Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack And Play Or Port-O-Crib Advice...Please
Francine 11:43 AM 06-26-2012
I am looking to replace a couple of my Pack and Plays but I'm not sure what to get, any advice would be great. It use to be that they came with a matching sheet to fit that particular mattress, now they don't and I am having a terrible time finding sheets that fit snuggly but yet don't fold up the mattress. I have sheets that in my opinion fit snuggly but yet my 1 year old can get it off. I have two pack and plays that even with the velcro tabs in place my 1 year old can fold up the mattress. I have two rooms that I can leave a crib set up in at all times, I'm not opposed to a port-o-crib but here again I would like some reviews before I purchase. I can't wait to here what you use and LOVE!
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 06-26-2012
I have two older PNP's and I love them both! I refuse to buy one of the newere ones because for some reason I feel they are shorter and smaller than the ones I currently have. I also feel like the newer ones are kind of flimsy and not nearly as sturdy or well built as the ones I have now.

I have put off buying anything else because we were told that the CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards/PNP's for 2013 and we will be notified of those changes when they happen. My licensor thinks that they will not allow PNP's for sleeping anymore but isn't 100% sure.

I use my PNP's right now for kids under 12 months and then after that I transistion them to sleep mats. I also had someone make my PNP sheets so they are super secure and very tight fitting.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
My3cents 12:17 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have two older PNP's and I love them both! I refuse to buy one of the newere ones because for some reason I feel they are shorter and smaller than the ones I currently have. I also feel like the newer ones are kind of flimsy and not nearly as sturdy or well built as the ones I have now.

I have put off buying anything else because we were told that the CPSC is developing a separate mandatory federal standard for play yards/PNP's for 2013 and we will be notified of those changes when they happen. My licensor thinks that they will not allow PNP's for sleeping anymore but isn't 100% sure.

I use my PNP's right now for kids under 12 months and then after that I transistion them to sleep mats. I also had someone make my PNP sheets so they are super secure and very tight fitting.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
What would be the reason that we would not be allowed to use pack and plays? Curious. Safer then cribs really, no bumpers, lower to the ground.
MN Day Mom 12:37 PM 06-26-2012
I got rid of all my Pack N Plays and replaced them with Dream On Me 2 in 1 Portable Folding Stationary Side Crib... I purchased 3 of them within the past year and love them all. I did upgrade the mattresses because they come with a super thin loud mattress.
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
What would be the reason that we would not be allowed to use pack and plays? Curious. Safer then cribs really, no bumpers, lower to the ground.
I have no idea but my licensor feels that it is because they are meant to be play yards or temporary sleep places and not necessarily long term safe sleeping places and also because they are lower to the ground.

I honestly have no idea but even the CPSC posts on their site that they are currently developing standard for PNP's so I guess we will have to wait and see.
cheerfuldom 12:42 PM 06-26-2012
Is making your own sheet a possibility? I dont know....I agree the sheets are harder to find these days!
spud912 12:51 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I got rid of all my Pack N Plays and replaced them with Dream On Me 2 in 1 Portable Folding Stationary Side Crib... I purchased 3 of them within the past year and love them all. I did upgrade the mattresses because they come with a super thin loud mattress.
I have the wooden portable cribs with thicker mattresses too and I love them! I really love the fact that I can easily clean ALL of the surfaces!
DCBlessings27 01:08 PM 06-26-2012
I have no idea but my licensor feels that it is because they are meant to be play yards or temporary sleep places and not necessarily long term safe sleeping places and also because they are lower to the ground.

I honestly have no idea but even the CPSC posts on their site that they are currently developing standard for PNP's so I guess we will have to wait and see.
I had heard that standards were coming out for pnps, but I hadn't heard that they might not be able to be used. We can't use bassinets or anything like that rock n sleeper thing here. It must be a crib manufactured after June of 2011 or a pnp. I won't take any infants on if they start making it so that we can't use pnps. I'm not about to buy 2-3 cribs just so that I have somewhere to nap infants.

I understand the crib thing, but it upsets me. My father-in-law hand-built my crib for me in 2009. I can use it outside daycare hours but not during daycare because I don't have a manufacturer sticker.
Kiki 01:15 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by katieica:
I won't take any infants on if they start making it so that we can't use pnps. I'm not about to buy 2-3 cribs just so that I have somewhere to nap infants.
Same boat here. I don't even have room for a crib, I use a pnp for my 7mo because at the end of the day I can collapse it, and shove that bad boy into my closet.
Kiki 01:17 PM 06-26-2012
Also- I use just a standard pnp. I have 2 different ones, one is a tad older, but is still in great condition, I use that one for play time away from the 'HI LET ME TOUCH AND POKE AT YOOOOUUU!!' group, and I use the smaller one for nap time. I def agree Blackcat, they seem to have shrunk over the years.
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by katieica:

I understand the crib thing, but it upsets me. My father-in-law hand-built my crib for me in 2009. I can use it outside daycare hours but not during daycare because I don't have a manufacturer sticker.
I know what you mean. My DH is a furniture maker and even he said that is a shame.

You are lucky that you can store yours anduse it during onon-business hours as we were told that we cannot even have a non-compliant crib (one without a ceritifcate) on the property. Even if it is in storage and not used.

My licensor said we would be issued a correction order if we have one on the property.
spud912 02:31 PM 06-26-2012
You are lucky that you can store yours anduse it during onon-business hours as we were told that we cannot even have a non-compliant crib (one without a ceritifcate) on the property. Even if it is in storage and not used.

My licensor said we would be issued a correction order if we have one on the property.
I was told the same thing back when I was considering becoming licensed (note, the crib is for my dd, not daycare children). Then I was given a guilt trip as to why I would even want my child to sleep in that crib. Yet another reason why I like to be legally unlicensed.

I personally don't like pack n plays because I like all surfaces to be easily cleanable. All it would take would be one poop smearing incident and I would be a done deal for at least a week. Plus, I don't see how that mat is comfortable!
SunnyDay 04:06 PM 06-26-2012
I have this portable crib:
http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=16806528&
I have only used it for a month but so far I am very happy. It seems very sturdy. My only complaint is that I had to buy a thicker mattress for it, the one that it comes with is very thin and kind of folds up when you put a sheet on it, it does not seem safe to me.
Francine 12:36 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I have this portable crib:
http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=16806528&
I have only used it for a month but so far I am very happy. It seems very sturdy. My only complaint is that I had to buy a thicker mattress for it, the one that it comes with is very thin and kind of folds up when you put a sheet on it, it does not seem safe to me.
Thats brings up another question, are we allowed to buy our own mattresses for the P&P as long as they fit snuggly? Years ago I had a real mattress for one of mine, not as convienent for storing because it didn't fold but much easier to sheet and much more comfortable for the child but I thought I read someplace that it wasn't allowed. If we can do that I will just start looking for mattresses, my P&P's are just fine it's the mattresses that suck.
SunnyDay 03:39 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Francine:
Thats brings up another question, are we allowed to buy our own mattresses for the P&P as long as they fit snuggly? Years ago I had a real mattress for one of mine, not as convienent for storing because it didn't fold but much easier to sheet and much more comfortable for the child but I thought I read someplace that it wasn't allowed. If we can do that I will just start looking for mattresses, my P&P's are just fine it's the mattresses that suck.
I am under the impression that you can buy a different mattress for a wooden port-a-crib because it is meant to have a mattress. So I can buy a different port-a-crib mattress because it is intended to be used with a port-a-crib and fits snuggly.

However I don't think we can use one in a P&P because they are not original to the equipment and have not been safety tested for them.

I see you are in MI, I am too, so I will try to find where I might have read this later and get back to you.
Francine 03:46 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I am under the impression that you can buy a different mattress for a wooden port-a-crib because it is meant to have a mattress. So I can buy a different port-a-crib mattress because it is intended to be used with a port-a-crib and fits snuggly.

However I don't think we can use one in a P&P because they are not original to the equipment and have not been safety tested for them.

I see you are in MI, I am too, so I will try to find where I might have read this later and get back to you.
Thank you SunnyDay!
DCBlessings27 06:14 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I was told the same thing back when I was considering becoming licensed (note, the crib is for my dd, not daycare children). Then I was given a guilt trip as to why I would even want my child to sleep in that crib.
Yes, I got really upset at one meeting. The lady in charge of surveyors here told me that I should put it in a room somewhere in the back. Then, pack it away and not pass it on to anyone else. This is a hand-built crib.
It's currently my daughter's toddler bed, and it works just fine for that purpose. I WILL use it as a crib for the child I'm currently carrying. I'll just use a pack n play during the daycare time. I also won't hide it away somewhere as it's a beautiful crib/toddler bed.
SunnyDay 11:52 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Francine:
Thank you SunnyDay!
No problem.

I have looked through the information I have and I can't find anything in writing. I can't remember where I heard that you couldn't use portable crib mattresses in P&P's You might want to contact your licensing consultant to see what they say about it.
Vesta 12:22 PM 06-27-2012
I was told during my March inspection that we would no longer be allowed to use pack-n-plays that had the collapsable sides when you pushed down on the buttons. The ones that can make you crazy until you finally get them figured out. Middle has to be unlocked in order to collapse all sides.
My inspector told me the story of a child who was standing up in the playpen, coasting, and managed to collapse the side down onto his neck and he was strangled by it.
I've yet to look up if this is a rampant problem, first I had heard of it, but okay.
She told me my own infant could sleep in one until he was of age to start pulling up.
This is in Illinois and I guess it will be a new rule here as of October (I'm guessing, I have a 5 month old and I'm addle brained)
I also had to ditch our newborns crib, even though we had the adaptor kit and no other child was ever going to sleep in it.
When I purchase a new crib I also have to write to the manufacturer and get a certificate of safety to present at inspections.
Some of these rules are really putting a hurt on the ladies who have to buy a whole bunch of new cribs and playpens.
Heidi 12:29 PM 06-27-2012
What's going to happen, probably, is that even less people will take infants! If they made a standard wooden crib a requirement here, I would not take babies. I simply do not have space, nor am I willing to put 2 or 3 cribs in my master bedroom. The pnp's are bad enough, but at least in theory I can fold them up and but them away on weekends.
Tags:2012, pack n play, portable crib
Reply Up