Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Regulations....Not Always So Smart!!!
TBird 02:38 PM 08-03-2011
In my state it's regulation that you're not allowed to use a bumper in the baby's crib. I understand that they're afraid that the little ones may suffocate themselves, yadda yadda....I get that. But my 9 month old DCG keeps getting her little ham hock (fat leg) stuck in between the crib slats when she's sleeping. I'm so afraid she'll wake up, fall backwards or to the side and break her leg/ankle or injure herself in some way.

I just feel like some of these regulations aren't thought out all the way. I feel like calling my licensor on this one but I don't want to be petty. It's just the principle of the thing!!!
sharlan 02:47 PM 08-03-2011
You can call all you want, but you're not going to change the regs. I believe (but may be wrong) that those regs are in place for SIDS.
TBird 02:53 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
You can call all you want, but you're not going to change the regs. I believe (but may be wrong) that those regs are in place for SIDS.
It's definitely for SIDS but they forgot about my poor little chubsy wubsy 9 month old...she's way past SIDS concern.
JenNJ 03:02 PM 08-03-2011
Are you allowed mesh guards?
Alexandra 06:08 PM 08-03-2011
Can you use a pack n play?
laundrymom 06:42 PM 08-03-2011
Use a pack and play or deal with stuck legs, and 9 months is not too old for SIDS. My niece died 8 days from her first birthday. Of SIDS.
MarinaVanessa 06:48 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
It's definitely for SIDS but they forgot about my poor little chubsy wubsy 9 month old...she's way past SIDS concern.
Hate to tell you but ... in reality SIDS can hit all the way up to age 5
Sunshine44 07:20 PM 08-03-2011
Can you not use the breathable bumpers? They are made for this reason. Also, normal bumpers like you are talking about are not only a suffocation hazard, kids can use them to 'climb out' of the crib.
Unregistered 08:57 PM 08-03-2011
Many older ones are too far apart.....

This alone is an issue...

Have you thought about a mesh cover or padding each rail?
AnneCordelia 03:40 AM 08-04-2011
That is one of those regs that is there for a reason, IMO. I would also use a PnP if you are worried about her in the crib.
TSDaycare 03:47 AM 08-04-2011
I agree! I have always thought some of the regulations were ridiculous and the people who come up with them oughta have to try them out themselves before forcing us to do them!
TBird 05:14 AM 08-04-2011
Wow...I had no clue SIDS could happen up to 5 years old!!! Thanks ladies...I'll try the PNP but I just felt bad for her because when I sit her in the PNP for bathroom breaks she claws at the sides of it trying to stand up. Guess I'll have to buckle down and see how she does in it...
AnythingsPossible 06:25 AM 08-04-2011
Would it be within your regulations to weave a sheet or towel through the slats??
Cat Herder 06:29 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Wow...I had no clue SIDS could happen up to 5 years old!!! Thanks ladies...I'll try the PNP but I just felt bad for her because when I sit her in the PNP for bathroom breaks she claws at the sides of it trying to stand up. Guess I'll have to buckle down and see how she does in it...
We recently had a 20 year old who died in his sleep of "Unknown Cause" in my hometown....

SIDS is just the term they use for that when they are young. SIDS literally means "We don't know".

It is not age dependant...the RISK STATISTICS just go down with age.
MG&Lsmom 10:43 AM 08-04-2011
I wonder if you could put the bumper or the mesh guard on the outside of the crib. It should be tight enough to keep her from pushing her foot too far through, maybe.

They also sell plastic railing guard you attach with zip ties. I had it on the stair railings in my 1st home that was 120 years old and historically protected so we couldn't replace the banister. Talk about spacing being too wide!
squareone 11:08 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
SIDS is just the term they use for that when they are young. SIDS literally means "We don't know".
YES!!! People always look at my like I am crazy when I tell them that I don't "believe" in SIDS
Cat Herder 11:31 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
YES!!! People always look at my like I am crazy when I tell them that I don't "believe" in SIDS
I get that...I do.

My son died of SIDS as most already know.

They have no known cause of SIDS.

What they have are hundreds of Research Studies and years of Statistics.

The stats do support the laying of a infant on their back to sleep, on a firm mattress with tight fitting sheets, in a cool well ventilated room, without pillows, bumpers or blankets to prevent the KNOWN risks.

It prevents many KNOWN causes of infant death...positional asphyxia, strangulation, suffocation, rebreathing/relative Hypoxia, inhalation pneumonia/drowning (bottles in bed), heat stroke (from over dressing) and entrapment.

They have to "dumb down" the Stats and KNOWN risks for the masses and label it all under "SIDS Training". SIDS is a buzz word that people respond to.
JenNJ 01:29 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Would it be within your regulations to weave a sheet or towel through the slats??
Do NOT do this! Nothing in cribs with babies under 1! EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Tags:crib, crib bumpers, crib rules, infant - safety, regulations, safety, sids
Reply Up