Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCB :(
Mary Poppins 05:36 PM 01-31-2012
He is almost 6 and in K and has only been with me for a few weeks. He's a really NICE little guy and seems to be adjusting really well here and is happy to be out of the center he was in. But he's been wetting his pants.

He had an accident yesterday, after playing with our water table, so I thought it was just one of those things. Then today, I picked him up from school and he did it again on the way home, all over the booster seat.

When I spoke to dcm at pick up, she said wth, the school called her today to bring clothes because he did it there, too!

She seemed pretty concerned and mentioned that he is still in Pull-Ups at night (which I didn't know until now). We talked about having him checked by his pediatrician and she told me he'd had a problem before where there was blood in his urine (first time I heard that, too).

So I'm not sure now what to do. I REALLY like him, his sister and his mom but I can't have him wetting himself here. I mean, it's a sanitation issue because he doesn't say anything (out of embarrassment probably) and by the time I notice he's already been all over, in the ballpit, etc. so I have to bleach everything and steam clean carpets, couches, booster seats etc.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to go forward.
JenNJ 05:41 PM 01-31-2012
Poor buddy!

No advice but I can imagine that is frustrating for all involved. Is he shy? Maybe he is embarrassed to ask to use the potty at school and at the end of the school day he REALLY needs to go and can't hold it in the car.

A friend of mine's son is very shy and I gave them an idea that has helped tremendously. Her son is so shy he won't even speak in school. So when he needed to use the rest room he was afraid to ask. Now he holds up a green card to the teacher and she sends him to the potty. This was his needs are met and he isn't embarrassed by asking or having an accident. Maybe you could implement this for him when he is with you and pass the idea to mom and she could talk with his teachers.
Crystal 05:41 PM 01-31-2012
I would, for now, attribute it to so many transitions. It is quite normal for a child this age to regress, temporarily, when there is a lot of change in their lives.

As far as pull-ups at night and bed wetting, I wouldn't even stress about that for a couple of years.

I say, for you and Mom, don't pressure him or make a big deal of it unless it becomes a long-term thing. Oh, and I would kindly remind him to use the restroom ever so often, especially just before leaving school
Mary Poppins 05:49 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Poor buddy!

No advice but I can imagine that is frustrating for all involved. Is he shy? Maybe he is embarrassed to ask to use the potty at school and at the end of the school day he REALLY needs to go and can't hold it in the car.

A friend of mine's son is very shy and I gave them an idea that has helped tremendously. Her son is so shy he won't even speak in school. So when he needed to use the rest room he was afraid to ask. Now he holds up a green card to the teacher and she sends him to the potty. This was his needs are met and he isn't embarrassed by asking or having an accident. Maybe you could implement this for him when he is with you and pass the idea to mom and she could talk with his teachers.
He actually is kind of shy, but he has been really comfortable here asking to use the bathroom but who knows what he's like at school. My dh wonders if he has a bully at school that keeps him from wanting to go to the potty alone. Who knows.

Just wondering if it continues whether or not I should require Pull Ups for him or if that might psychologically affect him and make it worse.
Mary Poppins 05:52 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Oh, and I would kindly remind him to use the restroom ever so often, especially just before leaving school
Definitely plan on doing that and I'll also try to ask every hour if he needs to go. Just before he went home, he was at the train table doing the potty dance and I think I dodged another bullet by noticing and sending him to do his thing.

So it could be a combo of transition and being too preoccupied maybe.
Breezy 06:00 PM 01-31-2012
Could it be a UTI? Could make the feeling of needing to urinate strongervand more uncomfortable.
Crystal 07:50 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Definitely plan on doing that and I'll also try to ask every hour if he needs to go. Just before he went home, he was at the train table doing the potty dance and I think I dodged another bullet by noticing and sending him to do his thing.

So it could be a combo of transition and being too preoccupied maybe.
lol. yeah, I've dodged that bullet a few times myself

I think that's it......transition/preoccupied. I would continue to show him a little extra attention to help him transition and keep reminding him to potty....just as you've been doing

Give him a little time, and then if he doesn't get it, have Mom get a pediatric consultation.
Mary Poppins 08:18 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Could it be a UTI? Could make the feeling of needing to urinate strongervand more uncomfortable.
Well she did mention he had a problem with urine in his blood before? I just feel so bad for him! He is SUCH A SWEETHEART. I mean, literally the perfect dck (if there is such a thing lol).

I'm hoping it isn't medical, he's had ear infections lately and is on antibiotics for that. Poor little guy.
Mary Poppins 08:24 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
lol. yeah, I've dodged that bullet a few times myself

I think that's it......transition/preoccupied. I would continue to show him a little extra attention to help him transition and keep reminding him to potty....just as you've been doing

Give him a little time, and then if he doesn't get it, have Mom get a pediatric consultation.
Thanks, Crystal. I will do just that. His mom already mentioned taking him to the doc so hopefully they will rule out something medical. I just hate to think coming here is causing this kwim?

He and his mom both assure me he loves it here but he did spend most of his young life at the same dc center and he talks about it A LOT. Today I asked him if he misses being there and he emphatically said "no!" lol but it still must be hard on him since he was there for so long. Not to mention mom didn't wait out the 2 week notice she gave them and began bringing him to me right away.

It's probably almost like a death for him and I know kids are resilient but I think these things affect them much more than most of us realize or want to admit.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:40 AM 02-01-2012
My son is 6 and in K. He was in K last year too and was soooo shy, that the teacher actually asked me if there was something wrong with him.

So when it was interview time I told her straight out that he is extreamly shy and when he is ready to open up to you or anybody else, he will on his OWN time, not yours.

Anyway the point im trying to make is that he would hold his urine and refuse to tell her he had to go, so I suggested that SHE remind him to go, and it worked.

This year he is a completely different child, but he still pees the bed at night so he wears pull ups still. It's hereditary.
Tags:accidents - night time, potty accidents, wetting clothes
Reply Up