Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Four Year Old Daycare Boy Has Been Sleeping...
youretooloud 10:30 AM 11-16-2011
He's been falling asleep a LOT in the mornings.

He's not really much of a napper, so this is very unusual. He has run a low grade fever a few times, but that was over a week ago... he just can't seem to get any energy.

He never goes out to play anymore either.

I've spoken to his mom, and she doesn't notice anything different, says he's sleeping at night and is his normal self.

Maybe I'm worrying without reason, but he's just not himself.... They don't have insurance, or a doctor..so, it's not like she can take him in and say "the daycare provider thinks he's acting weird".

Any ideas what could cause him to be so tired and unmotivated? (this has been since last Monday)
SilverSabre25 10:33 AM 11-16-2011
depression? anemia?

other than nasty options...that's the only thing I can think of.
Cat Herder 10:34 AM 11-16-2011
Does he bruise easily or seem short of breath during playtime faster than the other kids?

I'd suggest she take him to the health dept for a CBC. They are fantastic to kids.
cheerfuldom 10:43 AM 11-16-2011
How's his diet? I have a 2.5 year old that was getting really bad about this same thing and it was definitely related to her diet. I really pick my battles but doing an overhaul on the food was something that I had to insist on and it is paying off. My little daycare kid was so low energy and napping from 4 to 6 hours a day and then 12 to 14 at night....it was really bad for a few weeks.
laundrymom 10:53 AM 11-16-2011
Bruising?, rashes? Stools off ?
youretooloud 10:56 AM 11-16-2011
He eats well for me... except for the one day last week when he was actually sick.

He's telling me right now he's cold. It's not cold here.

He's had no rash or bruises.
laundrymom 11:00 AM 11-16-2011
Mono?
Lyme?
I would do a head to toe check for anything you may miss normally.
Solandia 11:17 AM 11-16-2011
I would still encourage mom to take him to a doctor. Extreme fatigue for a 4yo for over a week is concerning to me. It could have been something simple like strep throat or an ear infection that didn't clear up completely on its own causing mayhem on the little guy's system. Or it could be something that he just needs to get through, like mono. Or he could be low on Vit D or anemic.

Even without insurance, mom can find a doctor and take him in. Or go to a walk-in clinic.
Tags:health department, suspected illness
Reply Up