Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Excited!
melissa ann 06:45 AM 11-18-2011
Well, I have an interview set up for monday and today while dropping my son off at preschool, a mom asked me about childcare for her daughter. It will be temp but could be permanent if mom can get off 2nd shift at her job and switch to 1st. (She hates the 2nd shift, she doesn't get to see her daughter much) I know my son likes her little girl because he always talks about her.
She would start the week after Thanksgiving. She also needed someone who would get her daughter to preschool, and since I already take my son there, that is not an issue. Yeah!
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 11-18-2011
Cool! Wishing you luck!
sharlan 02:32 PM 11-18-2011
Fantastic!
daycare 02:48 PM 11-18-2011
keep rollin baby!! lol

Thats great to hear....good for you....YOu will soon find out that the best clients you will get will come word of mouth...

I believe anyways......
melissa ann 11:38 AM 11-19-2011
I got a call from a lady who is looking for childcare for her 2 girls (1 & 2nd grade) for an hour before school and about 2 hours after. She also has a 3 yr old. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. I may have to give notice to my remaing pt family.Which wouldnt' bother me, as the 4 yr old girl is quite annoying and so is mom. I posted about them before. My contract does say that Full-time comes before part-time and that the pt maybe termintated for someone who needs fl.
I will call the lady with the 3 kids later today and we will go from there. But, if it works out with them, I will feel kinda awkard. I get along with the owner of a daycare across the street. She refers people to me if the family is not a good match for her. She's really nice ands gives me her extra craft supplies, booklets etc from funsteps. Now, this family that I will be calling back, her kids currently go to the daycare. I don't want to cause any ill feelings as I really like the owner and she's been very helpful to me. But, at the same time, it would be more money for me,which I really need.
daycare 02:11 PM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I got a call from a lady who is looking for childcare for her 2 girls (1 & 2nd grade) for an hour before school and about 2 hours after. She also has a 3 yr old. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. I may have to give notice to my remaing pt family.Which wouldnt' bother me, as the 4 yr old girl is quite annoying and so is mom. I posted about them before. My contract does say that Full-time comes before part-time and that the pt maybe termintated for someone who needs fl.
I will call the lady with the 3 kids later today and we will go from there. But, if it works out with them, I will feel kinda awkard. I get along with the owner of a daycare across the street. She refers people to me if the family is not a good match for her. She's really nice ands gives me her extra craft supplies, booklets etc from funsteps. Now, this family that I will be calling back, her kids currently go to the daycare. I don't want to cause any ill feelings as I really like the owner and she's been very helpful to me. But, at the same time, it would be more money for me,which I really need.
word of caution.....3 kids is a lot to take on from one family. When they leave your program, that will be a HUGE chunk of your income that will be gone. It very difficult to find 3 kids to fill a spot over night..

My advice, don't take more than 2 children from one family.

Also, IME I find that families with multiple children often want discounts. Siblings are HARD
Abigail 09:39 PM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Well, this isn't technically 3 full time enrollments because you said they're in 1st and 2nd grade for b/a school kids and then just one 3 year old full time. I'm confused though....you seemed to mention that this mom of three currently has her kids enrolled at the daycare across the street??? Did I read that right? If that's true, why is she leaving? Does your neighbor know you're going to take business from her? That's awesome that she gives you extras from her daycare. Are you guys friends?
melissa ann 05:30 AM 11-20-2011
It's a daycare center across the street, not a home daycare.
The kids have been going there for about 2 months and mom found out last week that her 2 girls can't go to the daycare on Wed (our school district has off) because they are normaly only there before/afterschool. I don't understand that because they have a bunch of school agers.
I provide meals, snacks so her little boy doesn't have keep eating cold lunches because at the center you have to provide your lunch.

I would like to talk to the owner that I had been in contact with a family that is currently enrolled with her, but not sure how to go about it.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 11-20-2011
Sounds like the family is not a good match for the center across the street because they have no space for the SA'ers on certain days and the cold lunch thing.

I wouldn't be hesitant about taking 3 kids when two are SA and aren't really the bulk of income for you.

I am not sure how do go about speaking with the neighboring provider. Why is it you want to talk to her? Is it to see if she is ok for you to take this new family? Are you just a bit leary about stepping on her toes by taking this new family?

If that is why you want to talk with her, I would maybe talk with the dcm first. Ask if she gave notice and if she discussed the issues with the center provider. If she was honest about the center not being a good match, then you aren't really stepping on toes if the center doesn't offer what this family needs and you do. As the other provider, I would completely understand and not be upset with you at all in any way.
Tags:interview, potential client
Reply Up