Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Attn: Minnesota Providers ~ Union Vote
DCMom 05:58 PM 11-15-2011
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/1...ders/#comments

FYI, apparently only providers who are subsidized will be able to vote. Not fair my opinion; shouldn't all licensed providers have the chance to voice their opinion on the issue? Not just the ones who would be most affected by it?

Just wanted to pass along!
Zoe 06:08 PM 11-15-2011
Well I was initially peeved off when I started reading this, as I am not one of those providers who wants to be unionized. Call it my rebellious nature, but I don't want more rules, ya know?! But it looks like even if it goes through, it will be voluntary and only affects those who take subsidy, so it makes sense that those who are affected get to vote.
DCMom 06:29 PM 11-15-2011
Think about it, if licensing requirements (for example) are collectively bargained by the union, ALL providers who are licensed will be affected whether you are a member of the union or not. Eventually a daycare union would affect all providers in some way.

Whether you are for or against a union, if you don't have subsidized families, you don't have the opportunity to vote. Therefore, you have no say in what could potentially affect you and your business in the future.

Approximately 5,000 will be making the decision for the other 6,000. I imagine that those 5,000 will be largely in favor of a union. I don't have a problem with the vote, I just think that all of us should have the opportunity voice our opinion.

Are there any providers here who are unionized? Does it benefit you? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
mema 08:26 PM 11-15-2011
I think we should all get to vote. Just because you don't have subsidy children doesn't mean at some point the union wouldn't affect you or you wouldn't maybe have a subsidy child later. Ugh. I hope it just all stops and goes away! I guess we'll have to wait and see.
GretasLittleFriends 08:31 PM 11-15-2011
I truly believe that the union specifically requested the vote only for providers who accept CCAP, and the reason being that effective 10/31/11 the Child Care Assistance Program decreased it's reimbursement rates. The unions must figure that those providers who are affected by this rate decrease would be upset and chose to vote FOR the union as a way to "bargain" with the state to increase the rates the state covers.

2010 MN Statute 119B.13 Subd1(a) Beginning July 1, 2006, the maximum rate paid for child care assistance in any county or multicounty region under the child care fund shall be the rate for like-care arrangements in the county effective January 1, 2006, increased by six percent.

2011 MN Statute 119B.13 Subd1Beginning October 31, 2011, the maximum rate paid for child care assistance in any county or multicounty region under the child care fund shall be the rate for like-care arrangements in the county effective July 1, 2006, decreased by 2.5 percent.
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 11-16-2011
"Dayton’s order limits the ability to joining unions to licensed home day care providers who receive state subsidies."

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/214781/

From what I have been told, the only bargaining rights that would be arguable are those rules and regulation in regards to the CCAP program ONLY.

No unions/members will have the authority or right to argue or approve state licensing rules and regs.

...We shall see though, I think the whole idea is a bunch of B.S.

The rep who came to see me was really forceful and VERY rude! He said he was an off duty social worker and that he was doing all this for me (MN providers) and that I was ungrateful for the hard work he has put into getting this to happen for us!!

He basically told me if I didn't sign my card that I would be noted as a hostile provider! He also said that it is going to pass whether we (providers) liked it or not!

He tried to give me an AFSCME T-shirt. I declined. He left it on my steps.
Zoe 12:06 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"Dayton’s order limits the ability to joining unions to licensed home day care providers who receive state subsidies."

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/214781/

From what I have been told, the only bargaining rights that would be arguable are those rules and regulation in regards to the CCAP program ONLY.

No unions/members will have the authority or right to argue or approve state licensing rules and regs.

...We shall see though, I think the whole idea is a bunch of B.S.

The rep who came to see me was really forceful and VERY rude! He said he was an off duty social worker and that he was doing all this for me (MN providers) and that I was ungrateful for the hard work he has put into getting this to happen for us!!

He basically told me if I didn't sign my card that I would be noted as a hostile provider! He also said that it is going to pass whether we (providers) liked it or not!

He tried to give me an AFSCME T-shirt. I declined. He left it on my steps.
Oh for the love of pete. People like that usually get some sort of sarcastic comment from me and a door in their face. Catch more bees with honey! Guess that guy never heard that saying!
DCMom 12:39 PM 11-16-2011
I would like to know what the actual subsidy rates are for my county. Do they now pay for vacation/sick/holidays?

If I am reading Greta's post correctly, 2.5% less of the average rate for my county for full time infant care is $.75 less than what I charge private pay. Less than $1. So, if they get vacation and sick days, I'm not sure what the subsidized providers are complaining about for 'low' subsidy rates, because prior to 10/31/11 they are getting more than what I charge.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I haven't raised my rates in 5 years and I base them by the Child Care Rate Survey; rates around here haven't changed that much in the last several years ~ so I'm not sure what the issue is?
2ndFamilyDC 12:45 PM 11-16-2011
I am a MN lic. childcare provider and I have one family I receive subsidy from.

I AM VERY MUCH AGAINST THIS UNION.

Don't want it, don't want no part of having another source telling
me what to do and what not to do.
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I would like to know what the actual subsidy rates are for my county. Do they now pay for vacation/sick/holidays?

If I am reading Greta's post correctly, 2.5% less of the average rate for my county for full time infant care is $.75 less than what I charge private pay. Less than $1. So, if they get vacation and sick days, I'm not sure what the subsidized providers are complaining about for 'low' subsidy rates, because prior to 10/31/11 they are getting more than what I charge.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I haven't raised my rates in 5 years and I base them by the Child Care Rate Survey; rates around here haven't changed that much in the last several years ~ so I'm not sure what the issue is?

https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6441A-ENG

This lists current rates for the state. Just scroll until you find your county

If you are accredited, then use this link: https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6442A-ENG

They do NOT pay for vacations (neither providers or family's) but do pay sick/absent days, although the number of those has been decreased as well.

Here is the link to the thread I posted about all the new CCAP changes :https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34136
DCMom 02:28 PM 11-16-2011
Thanks Blackcat. I looked at the edocs page of the dhs website, but I guess I didn't know what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

It looks at though for my county, the subsidy rates are $3.25/week lower than what I charge as private pay. If I were to be accredited, they are about $25/higher than what I currently charge. The difference then is in the vacation/holidays.

Knowing this, I am still unsure as to why subsidized providers feel that the rates are so low that they need a union to advocate for them? I was under the impression that they were SIGNIFICANTLY lower; not just a few dollars. They are making pretty much what everyone else makes, minus vacation/holidays which vary widely from provider to provider.

I'm sorry to be such a pain...I'm just trying to look at this thing from all sides. I still don't understand the reasoning behind only 1/2 of providers being allowed to vote. That's my REAL beef with the whole thing
Unregistered 09:03 AM 12-01-2011
Apparently, joining the union will be "optional" at first, but the initial request was for it to be mandatory. I think the word optional is being used to lure providers into supporting the up coming vote but then the tune will change afterwards.

I have yet to hear from anyone anything positive coming from unionization of home based child care providers.

Interestingly, the CCAP assistance rates were decreased by 2.5% a few weeks ago so I think they are banking on provider's being upset at the pay decrease and will vote yes for the union and expect them to fight for pay increases. (but the front page of our local paper says "County board votes 2.5% salary increase for ALL county employees") WTH?!?!?

As far as I can tell, the only benefits of unionizing home based child care providers is for the parents receiving CCAP.

Is there ANYONE out there who is a home based child care provider that can tell me any benefits from unionization??? Anyone???
GretasLittleFriends 03:25 PM 12-05-2011
Saw this on KSTP (ABC News from St. Paul) just moments ago, and had to share.

Judge blocks union vote for child care providers:
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2399442.shtml?cat=1
Rubysmom 04:07 PM 12-05-2011
Thank goodness. This issue is keeping me from starting my licensing process. I am very much against the union, but esp against only a small percentage of providers making the decision.
Unregistered 04:21 PM 01-07-2012
Hello fellow MN child care providers! I happened to come across this thread and wanted to share some information with you about the proposed child care unions. I am active in a coalition of licensed family child care providers who are opposed to the unionization of child care providers. We have been working to provide information on the union issue to child care providers, our legislators and the public for the past six years. We have collected a large amount of information on the unions and that information can be found at www.childcareunioninfo.com . You can see the actual contracts the unions have negotiated in other states and learn what you can do to help if you are interested. You can watch the hearings that have taken place and see copies of the executive order and other documents related to the union issue.

There is a couple of things that I wanted to clarify. This union is not voluntary as it is being portrayed. According to the Executive Order, should the union win the election (if an election happens) they will represent ALL licensed, registered and subsidized providers whether they choose to join or not. The only thing that is voluntary is full union membership which would allow you to vote. If you signed one of those union authorization cards, you may already be a member. So if you take a child on the subsidy program, the union will be your exclusive representative even if you choose not to join.

#10 on the Executive order states that "Nothing in this order shall be construed to require participation or the involuntary payment of dues". Many believe that this means the union is voluntary and all payments to the union are voluntary. This again is not the case. This merely means that you must agree to the deduction of dues before they can take them which is as simple as adding a line to the registration paperwork that says "by signing this agreement I agree to the deduction of dues/fees". This information came from a lawyer that we are working with who specializes in labor law. Both unions have stated that they intend to collect fair share fees and both the unions and the Governor when we met with him said this is a small starting point and the union could be expanded in the future to include all 11,000 child care providers.

It is important that providers do their research now and decide whether they want to be union or not because the next hearing is January 22nd and the Judge could rule that the election can take place right away. Once the union is recognized it will be almost impossible to get rid of them. Visit our website to get information and contact your local representatives to let them know how you feel about unionizing child care providers. We are also on facebook at "childcare providers who are happy to be union free".
Tags:minnesota, subsidy, union
Reply Up