Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking A Mile In A Daycare Provider's Shoes...
cillybean83 10:14 AM 01-18-2011
I know most kids start daycare around 6 weeks - 3 months when mom goes back to work, and I think that has a LOT to do with their high expectations of daycare services. By "high expectations" I mean rocking to sleep, holding baby while sleeping, holding a bottle for baby when baby is capable of doing this for him/herself, letting baby have no set schedule, and the list could go on and on...

If these parents spent everyday with their child I think they would drawl 1 of 2 conclusions...

1. letting baby run the show is WAY TOO STINKIN HARD ON ME...this kid needs a SCHEDULE and need to learn to do for themselves if they are capable

or

2. Dear God I pity the person who has to watch my kid all day...the deserve a raise and a monthly bonus!!

Like my own child for example, he's 13 months old, and I love him dearly, but he is a hot mess, very clingy, in constant need of attention, hates naps, loves his bottle...basically he's a walking textbook definition of the kind of daycare kid we would all HATE to have and I tell my husband everyday that we are sooooo lucky he doesn't have to go to daycare somewhere else!!!! lol
KEG123 10:18 AM 01-18-2011
Same here, which is one reason my son never went to daycare. From what I've been reading from this forum, you all would not want my son as a dck. (well, at least when he was an infant) He was breastfed, wouldn't take a bottle, no binky, slept often on my lap, co-slept til he was 18 months... but now he's a perfect child, well behaved, smart, funny. The only thing about him now is that he's a picky eater and the room has to be DARK and SILENT for him to sleep. (Luckily his room is upstairs)
cillybean83 10:21 AM 01-18-2011
My little man decided that 4 am was the PERFECT time to wake up this morning...I mean wide awake, jumping in the crib yelling "mum mum hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! da da hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

he's trouble with a capital T....but of course it doesn't irk me as bad as it would if he didn't belong to me...you guys would want to whoop his lil behind i'm sure...and I can't say that i'd blame ya for wanting to! haha
sahm2three 11:39 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I know most kids start daycare around 6 weeks - 3 months when mom goes back to work, and I think that has a LOT to do with their high expectations of daycare services. By "high expectations" I mean rocking to sleep, holding baby while sleeping, holding a bottle for baby when baby is capable of doing this for him/herself, letting baby have no set schedule, and the list could go on and on...

If these parents spent everyday with their child I think they would drawl 1 of 2 conclusions...

1. letting baby run the show is WAY TOO STINKIN HARD ON ME...this kid needs a SCHEDULE and need to learn to do for themselves if they are capable

or

2. Dear God I pity the person who has to watch my kid all day...the deserve a raise and a monthly bonus!!

Like my own child for example, he's 13 months old, and I love him dearly, but he is a hot mess, very clingy, in constant need of attention, hates naps, loves his bottle...basically he's a walking textbook definition of the kind of daycare kid we would all HATE to have and I tell my husband everyday that we are sooooo lucky he doesn't have to go to daycare somewhere else!!!! lol
Every day I tell my hubby that daycare providers deserve a medal for doing the work we do! With often very little thanks. Who would go out and work every day for 10 to 12 hours a day with NO breaks?! A daycare provider. That's about all I can think of!

I had a son like your son. He was colicky for his first year of life and very high needs after that. He didn't really level off until around age 5. I always said what you said about your son. Thank GOD we didn't have to take him to daycare! No one would have taken him!
countrymom 02:23 PM 01-18-2011
my parents tell me very often how they would never ever be able to do my job. But no one would have wanted my last kid, breastfed till the age of 3yrs, clingy, nap was all over the place, no bottles or binkys and she co slept (opps some nights she still does and she's 6) but she's very smart and knows a bit too much for her age and can do stuff that she shouldn't at her age (doesn't help that she is the 4th kid either)
MG&Lsmom 02:32 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
my parents tell me very often how they would never ever be able to do my job. But no one would have wanted my last kid, breastfed till the age of 3yrs, clingy, nap was all over the place, no bottles or binkys and she co slept (opps some nights she still does and she's 6) but she's very smart and knows a bit too much for her age and can do stuff that she shouldn't at her age (doesn't help that she is the 4th kid either)
I have 2 of these kids, my 2nd and 3rd children. 2nd has pretty much outgrown most of this at 4.5yo, but my 2yo, not even the grands care to watch him.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
OMG, countrymom that is soo funny (now... I'm sure it wasn't then) because no one wanted my last one either.....sometimes I even thought "what am I doing?" and although I wanted more children, I refrained thanks to him..... but now, he is 19 and I couldn't ask for a more polite, respectful, well mannered son. If a little birdie had told me he would turn out to be such a blessing in the future, I may have reconsidered having another, but after going through a few friends who watched him, and getting kicked out of 3 daycares in 6 months at under 1 year old and having to drop out of college myself due to no childcare....I just couldn't do it....so now I do daycare! LOL
kendallina 02:39 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Same here, which is one reason my son never went to daycare. From what I've been reading from this forum, you all would not want my son as a dck. (well, at least when he was an infant) He was breastfed, wouldn't take a bottle, no binky, slept often on my lap, co-slept til he was 18 months... but now he's a perfect child, well behaved, smart, funny. The only thing about him now is that he's a picky eater and the room has to be DARK and SILENT for him to sleep. (Luckily his room is upstairs)
This is very similar to my DD. Breastfed until 16 months, no bottle, wouldn't take a binky and VERY clingy as an infant. I wouldn't take a second of that back, though. We got so many good cuddles and got to lay with her and sleep and watch her sleep in our laps. It worked great for us. Now she's a lovely, bubbly, well-behaved 2-yr old, who does great when I leave her with friends.
KEG123 02:46 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
This is very similar to my DD. Breastfed until 16 months, no bottle, wouldn't take a binky and VERY clingy as an infant. I wouldn't take a second of that back, though. We got so many good cuddles and got to lay with her and sleep and watch her sleep in our laps. It worked great for us. Now she's a lovely, bubbly, well-behaved 2-yr old, who does great when I leave her with friends.
My son nursed until 2. He is very much a momma's boy. Still get lots of loves and cuddles and he's almost 3.
Abigail 06:54 PM 01-18-2011

or

So funny to mention this. I've started a part time job recently and part of our training was about how well we do our jobs and customers having their two cents put in. The person directing this online video meeting (not sure what they're called, this was my first one) said most people ask for discounts. Then he asked for a raise of hands how many people come to our business and offer to pay more because it's much too cheap. LOL...I cracked up laughing (since this NEVER happens), but my boss didn't think it was funny.
laundrymom 07:30 PM 01-18-2011
My little man decided that 4 am was the PERFECT time to wake up this morning...I mean wide awake, jumping in the crib yelling "mum mum hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! da da hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

he's trouble with a capital T....but of course it doesn't irk me as bad as it would if he didn't belong to me...you guys would want to whoop his lil behind i'm sure...and I can't say that i'd blame ya for wanting to! haha
I'm on the flip side. Mine is coming home at 4 am sliding into bed and wanting to sleep to 9 the next morning. Lol but he's almost 20. Lol and working til wee hours
cillybean83 07:38 PM 01-18-2011
I'm glad my little guy isn't the only high maintenence kiddo out there! My parents will only watch him one night a month, they said they can't take much more of him because he's such a nut lol
Tags:overwhelmed, provider honors
Reply Up