I bit my sister. I remember it NOT because it traumatized me but because it made a point. There was no wishywashyness about it. I learned in ONE second that biting was NOT acceptable. In fact, the childhood lessons that serve me most as an adult I can recall like I was right back there 30 or so years ago.
seashell 04:33 AM 11-05-2009
When I owned my center I had an issue with a parent in the toddler classroom that still has me scratching my head!

I had 2 kids, both just 2 years old. The boy turns around to the girl who was standing behind him minding her own busness and shoves her in the chest, knocking her to the ground. She starts to cry, so he pulls her hair. I picked her up and his mom, who watched the whole thing says to her, "Im sorry you got hurt C, but you shouldn't invade T's personal space" WHAT? Invade his personal space? What about telling T what he did was wrong? I can just see her testifying for him at his first murder trial. Sorry your honor, but that guy invaded his personal space! OMG
mac60 05:01 AM 11-05-2009
Just one question.....how did so many in our society get to this......glad I am not "one of them". lol
jen 06:07 AM 11-05-2009
Just my humble opinion but...

I think it started when we, as a society, decided that "shame" was destructive to children. Clearly, we don't want to shame a child for making a mistake or having an accident, but no shame, ever? Really?

Feeling shame when we knowingly do something wrong is a good thing. It teaches us to do the right thing, not because we are afraid of getting grounded or spanked, but because we want to feel good about ourselves.

Parents are working hard to create positive self esteem, not by teaching kids to do the right thing, but by failing to teach them when they are acting inappropriately.
judytrickett 06:25 AM 11-05-2009
Just one question.....how did so many in our society get to this......glad I am not "one of them". lol

I call it daycare guilt. Parents feel guilty for shirking their parental responsibilities for 50 or so hours each and every week. And, in fact, most parents don't really "need" two incomes. But everyone wants their big houses, two brand new SUV's, designer fashions, Little Gym Memberships, cell phones, extended cable packages, and yearly exotic vacations. All those things cost money. 50 years ago we didn't have half the expenses we do today. We have those by CHOICE.

So, for about 80% or the kids that are in daycare there isn't a "real" need. Having the second parent work is not a matter of not being able to eat or pay the mortgage. It's about extras. And on some level I think parents know this. But, they put the priority of extras above that of spending time with their children in the most important and formative years of their child's life.

With that comes guilt. So, when you DO get to spend the whole four hours a day with your child and most of that time consists of getting ready for the day or ending the day you don't want to spend those few hours fighting with your kids. You want your kids to like you more than the dcprovider. So, you give in, allow them to be the boss and you falsely perceive them to "like" you more.

It's all about guilt. No parent wants to be the bad guy. They are afraid of their children because they have made the situation to be that way.

Now, I am sure this post will bring some flack. But usually those that hit a nerve or truth tend to do that.
seashell 07:15 AM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
I call it daycare guilt. Parents feel guilty for shirking their parental responsibilities for 50 or so hours each and every week. And, in fact, most parents don't really "need" two incomes. But everyone wants their big houses, two brand new SUV's, designer fashions, Little Gym Memberships, cell phones, extended cable packages, and yearly exotic vacations. All those things cost money. 50 years ago we didn't have half the expenses we do today. We have those by CHOICE.

So, for about 80% or the kids that are in daycare there isn't a "real" need. Having the second parent work is not a matter of not being able to eat or pay the mortgage. It's about extras. And on some level I think parents know this. But, they put the priority of extras above that of spending time with their children in the most important and formative years of their child's life.

With that comes guilt. So, when you DO get to spend the whole four hours a day with your child and most of that time consists of getting ready for the day or ending the day you don't want to spend those few hours fighting with your kids. You want your kids to like you more than the dcprovider. So, you give in, allow them to be the boss and you falsely perceive them to "like" you more.

It's all about guilt. No parent wants to be the bad guy. They are afraid of their children because they have made the situation to be that way.

Now, I am sure this post will bring some flack. But usually those that hit a nerve or truth tend to do that.

Very well said Judy. After 20 plus years in the field, I am 110 percent behind your statement.
mac60 07:35 AM 11-05-2009
I do agree with most of what you said. As far as families not needing 2 incomes, well, in my opinion, that is not that case for most. I will use me for example.

We live in a home valued today at $113,000. Our vehicles consist of a 2000 Grand Am with 134,000 miles on it, and a 2002 Chevy Venture with 67,000 miles on it. Neither are paid for, 1 yr left on the van, and Grand Am on home equity loan.....which I would never do again. In the past 4 years, we have spent approximately $15,000 on medical bills, due to rotten insurance. $4300 each for 2 sets of braces, oral surgury for son who maxed out our deductible so we were only liable for $4800 of that bill in that year. Husband was in hospital 2 years ago and we incurred that deductible. Our kids since 7th grade were involved in sports and that cost money. They were in band, and that cost money. We helped our son buy a car and have had to help him with major car repairs with the lemon we told him to get. We are trying to help both kids get thru college. They are taking out loans, we are helping where we can. We do not take expensive vacations, actually no vacations the past couple years.

We don't have cell phone plans. We don't have big cable/internet/phone bills, just basic package. Our house payment is $535 per mo, our property taxes are about $1700 per year, our homeowners insurance is about $900 per year. Our utilities run about $450 per month. This doesn't account for life insurance premiums, healthcare cost, weekly gas in cars, groceries, incidentals of clothing, household things, all the other miscellaneous things. My husband brought home approx $420 per week at his job, absolutely no way to support a family on that.

And now, he has no job, after 40 years was laid off, and he is going to get a whopping $250 after taxes on unemployment. Another screwed up issue overseen by our wonderful government.

While I do agree there are people that live high on the hog and do it by having 2 parents working, it is not the case for many of us. We work to survive. We don't have fancy cars, take expensive vacations, buy expensive clothes.

I have always worked, and my kids NEVER acted the way so many of them do today. I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe that because mom works that gives a kid a reason to be a hellion, for lack of better terms. In the end, it is the choices the parents take to be a true parent.

Sorry, didn't mean to vent here, just not everyone works because they want to, for many of us, there is no choice in the matter.
Janet 10:44 AM 11-05-2009
I don't and wouldn't spank my daycare kids, but when my daughter got out of line, I spanked her little butt when I needed to. She bit once and fortunately it was me. I bit her back and she never did it again. I also called her bluff once because she was misbehaving in Old Navy and I warned her that she was headed the right way for a spanked arse and she said "You can't spank me, it's against the law. You'll go to jail." My response was "Oh? Really? Who told you that?". She said "My teacher said so." So I said "OK" and then I spanked her butt in the little girls section of the store. She never pulled any crap like that again. Anyway, my point is this. Too often kids get away with behavior that would have gotten my butt torn up. I'm not saying that kids should be spanked into submission, but they should be taught to respect other peoples rights to not be hit, bit, pushed, yelled at, etc. I see kids push boundaries with their parents all the time and the parents just do their childs bidding and make excuses for the poor behaviour. At least I know at my house, the kids behave themselves and don't act like savages or divas. And it's not like I am constantly putting kids in time out either. I just started teaching them early about treating others the way that you want to be treated. I also have a "try to work out your problems together first before you come tell me what so and so did to you" rule. This has been amazing. We also have "use your words" rule and have demonstrated to them how hard it is to understand people who are yelling or crying. I said something to them in a crying voice, a loud voice and a calm voice and asked them to repeat what I said and the only one that they clearly understood was the calm voice. I don't make excuses for them and I hold them responsible for their behaviour. If they physically harm another person that is an automatic time out, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I don't worry about hurting the kids feelings because I don't judge them. I reassure them that they are loved but when they make choices that hurt others that they have to be responsible for that. This means time out or losing a movie watching priviledge or losing a incentive program coin...I make sure that I hug them afterward and let them know that they are loved and that they always have the choice to make better choices. This will sound a little crazy, but I've taught them Yoga postures and deep breathing exercises and that has helped them with their patience. With 6 kids that are 5 years old and younger, you have to find a way to help them with patience and controlling their tempers. I have also learned to identify each child's hissy fit early warning signs and now I just sit on the floor and call them over to me and ask them what they need. Usually they won't say a word but will sit on my lap and hug me for a while. As far as parents go, it seems to me that they seem to have trouble accepting that their children make poor choices and they take it personally. Theres no need to. I see any legit criticism about my daughter as an opportunity to help her. She's not anywhere near perfect, but she is a kind hearted kid with good common sense, a good work ethic and a very unique sense of humor. Everything these days seems to be driven by political correctness...I miss the old days when the adults were in charge hehehe...boy, I sure did ramble, sorry that I hijacked the thread (this is a flaw of mine, I go off on tangents alot. I have ADD so its sorta imprinted on my brain)
mac60 02:00 AM 11-06-2009
You did fine Janet, enjoyed reading your post.
Guest 09:13 AM 11-09-2009
I don't know about what is legally allowed or not, as far as tying kids to the seats. I understand straps in strollers and high chairs/boosters...but regular seats??! These kids are walking and should be able to sit down. What struck me more, was what about the safety of the child when there is an emergency in the building and everyone has to evacuate??!!! How can 2 teachers, get 10+ kids unstrapped and out the building? Sorry, but I would rather the teachers teach the kids to sit properly in their chairs, so when there is an emergency they can evacuate my child quickly and SAFELY. That is the other side of liability I don't think anyone has considered.
Chickenhauler 10:23 PM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by Guest:
I don't know about what is legally allowed or not, as far as tying kids to the seats. I understand straps in strollers and high chairs/boosters...but regular seats??! These kids are walking and should be able to sit down. What struck me more, was what about the safety of the child when there is an emergency in the building and everyone has to evacuate??!!! How can 2 teachers, get 10+ kids unstrapped and out the building? Sorry, but I would rather the teachers teach the kids to sit properly in their chairs, so when there is an emergency they can evacuate my child quickly and SAFELY. That is the other side of liability I don't think anyone has considered.
Let me put this bluntly.....if two adults cannot release 5 buckles each in time to safely evacuate the building, it was already too late before they even realized it.

Comparatively, how often do DC centers have to evacuate in that rapid of a time frame vs how often kids do really dumb things (like climb on the table)?

It's kinda like arguing that you won't wear your seatbelt cause then you can't get out of the car when you drive into a body of water......while in AZ.
Unregistered 10:49 PM 05-06-2010
My children are in daycare and everytime I pick them up, my youngest 28mos is always on in the highchair. Is this ok ? Also the screen door is always locked and the wood door is shut. Is this ok ?
hawkfan428 05:12 AM 05-07-2010
My children are in daycare and everytime I pick them up, my youngest 28mos is always on in the highchair. Is this ok ? Also the screen door is always locked and the wood door is shut. Is this ok ?
I would be pretty suspicious...mostly if your child really is ALWAYS in the highchair when you come in! It's possible the door is locked for the kids safety, but if you child is almsot always sitting in the highchair it makes me wonder how long he/she is sitting in there for?
Daycare Mommy 05:20 AM 05-07-2010
Ok how? If you want to see if it's okay in your state the regulations are go to your state's social services site and read up.

For the doors, I keep my doors locked too for safety. I would be disturbed if the doors weren't locked myself.

As for the high chair, are you perhaps picking up at a meal time? If you have concerns about the amount of time spent in a high chair just speak to your provider about it.
momma2girls 05:34 AM 05-07-2010

I think this is wrong I would never use a belt, or a scarf to keep a child down on the chair to eat. If they are out of the highchair, then I have a booster seat for the chair at the table. When they are old enough or big enough, they just sit on their knees or their butt at the table on the chair. I personally would look for a new in home or another center!! Good luck!!!
DBug 05:41 AM 05-07-2010

Depends -- what time do you pick them up, and is it the same time every day? If you're picking them up at meal or snack time, then it makes sense that your youngest would be in a high chair (younger kids do tend to take longer to eat). I'd vary the times that you pick them up (if possible), to see what they're doing at different times. Or just ask your provider what your children did that day (in a non-accusatory way, of course).

As for the doors -- if this is a home daycare, your provider may be protecting the kids by keeping the doors locked at all times. I had an issue with parents walking in my front door, which is fine, but I didn't want a stranger to be able to walk right in. I ended up changing my daycare entrance, but if your provider doesn't have that option, she may be keeping it locked with good reason. And it is her home, so if she feels better keeping the door locked, that's her choice. She may also be locking it to keep little ones from taking off outside.

Just some thoughts to consider ...
momma2girls 06:26 AM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:

Depends -- what time do you pick them up, and is it the same time every day? If you're picking them up at meal or snack time, then it makes sense that your youngest would be in a high chair (younger kids do tend to take longer to eat). I'd vary the times that you pick them up (if possible), to see what they're doing at different times. Or just ask your provider what your children did that day (in a non-accusatory way, of course).

As for the doors -- if this is a home daycare, your provider may be protecting the kids by keeping the doors locked at all times. I had an issue with parents walking in my front door, which is fine, but I didn't want a stranger to be able to walk right in. I ended up changing my daycare entrance, but if your provider doesn't have that option, she may be keeping it locked with good reason. And it is her home, so if she feels better keeping the door locked, that's her choice. She may also be locking it to keep little ones from taking off outside.

Just some thoughts to consider ...
I try and remember to always lock my door as well, when I know everyone is here for the day. I do not want anyone just to walk in, and to keep my toddlers from opening the door.
Chickenhauler 08:46 AM 05-07-2010
I also want to reiterate-what times are you picking the child up? Is this around meal or snack time? Are there other kids finishing up eating, or evidence of food being given (table needs wiping down, some residue on the childs face, they're not hungry for a few hours after picking them up, DC worker is clearing the table, etc)?

My front door is ALWAYS shut. Keeps the kids in and the varmints (two and four legged) out.

As for the screen door being locked, kids are little Houdini's....there has been a couple threads on here recently about kids bolting out the front door. Gotta keep them from running into the street.
fctjc1979 10:19 AM 05-07-2010
Does your child care provider know when you are coming? When my oldest daughter was in daycare when she was a toddler, the woman knew what time I would be picking her up so she would get her in her shoes and socks, jacket, etc and then sit her in the high chair/booster seat with some juice. That way my daughter knew when I was coming and she wouldn't pull her shoes and socks back off.
Unregistered 05:00 AM 05-12-2010
and I have been doing daycare for 20+ years I have been a director of a large center and now have a home daycare .. RESTRAINT is RESTRAINT .. I have never heard it was ok to do this .. INFACT one of the first centers I worked at would take cot sheets and wrap around the 2 year olds to keep them from sliding out of chairs--- and I believe that center was wrote up for it or was given 30 days to make corrections .. (the 2 year olds little bottoms would not stay in the chairs ..but slide out) I took over the 2s room and got shelving paper to put on the chairs to keep them from slipping!

Like I said I live in Illinois and to my knowledge this is illegal .. restraining a child even if he will cause harm to himself is illegal!
HeatherB 09:21 AM 05-14-2010
Question #1-scarf and chair- If you feel unsure or uneasy about this situation...go with your gut and be searching for alterntive care before you regret it. I personally feel that a 22 month old in a smaller chair as described should not need a safety belt. They need another adult to sit with the kids at the table and focus completely on them to teach them to sit down while in a chair.

Question #2-sittting in highchair during pick up
Depends on what time you pick up.. is it during a meal or snack time? In my 11 years of childcare I have had one child that just wanted to be in the high chair alot..I would of course take him out often....if your child seems content and not frustrated at home when you prepare to place him in a high chair then I feel that your child is just fine. JMHO!
Unregistered 05:14 PM 03-08-2013
My child was having a pretty rough day with behavior i don't denie that but when i come in the room with my husband in order to pick him up no on eat the front desk notified us that there was an issue. When we stood outside the room to observe him we noticed the lead supervisor had his completely restrained to the point she had her arms around him and her legs locked around him so he couldn't move. We walked in the room and demanded our son be released and were told he had been hitting another child and he threw a toy so they had to restrain him. The worst part about this is the incident happened on a military base at fort Stewart Ga child development center. The child was held against his will and forced to stay in one position with no range of motion. Screaming and crying because of the force the staff was using against him and asking for a drink. The army really needs to investigate more child care centers we have asked for the tapes of everything and have been blown off every time or the tapes are lost or not working. I'm worried to file a police report because my husband is stationed here i don't want it to effect him with his career.
MissAnn 06:37 PM 03-08-2013
Wondering if there is a 2 weeks notice she's wanting to avoid.
Lucy 06:38 PM 03-08-2013
Never mind. Maybe I read it wrong.

However, this thread is 3 1/2 years old.
MissAnn 06:50 PM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Never mind. Maybe I read it wrong.

However, this thread is 3 1/2 years old.
I hate it when that happens!
heyhun77 05:09 AM 03-09-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Oh brother - I told myself I wouldn't re-post to this thread but I have to. Mac- I agree with you about the complaining. It's darn if you do and darn if you don't

Tiffer: with all due respect - if you are SO upset about this center, why do you keep on bringing your child there? Even if it is for 2 days a week? Why go and reporting them and causing bad waves etc for only 2 days a week? Again with ALL due respect, parents like you make me cringe. I don't know your situation but if you feel and it sounds like you do feel, that your son is being mistreated, and the providers are not listening to you, why do you still bring your son there?

Parents never cease to amaze me
While I somewhat agree that it may be for the safety of the child to use the scarf if the absence of enough straps for the children in care I think the point the parent is trying to make is that her philosophy of teaching the child to sit at the table is not lining up with that of the center and it's teachers. It seems that is the bottom line here. It's not a parent being a horrible pain in the providers backside it is a clear difference of opinion on how a child should be taught to sit at the table. I personally agree with this parent that children should be taught unrestrained to sit at the table during meals and activities. That is MY philosophy and I share that with parents when they interview while we get to know each other and how we teach children. I have chairs low to the ground and a low table for children to use and sometimes it takes putting them back on their chair a bunch of times but eventually they will learn that we stay at the table.
dave4him 09:37 AM 03-11-2013
That doesnt sound good either way. Always voice your concerns
Unregistered 02:04 PM 03-17-2013
Tiffer,
I think you are definitely over reacting. I have been in daycares and been a nanny for over 12 years and I don't think what the teacher did was malicious or harming your child in any way. Was your child crying? It seems to me that the teachers are belting the children for mealtimes and quiet play at the table for safety reasons. Many children use chairs to stand on, lay on, jump on etc. and belting them keeps the children safe from falling and inappropriately using the chair where the chair could come up from under them and they could get seriously injured. As the children get older they understand how to properly sit in a chair without a belt. At 22 months that is a bit young to not be using a belt in a chair. During nap time the ratio does go down and you can have more children and less teachers because the children are sleeping. It seems that the teacher kept your child and the other children occupied by giving them a puzzle to do while the other children napped and the teacher was in a position where she could see all the children. I see nothing wrong with the children entertaining themselves while the other children nap or anything wrong with him sitting at the table playing a puzzle with the other children. Do you not use a booster seat at home? Do you allow your children to run all over the house at mealtimes? When you have as many as 9 children in a room at a time it is important that you know they are safe and since you cannot keep your eyes on them at all times if they are seated at the table I think it is important at the child is belted so they do not fall out, climb on the table etc. It is probably best you remove your child from daycare and perhaps stay home with him yourself so you can watch him constantly on your own terms.
Dallas 08:47 AM 12-10-2015
I run a hone daycare but for years worked in traditional childcare centers and even worked for our local coalition for ten years. Just some back ground.....

I worked at a center who referred to these "safety restraints" as "wiggle worms" and kids who behaved poorly or refused to sit got strapped down with them. They were used at the teachers discression and IMHO were completely unnecessary. Meal times I understand. Any other time with proper ratios and a SOLID teacher kids can sit if the amount of time is REASONABLE! This same center had 1 and a half year olds sit for hours a day. There was a major misunderstanding of developmentally appropriate practice at that place which is why kids stayed strapped.

Not the case at all centers but I would bet a good number misuse the restraints.
daycare 09:01 AM 12-10-2015
wow this is an old thread!

pretty sure that no one is going to respond from back in 09 or 13...

but it is an interesting read that's for sure.
Tags:abused, dcfs, discipline, liability, litigation, regulations, restraint
Reply Up