Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Tell Parents That You Are Closed?
DanceMom 02:51 PM 10-28-2010
Title says it all..

I usually always email everyone but for a date in Nov, I put in my Oct newsletter sent out at the end of Sept that I was closed Nov 8th. Of course 2 moms didnt read the letter and were upset I didnt tell them....ahhh yes I did READ MY NEWSLETTERS ! I dont write them for my health !!

I had one mom come in today that is on Maternity leave..."UM, *dancemom* did you email my XX Account letting me know you were closed on the 8th" ( all snotty)

Me " Ahh no, I know your on mat leave and your emails are turned off ( Im not an idiot) , I put it in my Oct newsletter sent out last month"

Her " Oh, I guess I better read those more closely"

Me" ahh yeah.."

Bang head into wall..
AmandasFCC 02:55 PM 10-28-2010
I write a letter, hand it to the parents and tell them what's in the letter. That way they've been told verbally plus have something in writing to hang on to. I don't bother with newsletters because people don't read them. Or, I should rephrase. I don't do them because I don't read them.
DanceMom 03:07 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I write a letter, hand it to the parents and tell them what's in the letter. That way they've been told verbally plus have something in writing to hang on to. I don't bother with newsletters because people don't read them. Or, I should rephrase. I don't do them because I don't read them.
Why dont you read them ? Im curious - mine have a lot of information pertaining to my daycare, their childrens activities , fun stuff coming up etc. Stuff they need to know. I have 2 parents that read them everytime as they comment on things, then I have 2 that dont.

I always religously read my daughters daycare letters, I was interested in what they were doing , what was coming up etc...I dont get why parents wouldnt want to..
AfterSchoolMom 03:11 PM 10-28-2010
I create a calendar at the beginning of the year outlining all of the days (as far as I can tell, anyway) that I'll be closed. I also have a space in the contract where they sign saying that they received, read, and understand the calendar.

THEN I creat an email newsletter that I send out every two months. My families have NO excuses for not knowing when I'm closed.
DanceMom 03:24 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I create a calendar at the beginning of the year outlining all of the days (as far as I can tell, anyway) that I'll be closed. I also have a space in the contract where they sign saying that they received, read, and understand the calendar.

THEN I creat an email newsletter that I send out every two months. My families have NO excuses for not knowing when I'm closed.
Oh yeah I also do a calendar each month and give to them AND have a HUGE calendar on my front door!! AHHGG !!! Drives me crazy !!
legomom922 06:39 PM 10-28-2010
I do a newsletter every other month and let them know/remind them of any closures coming up.

I also fill out the daily reports and on those I also remind parents of closures along with other important information, such as supplies that I need etc. I know alot of people on here have stopped using the daily reports, but they are a great tool to use to remind parents of things.
QualiTcare 10:55 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Why dont you read them ? Im curious - mine have a lot of information pertaining to my daycare, their childrens activities , fun stuff coming up etc. Stuff they need to know. I have 2 parents that read them everytime as they comment on things, then I have 2 that dont.

I always religously read my daughters daycare letters, I was interested in what they were doing , what was coming up etc...I dont get why parents wouldnt want to..
i always read my kid's newsletters. if there was going to be a closing, it wasn't always in the newsletter, but there was always a note on the front door 2 weeks in advance and at their daycare there was a sign in/out sheet so there was a note posted there as well. i don't see how anyone could miss a piece of paper posted on the door, but i think posting it on the door and telling people verbally can never hurt - and i think anything less than 2 weeks is unacceptable. i've had my son's preschool give me ONE or two day's notice for events and even while i'm not working, that's a pain. if i was working (and when i was) that would've been totally unacceptable. i'm not working right now, but i got a note last week on WEDNESDAY that there was a parent meeting on that FRIDAY. i had a test to take on Friday (i recently went back to school for a second degree) and i couldn't make it. it annoyed me bc had i known sooner, i could've rescheduled my test date bc it was an online proctored test that had different times/dates you could sign up for.
DancingQueen 02:53 AM 10-29-2010
I tell them verbally, send a text and send home a note. I also remind them in the days leading up. I don't take chances...LOL
boysx5 04:23 AM 10-29-2010
I had out days off months in advance and then verbally tell them and about two weeks before I post it on my door on the way in so they can all say they didn't see it.
TGT09 05:34 AM 10-29-2010
I know my parents and they wouldn't read a letter. I ALWAYS send out e-mails because that's how "my" parents like to be told and also that's how they respond the fastest.

If I were certain that a parent isn't reading e-mails then I would give verbal notice and reminders. That's just me and I don't want any crossed signals regardless of how many times I've told someone something.
tymaboy 05:43 AM 10-29-2010
I send out a email plus I mark it on the white board so they see it at drop off & pickup.
Blackcat31 05:47 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Oh yeah I also do a calendar each month and give to them AND have a HUGE calendar on my front door!! AHHGG !!! Drives me crazy !!
I do the same. One yearly calendar and one monthly one with ALL closings written on them. I also post on our parent board in the entryway. I suppose I mention it verbally as well, but for the most part if you tell them (written or verbal) and they don't read the written material, it is their problem, not yours. Imagine if your kid's teacher from school had to call all the parents and remind them that school will be closed on ***x day. As parents it is our responsibility to read all school material so I would think child care parents would do the same. If they don't then they're the ones who wil be scrambling to find alternate care on the days you are closed.
momma2girls 05:55 AM 10-29-2010
I place it on the newsletter the month before- upcoming reminders. Then I also have amonthly activity calendar on the door, then I place it on the newsletter for that month as well!
DBug 03:37 PM 10-29-2010
I agree with what the PPs have said about telling parents about days off in several different ways. When it comes to getting a message out to any group of people, about daycare, meetings, training, events, etc, I always stick to the Rule of 3's -- tell each person in 3 different ways about it. For example, put it on the bulletin board, email it, and tell them in person. It's just like Multiple Intelligences (not Multiple Personalites ), different people integrate things in different ways. Picking 3 different ways usually ensures that each parent will get it ... usually .
tenderhearts 03:40 PM 10-29-2010
I give them a seperate paper with any days off, PLUS they get reminders on my posting on the wall & newsletters..So you would think they wouldn't forget but I have had parents forget.
DCMomOf3 03:59 PM 10-29-2010
I put my days off in my newsletter and then when I hand them the letter, verbally mention that I have important info in there that I need them to read. Usually they will read it on the spot if I say that.
Lucy 06:18 PM 10-30-2010
I try my darndest to have ALL days off planned for next year by the end of this year. Usually by Dec 1st I hand out a list that gives all the days I'm off. It also includes the holidays, just in case people forget which ones I take off. IF I have to add a day off, or a partial day due to a doctor's appointment, I write up a quick little note and give it to each of them. I try to do this as EARLY as possible. As soon as I know I need time off, they know it. When it gets closer, I take a piece of construction paper & some markers and write in large letters: REMINDER: Daycare closed X day. It gets put on the door right above the doorknob. How could they miss it? That way they could never say they weren't told.
Former Teacher 06:36 PM 10-30-2010
I remember one year this father was FURIOUS because we were closed on Thanksgiving! He was one of those parents that wanted his "money's worth" and felt it was wrong because we were closed for that day. We were open that Friday. However since then the day after Thanksgiving became a closed day as well.

I remember another father (a few years later) who was also upset because we didn't tell him when we were closed. He came on Christmas Eve. He was upset because we reminded him that we closed at 12:30. We had to physically show him where the sign was posted with all the holiday closures, which was on the front door.

The following year (and each year after) what we did was make a schedule for all the parents. They had to sign a form stating that they received the holiday schedule. We still posted the schedule on the front door, and we still reminded the parents verbally.

Like the PP said, you don't want to take ANY chances!
MMk9987 05:57 PM 11-15-2010
I worked at a pre school back in 2008 and they were closed thanksgiving day but they opened right back up the day after thanksgiving we never really had an issue with any of the parents we sent home a newsletter explaining to them what was going on for the month I think that made it alot easier.
Crystal 06:06 PM 11-15-2010
My handbook states all of the days we are closed for the year, except for our vacation dates and floating holiday dates, of which I take four each year.

On January 2nd each year I give my families a flyer with all of the dates I will be closed for the year, including my vacation date and at least two of my floating holidays, noting that they will be notified at a later date of the additional two days off.

Two weeks prior to each closure, I send out a Parent Memo. I print it and personally hand it to each parent at pick up time on Monday. I also verbally remind them at that time.

The week of being closed, I casually remind them of the day we are closed.

I have never had an issue with closing....my parents always wish me a good day off and happy holiday, and I do the same with them.
melskids 02:58 AM 11-16-2010
i put it in the newsletter, on the parent bulletin board, on top of the sign in sheet, on their daily reports(theones who ge them), and vebally remind them. sometimes i wonder who we're really babysitting...lol

one month i wrote right in the middle of another sentence on the monthly newsletter...something like this:

"and next weeks them is all about apples. anyone who reads this newsletter and mentions to me you saw this statement receives one free day of daycare. we will be exploring different types of apples, tasting apples, etc....."

only one parent said something
laundrymom 03:04 AM 11-16-2010
I love this!!!

Originally Posted by melskids:
i put it in the newsletter, on the parent bulletin board, on top of the sign in sheet, on their daily reports(theones who ge them), and vebally remind them. sometimes i wonder who we're really babysitting...lol

one month i wrote right in the middle of another sentence on the monthly newsletter...something like this:

"and next weeks them is all about apples. anyone who reads this newsletter and mentions to me you saw this statement receives one free day of daycare. we will be exploring different types of apples, tasting apples, etc....."

only one parent said something

busymomof2 05:26 AM 11-16-2010
I post y days off in my policy & procedures (that they sign), in my monthly newsletter, a note home to the parents as a reminder and I also post a sign outside the door as they are waiting for me to open stating when I will be closed "Just a reminder, I will be closed Friday due to Holiday". I also have a sign that I post when fees are due "Don't forget tuition is due today...late fee if paid after 6pm". Hope this helps.
melissa ann 02:44 PM 11-16-2010
All of the holidays I am closed are listed in my handbook. I also put a reminder in the monthly newsletters. Plus, it's on the white board where the parents can look. My parents seem to read them. Gramps didnt' but his daughter does and I make sure she gets the letter.
Everytime my daughter got something from preschool or now in kindergarten, I thoroughly read everything. It affects my daughter. If I didn't read them, and she needs to bring something in to school and doesn't, boy, would I hear it from her. I really don't know why parents don't read them. Parents need to be parents and be involved with what's going on with their child.
SimpleMom 08:01 AM 11-17-2010
I include it in my Newletter a month prior to the closed date, have it on my Parent Board, write it in their Daily Communication Books, post a note the week of, AND verbally let the parent's know. This has worked great.
Tags:close, notify
Reply Up