Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Would That Do This?
daycare 09:22 AM 05-16-2011
So I have a family that has their 3 year old enrolled, but has an infant at another DC. (I don't take infants) DCG comes today sick, fever, runny eyes, nose, coughing.. The works. I ask DCG are you feeling ok? DCG starts crying and says no, I want my mommy.

I call mom to come pick up...Mom says, I'm sorry i can't pick up right now, my baby is home sick sleeping. I figured that it was better DCG was at your house until her fever got too bad. (Huh WHAT? I'm sorry did I hear you right.)
Mom goes on to say, I can't deal with two kids sick at the same time.

WHY? I just don't get it. I am so mad right now. Mom sent the DCG here sick on purpose because she did nt want to deal with having to care for two sick children. Part of me feels like handing a term notice when she comes to pick up. Which the clock is ticking, mom has one hour to pick up!!

Would you term? This is the 2nd time something like this has happened this year
momofboys 09:26 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I have a family that has their 3 year old enrolled, but has an infant at another DC. (I don't take infants) DCG comes today sick, fever, runny eyes, nose, coughing.. The works. I ask DCG are you feeling ok? DCG starts crying and says no, I want my mommy.

I call mom to come pick up...Mom says, I'm sorry i can't pick up right now, my baby is home sick sleeping. I figured that it was better DCG was at your house until her fever got too bad. (Huh WHAT? I'm sorry did I hear you right.)

WHY? I just don't get it. I am so mad right now. Mom sent the DCG here sick on purpose because she did nt want to deal with having to care for two sick children. Part of me feels like handing a term notice when she comes to pick up. Which the clock is ticking, mom has one hour to pick up!!

Wow! What did you say? I would have said, "I don't provide sick childcare. DCG needs to be picked up within 1 hr, sleeping baby or not!" OR I would have been too shocked to respond!
sharlan 09:28 AM 05-16-2011
If possible, I'd load up the sick kid and take her home.

Sometimes parents are inconsiderate idiots. If you can't handle 2 sick kids, then don't have 2 kids.
daycare 09:28 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Wow! What did you say? I would have said, "I don;t provide sick childcare. DCG needs to be picked up within 1 hr, sleeping baby or not!" OR I would have been too shocked to respond!
I did say something to that extent... I just said well I can't care for any sick children, especially when I have 5 well children to care for at the same time....3

Yes, today is monday isn't it......................gggeeeerrrr
nannyde 09:39 AM 05-16-2011

Well at least the parent will know better than to admit it next time. Next time it will be "she was FINE all weekend and awesome this morning. Must be her allergies acting up again".
MsMe 09:42 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Sometimes parents are inconsiderate idiots. If you can't handle 2 sick kids, then don't have 2 kids.
exactly!!!!!

It is more difficult and stressful to take care of two sick children but they are your OWN kids!!! you don't just get to ship them off to wherever bc you would rather just have one!!! Also how could you send yor sick child to a daycare rather than keep her home to cuddle her and make her better? What kind of Mother sends her sick child out into the world to have a bad day so she doesnt have to deal with her!!!!!!!!!!!
daycare 09:51 AM 05-16-2011
very true.... Now that she was busted being honest, she will just lie next time. If there is a next time. I am really upset that this happened again....It looks like I am going to term.......
wdmmom 09:56 AM 05-16-2011
If you don't want to term, write up a probation letter. Tell the mom that because of her unwillingness to accept your rules, the family is now placed on probation for 1 month. Go on to say that you don't provide childcare to sick children and that ALL parents need to make other arrangements if their child is ill.

If you don't want to come off as rude, tell her that all these rules are in place for her child as well...that way she can't pick up a bug one of the other children is carrying.

If necessary, re-vamp your illness policy.
KEG123 09:56 AM 05-16-2011
Wow... so she thinks getting the other kids sick is better than keeping both her kids home to get better?? How selfish. I'd be darn right telling her how selfish she is acting, too.
Sugar Magnolia 10:02 AM 05-16-2011
Not only would I insist she go home TODAY, immediately, but I would tell mom she must stay home tomorrow as well. Our public schools (as well as my center and everyone else's) has a policy "child must be free of fever for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducers". So, if the girl goes home this morning @ 10am with a fever, you know that @ 8am tomorrow she has not been fever free for 24 hours. Do you have a digital thermometer? I always try to touch the children on the head or back when they come in. If I feel a hint of fever, I give them the old beep-beep temp. reading. "Oh look mom, she has a 101 fever. She can't stay with fever. See you tomorrow if she has no fever tomorrow morning." Peace, out.
momofboys 10:14 AM 05-16-2011
So she did not come to get DCG?!?
daycare 10:14 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Not only would I insist she go home TODAY, immediately, but I would tell mom she must stay home tomorrow as well. Our public schools (as well as my center and everyone else's) has a policy "child must be free of fever for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducers". So, if the girl goes home this morning @ 10am with a fever, you know that @ 8am tomorrow she has not been fever free for 24 hours. Do you have a digital thermometer? I always try to touch the children on the head or back when they come in. If I feel a hint of fever, I give them the old beep-beep temp. reading. "Oh look mom, she has a 101 fever. She can't stay with fever. See you tomorrow if she has no fever tomorrow morning." Peace, out.
Yes, I have the policy of can not return for 24hours without the aid of meds.

I am just blown away that not only did she send DCG sick, she admitted to not wanting to care for her own daughter because it's just too much on her...Well TOO bad, I don't care for sick children, expect my own....
nannyde 10:25 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Wow... so she thinks getting the other kids sick is better than keeping both her kids home to get better??
Yes

"It's about ME NOW"
daycare 10:34 AM 05-16-2011
DCG just got picked up 45 min after the call was placed. I have a one hour rule, that all kids must be picked up within one hour after call was placed for pick up or a fee of $1.00 per min will be charged after the one hour mark.

I told DCM that I am a well daycare and I do not care for sick children. I also told her that I was not happy with her decision to send her child to DC sick instead of leaving her home. I did make her feel guilty, but she should. I then told her that she will have to find alternate care as i was no longer going to be put in this position.

She got really upset and started crying. Then my back bone broke....lol She said she was so sorry and didnt realize the position she put me in as well as the rest of the kids. She claimed to be overly exhausetd from caring for two sick kids all weekend while dad was out of town.

I then said I understood, but it's part of rasing kids right. I then decided that I would give her one final warning. I told her should her child be sent to DC ill again that I would term on the spot. I printed out the illness policy and told her that when she comes back on wednesday that she needs to bring it back signed saying that she has read the policy again and will comply with all of the rules in the policy.

She hugged me and then left. ugh.........

Did i jst dig myself into a hole?
Kaddidle Care 10:38 AM 05-16-2011

They never fail to astound me.

Time for Mom to grow up and suck it up. Nobody ever said that being a parent was easy.

I hope DCG is home where she should be.
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 05-16-2011
Eh, you know what would happen at my house.

Mom would have 30 minutes to pick up and a minimum of 48 hours out with a doctors note for return to care.

It only takes them once to learn it is just easier to keep them home when they are sick.
daycare 10:41 AM 05-16-2011
really wow... now thats a harsh penalty for sending sick....... do you mind if I ask how you have it worded?
momma2girls 10:42 AM 05-16-2011

I would call the next one on the list to pick up immediately, then terminate!!
momma2girls 10:44 AM 05-16-2011
Also make sure she doesn't send them tomorrow as well!!
Cat Herder 10:46 AM 05-16-2011
Sure . I keep medically brittle kids so "Mama don't play" is the motto that the parents often use to describe my illness policy.....

* Illness Policy: CDC Guidelines will be followed for illness exclusion. Each parent has been provided with a copy and is expected to follow them. Child must be excluded for 24 hours AFTER being symptom free WITHOUT fever reducing medications. Please do not confuse this with 24 hours after onset of symptoms. Please be proactive. If child is sent home sick, a minimum of 48 hours exclusion and a return to care form signed by a pediatrician will be required. Every child is required to have a current “3231” Immunization Form on file at all times. X___________

I have each section separate to ensure they read and understand each individual policy with as few words as humanly possible.

It is a pretty common policy in my area. I do allow wiggle room, at my discretion, for cold symptoms, food issues, easily managed illness like MRSA etc... but if I suspect blatant disregard it will be fully enforced.
CdnMumof4 10:46 AM 05-16-2011
I'd call next person on 'emergency pick up list' and then hand them a notice terminating care. if this isn't the first time they've done something like this- it's not worth your time, or your other families time! We all know that it only takes on kid with a germ, to infect a TON of people. It's a pain in the rear for the families to have to take a day off work for their sick kid [or heck..tend for two sick children at once ] but it's even more of a pain in the rear when we have to close because we are sick, and then 3 or4 [even more] other parents have to take time off work because they are sick, or need to find alternate care.

UGH how irresponsible!!!!
Unregistered 02:54 PM 05-16-2011
Wow...my mom would have loved to have the chance to NOT look after all FIVE of us when we all got sick at the same time but she never had that option...what the heck is wrong with parents these days? They can barely look after themselves..and when it comes to a sick kid (of THEIR own), they can't function at all...grrrr....they need to suck it up and be a PARENT! No one said it was going to be easy...I guess they watched all those soap operas where they put the kid to bed as an infant and the next time you see it, it is a teenager....LOL!
Mike Lassiter 10:09 PM 05-16-2011
DCG just got picked up 45 min after the call was placed. I have a one hour rule, that all kids must be picked up within one hour after call was placed for pick up or a fee of $1.00 per min will be charged after the one hour mark.

I told DCM that I am a well daycare and I do not care for sick children. I also told her that I was not happy with her decision to send her child to DC sick instead of leaving her home. I did make her feel guilty, but she should. I then told her that she will have to find alternate care as i was no longer going to be put in this position.

She got really upset and started crying. Then my back bone broke....lol She said she was so sorry and didnt realize the position she put me in as well as the rest of the kids. She claimed to be overly exhausetd from caring for two sick kids all weekend while dad was out of town.

I then said I understood, but it's part of rasing kids right. I then decided that I would give her one final warning. I told her should her child be sent to DC ill again that I would term on the spot. I printed out the illness policy and told her that when she comes back on wednesday that she needs to bring it back signed saying that she has read the policy again and will comply with all of the rules in the policy.

She hugged me and then left. ugh.........

Did i jst dig myself into a hole?
Good for you. While I understand the nature of problem from provider point of view, if mom was truthful to the end with you she wasn't trying to mislead you that she didn' t know child was ill. There is something to be said for a person who tells the truth even when it makes them look bad. Maybe she was overwhelmed and hoping for a little break. While I personally despise a liar, I also think a bit more of people who try to be honest.
You did a good thing, and she hopefully will appreciate it and not do it again. If she was really getting sympathy by twisting the truth she will pay for it sometime. I believe many people are their worst enemy at times and never understand they cause much of their misery by the way they do. Likewise I think there are rewards for trying to walk the narrow path and in helping others when you can.
Jewels 12:35 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sure . I keep medically brittle kids so "Mama don't play" is the motto that the parents often use to describe my illness policy.....

* Illness Policy: CDC Guidelines will be followed for illness exclusion. Each parent has been provided with a copy and is expected to follow them. Child must be excluded for 24 hours AFTER being symptom free WITHOUT fever reducing medications. Please do not confuse this with 24 hours after onset of symptoms. Please be proactive. If child is sent home sick, a minimum of 48 hours exclusion and a return to care form signed by a pediatrician will be required. Every child is required to have a current “3231” Immunization Form on file at all times. X___________

I have each section separate to ensure they read and understand each individual policy with as few words as humanly possible.

It is a pretty common policy in my area. I do allow wiggle room, at my discretion, for cold symptoms, food issues, easily managed illness like MRSA etc... but if I suspect blatant disregard it will be fully enforced.
So does the doctors note include the common cold?? It seems harsh I personally never take my children to the dr. for just a cold and a fever, and if my daycare required a dr note for just common illnesses , they would require to see the child, and that would cost me $115/per cold, which would really add up over the winter......and is a waste of time in the clinic for common viruses that just need to run their course, and just another reason medical costs are so high, I understand for something like strep, or the influenza..
Cat Herder 02:23 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
So does the doctors note include the common cold?? It seems harsh I personally never take my children to the dr. for just a cold and a fever, and if my daycare required a dr note for just common illnesses , they would require to see the child, and that would cost me $115/per cold, which would really add up over the winter......and is a waste of time in the clinic for common viruses that just need to run their course, and just another reason medical costs are so high, I understand for something like strep, or the influenza..
Read the first and last sentence.
Tags:inconsiderate, sick policy
Reply Up