Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unannounced Visit
kcnjason 08:54 PM 05-01-2011
I don't mind un-scheduled visits or drop-ins except at certain times. I had a mother call wanting to see about her 2 kids starting daycare with me. She said that she was going to stop by sometime and I feel as if I shouldn't ask for a time frame, little alone an exact time as I want them to know that when they pop in it will be just as if their child was in my care and the parent stopped over. However, the other day I only had my daughter and an infant, which was sleeping. I was completely un prepared and felt bad for not being more prepared, yet I had no idea she may stop in so soon. Because it was a VERY light morning, we were not doing the activities we normally do as I was picking up around the house and my daughter was doing some coloring. My main reason for writing this is to see how other providers feel about un-announced visits? When you have openings and somebody just pops in. How do you handle it? I really do not like to make issues out of small things but I am curious about how everyone else does "new"families. And if you like to have a planned time, how do you tell the parent?
Abigail 09:02 PM 05-01-2011
Did this person stop in the same day? It's weird they didn't ask when you'd be available to meet, lol. How long did this mom and child stay at your home? How did they get your address? I wouldn't like an unannounced visit myself, but I would be sure to setup a time for them to stop by before giving out my address. I would also want to spend a few minutes talking on the phone to get a better feel for the person.
JenNJ 03:29 AM 05-02-2011
I don't release my address until a few hours before the interview. This would NOT happen here. I had one person stop by and ask if I did daycare and if she could interview but she got a big, fat no from me.
laundrymom 03:41 AM 05-02-2011
I don't allow unscheduled visits. Period. I'm a private childcare home. Not a public center. Unscheduled gets stopped at the door.
Pammie 04:01 AM 05-02-2011
I have an open-door policy but only for parent's whose children are enrolled. They're welcome to stop by anytime unannounced.

For the safety and security of the children (and myself) anyone that I haven't previously met is *NEVER* allowed in my home during daycare hours.

I have had several people over the years just come knocking at the door, wanting to come in to "see the daycare" during daycare hours. All except one understood why I wouldn't let them in and scheduled a time to come back for a formal interview. The one that didn't understand called licensing and tried to report me for "not letting her and her son in the door".
nannyde 04:12 AM 05-02-2011
No I don't allow this. I have an open door policy for the children currently enrolled in care. This allows the parents to come in and see THEIR child at any time. I offer a second playroom separate from the playroom the children are in for any parent visits.

Never had anyone take me up on it.
mickey2 04:20 AM 05-02-2011
My current families can stop by anytime they like while their child is here but never a prospective client. All of my interviews are done after hours!
PitterPatter 04:30 AM 05-02-2011
I never meet with a stranger during daycare hours, drop in or scheduled. Anyone could come in the home and harm the kids these days. Just because a family has children doesn't mean they are good people. I schedule all interviews on the weekends. If they want./need daycare bad enough they will wait or go elsewhere. I would never jeopardize the safety of children. U just don't know these days. They could be a pedophile looking for kids. If they came they could learn the kids names by listening to them or find out what a fav toy is etc. Heck these days it wouldn't be too shocking for some nut to take everyone hostage! (a little overactive brain this morn) But u just never know.

As for parents I have an open door but if they are coming to hang out they can take the kid and go. I am all state paid and the parents aren't permitted to shop or go to Dr appts etc. They are to be working the entire time or I don't get paid. I do allow the drop ins but discourage visits, pick up even drop offs during nap time. I haven't had many drop ins but when I have I hate them because the parent usually doesnt leave and isnt even reallt there to evaluate the kid. It's like they are bored and came to chat with a friend. I would love to say no drop ins but that would make me wonder what someone had to hide u know?
cheerfuldom 05:05 AM 05-02-2011
I wouldn't allow it either. I don't allow strangers around my kids or the daycare kids. Interviews are after hours only and by appointment only. After they are enrolled, parents can drop by any time provided it is not excessive or disruptive.
kcnjason 05:40 AM 05-02-2011
What everyone has wrote is exactly how I feel. Even worse, she stopped by cause she was passing by and had a few extra minutes, WITHOUT her children. I have never really told a person they could Not stop by because as a parent I understand how a parent may feel in that situation. They may feel that I will "prepare" for their visit and hurry and clean, she probably wanted to catch me in "action", see how I operated while parents were not here. However, she was probably a bit surprised herself as I didn't have any kids other than my own daughter and a sleeping child. And then she asked, pointing the the room the baby was in, "can I peek at the room the baby sleeps in"? I did apologize for the play area not being picked up but kind of felt awkward having her "pop" in. I'm wondering if I should say anything the next time we visit. I kind of would like to send her a messsage asking her to give me heads up before she would like to come over with her child. She did say that she would like to stop over when she had her children with her, does this mean ANOTHER unannounced visit?
Meeko 07:12 AM 05-02-2011
For the safety of the children I have in care (and me!)...I NEVER let an unexpected stranger in the house! I have had a few times where someone has just arrived on the doorstep looking for care. I stand right in the doorway and tell them they need to make an appointment. I explain that we are not a public building...this is a home. I tell them I am busy working with the children right now and would be happy to talk to them after hours at an agreed upon time.

I even have it in my contract that parents are not to bring their family and friends to "look around" the day care. Their family and friends are strangers to me. Would they show strangers around their homes at no notice????!!!! When I explain that it is a safety issue for the children and a privacy issue for my family....most people understand. Those who automatically think I am "hiding" something are the ones I don't want as clients anyway! I have an open door policy for the parents of enrolled children. However, that doesn't mean they can just walk in. My front door stays locked 24/7 and they have to ring the bell. They may come and visit with their child any time during work hours. We bring their child out to another room so they can spend time together. The parents are not allowed to mingle with other people's kids. Waaaaay to much liability.
cheerfuldom 09:03 AM 05-02-2011
I think you need to lay down the law right now otherwise this mom will have the feeling that she can come and go, roam around your house at will. Send her an email or call her and let her know that you enjoyed meeting her, she is welcome to bring her son next time but you do need to know in advance. You made an exception to her dropping in the first time but in the future, she will have to interview by appointment only. Then explain what your rule is post-enrollment. Don't start out this relationship feeling like you have to back up on your rules and be quite so accommodating.
kcnjason 09:28 AM 05-02-2011
Thanks for all of your input. I did send her a message to let her know that if she is interested in bringing her son by that I would like her to call me and arrange a good time because when I have company that is not planned, it interfers with our schedule, activities, etc. I guess I will see if I hear from her. She was very pushy I felt, and maybe she is one parent that I would NOT want to deal with. All of my regular parents are so comfortable and they often feel awkward walking into my "home" although it is their childs daycare. At least they respect my home.
seashell 09:37 AM 05-02-2011
My first interviews are all done after hours as well when we are able to talk without interuptions and I can assess if the visitors pose a risk to the kids. I offer people I want to work with the chance to bring their child for an hour of play time, parents STAY! If I don't like them, they don't get that offer.
nannyde 10:08 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
Thanks for all of your input. I did send her a message to let her know that if she is interested in bringing her son by that I would like her to call me and arrange a good time because when I have company that is not planned, it interfers with our schedule, activities, etc. I guess I will see if I hear from her. She was very pushy I felt, and maybe she is one parent that I would NOT want to deal with. All of my regular parents are so comfortable and they often feel awkward walking into my "home" although it is their childs daycare. At least they respect my home.
How do you mean she was very pushy?
MamaBear 10:37 AM 05-02-2011
This happened to me when I first started doing daycare years ago. I had a lady call who had a definite problem understanding English. Her accent was really strong. I dont know why, but I gave her my address because she said she wanted to google where abouts I was located. I didnt even have a space available and I told her that. Well the next day she just shows up! Totally unannounced!

I didnt open the door and so she stood by her minivan with her family of like 8 people and called repeatedly from her cell phone. I just didnt answer it because I didnt want her to know I was home. I started to get scared because she wouldnt leave!!! She would walk back to her van and then come back and ring over & over.

FINALLY she got the hint and left. I listened to her voicemails and she was soooo rude! Basically yelling at me that she knows I must be home so I need to let her in to tour. WTH? NOW if this happened now, I feel like I'm a lot tougher after doing daycare for awhile. So if it happened now I would NEVER give my address to anyone UNLESS I really wanted them to sign up and was scheduling a visit. And I still dont even give them the address until they are on there way here.

That taught me a big lesson. It was scary and made me realize that I need to really consider the safety of my daycare children when regarding tours and not allow tours during my "daycare hours". You never know who is contacting you off of Craigslist or wherever. I've had families come for 2nd tours to see the kids in action - but thats after I've screened them first
laundrymom 11:07 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
How do you mean she was very pushy?
What she said!

She was an uninvited stranger demanding to see your home. I can think of all kinds of bad scenarios.
Mom_of_two 11:33 AM 05-02-2011
I always schedule an appointment. Either at 545 pm when my work day is done or during nap time.

I'd say trust your gut on the pushy. not worth it.
kcnjason 01:05 PM 05-02-2011
You asked what I meant by "pushy"? After I let her in the front door, we visited a bit and then she slowly started walking into my kitched towards the back door, I'm sure to check out the back yard. And then without me inviting her to look at the basement, while she was closest to the gate, she acted as if she was going to open the gate to make her way down the stairs. After getting downstairs, she peeked in all of the rooms which is fine but when the baby was sleeping and she pulled the door open as she said, "can I peek at where he sleeps"? I never walk past a persons front door unless I am invited. I felt as if she was pushy....pushing to check the entire home out without my invitation.
nannyde 01:41 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
You asked what I meant by "pushy"? After I let her in the front door, we visited a bit and then she slowly started walking into my kitched towards the back door, I'm sure to check out the back yard. And then without me inviting her to look at the basement, while she was closest to the gate, she acted as if she was going to open the gate to make her way down the stairs. After getting downstairs, she peeked in all of the rooms which is fine but when the baby was sleeping and she pulled the door open as she said, "can I peek at where he sleeps"? I never walk past a persons front door unless I am invited. I felt as if she was pushy....pushing to check the entire home out without my invitation.
Well first of all... live and learn friend. You know now... in your gut... that allowing her to do this was just wrong. It felt creepy and invasive because it was.

Now don't take this the wrong way... cause I'm saying this with a pure heart... I just want you to think about this:

My day care parents would FLIP out on me if I ever allowed a total stranger in my house like that when their kid was here. I have some who I think would quit that day over a security breach like that.

Just because this woman has had two kids and can pay for or access monies for child care ... it doesn't mean she's safe.

From now on... just tell them NO you don't do unnanounced visits. For the safety of you, your family, and your dck's you do XYZ for interviewing and on site tours.
Tags:unannounced visits
Reply Up