Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighborhood DayCare ( I am a registered user)
Unregistered 07:45 PM 02-07-2011
What do you do when their is another child care provider in the same allotment as you and tells parents that interview with her that they shouldn't interview with me? I was told this by a parent that interveiwed with me obviously. Some people...She doesn't even know me
Abigail 07:49 PM 02-07-2011
Ouch, I would call your licensor (yup, until now I've been saying "licensure" instead of "licensor" and no one corrected me! Thanks, LOL) and tell them this person is going about this the wrong way. Isn't that illegal or something? Talking bad behind someone's back is horrible and you said this person doesn't even know you. If you have any information from the interview you did who told you this, that person could be the proof. That's so sad though! I'm sorry to hear that! I wonder if this is something you could sue for even? You never know now days what people sue about.
nikia 03:12 AM 02-08-2011
Well I think sueing is a bit over the top. I think this other daycare feels like you are a threat to her and I would take it as a compliment lol. I understand why you are upset but I just don't think there is much to do its kind of high school to me. I would either contact the person directly or do nothing about it. I would be angry too and I'm sorry that she is doing it to you. Just know you must run a great daycare if someone feels that threatened by you to run their mouth to parents and in the end they look like the idiot for being so childish and talking behind another providers back. Did this parent tell you what her reason was for them to not interview with you?
Pammie 03:18 AM 02-08-2011
Wow - that's sad - but not surprising.

I think I would bake this provider a BIG plate of homemade cookies and take them over to her house and thank her for the referral:-) Even if the family doesn't sign with you - tell her that they did - and how much you appreciate her recommendation. Tell her that you'll return the favor when your roster is full and you get calls from prospective clients

I'm always amazed about how threatened some providers feel about other home daycares in their area! It's one the points that I make in my interviews that choosing a daycare is a very personal decision -both for the family and the provider- and I know what I offer isn't what everyone is looking for...and every family is not a good match for me/my program. If a family doesn't want to sign with me, I'm always more than happy to give out the numbers of other providers in my area. I would NEVER speak badly of another provider with a prospective client - personally I feel that makes me look terribly unprofessional.
Cat Herder 03:27 AM 02-08-2011
Send her a certified letter stating the words "slander" and "cease and desist" in any form. Make it look official.....

There are forms online....

Or......

Send her a dozen roses from "Tom" with a card that says "Thanks for last night, I will dream about it for years."

Or.....

Just let it go, obviously people see through the cattiness and it backfires on her.
Little People 03:28 AM 02-08-2011
Sorry to hear that she is doing this, but I would do what the above said. I would bake some cookies and go visit her. I would tell her that when you are full "if it is okay with her that you would give the parents her name and number". Now if you would or not another thing . I would some how slip in that you have had interviews with parents that have also been at her house. I would kill her with kindness! I would only make the visit about 15 minutes.
Little People 03:29 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Send her a certified letter stating the words "slander" and "cease and desist" in any form. Make it look official.....

Or......

Send her a dozen roses from "Tom" with a card that says "Thanks for last night, I will dream about it for years."

Or.....

Just let it go, obviously people see through the cattiness and it backfires on her.
I like this better than my post!!!
countrymom 05:31 AM 02-08-2011
jealousy, thats what it is. I wouldn't say anything, because it looks bad on her part not yours.
jen 07:04 AM 02-08-2011
I had a provider who lives across the street tell one of the grandparent of a dck that she "heard" I was closing...

I went over and gave her a big ole' talking too.

She wasn't licensed and is operating illegally...she's luck I didn't turn her butt in.

Seriously, tell her that she needs to knock if off and that if you get wind of it again, you will contact your attorney.
juliebug 07:27 AM 02-08-2011
that's offal but i am sure that looks really bad on her.

i have one that lives 1 block from me but she is full and sends people to me there are good ones out there.
lvt77 07:31 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Or......

Or.....

omg you are too funny... your jokes are much needed...at least for me they are....I have not even had my coffee yet and I am already in a good mood thanks to your jokes...
thank you
jojosmommy 09:38 AM 02-08-2011
Thats terrible but I am sure parents see right through it.

I actually have a provider who has been doing daycare 7 yrs longer than myself right across the street (literally our houses face each other). We just moved into the neighborhood when I started daycare and didn't know she did also. All summer long we have playdates, go to the park together etc. When I am closed if I attend a training I send my son to her house and she calls when there is a snow day if she wants to get her big kids out of the house for a bit. I think its awesome having someone so close. When one of us has a kid sick we tell our parents to call the other for back up daycare and that way they don't have to go too far to make it work for that day.

I always refer people to her and I get calls from people looking when she is full. I would try to talk to this lady because it can be helpful having someone so close.
MyAngels 10:10 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Wow - that's sad - but not surprising.

I think I would bake this provider a BIG plate of homemade cookies and take them over to her house and thank her for the referral:-) Even if the family doesn't sign with you - tell her that they did - and how much you appreciate her recommendation. Tell her that you'll return the favor when your roster is full and you get calls from prospective clients

I'm always amazed about how threatened some providers feel about other home daycares in their area! It's one the points that I make in my interviews that choosing a daycare is a very personal decision -both for the family and the provider- and I know what I offer isn't what everyone is looking for...and every family is not a good match for me/my program. If a family doesn't want to sign with me, I'm always more than happy to give out the numbers of other providers in my area. I would NEVER speak badly of another provider with a prospective client - personally I feel that makes me look terribly unprofessional.
This sounds good to me.
E Daycare 10:37 AM 02-08-2011
Thats horrible! You know, there is a home daycare right across the street from me and I never ever would think to be mean like that and want to offer to network with her. Even if she declines I respect that and would never slander her or talk bad. Shes my neighbor and I know she works hard for her business just like you and I. Ugh, some people.
tenderhearts 11:05 AM 02-08-2011
Wow that's really rude, but hopefully that would be a red flag to the potential client and they would see how that provider is being out of line by saying something like that and wouldn't take their child their. I sure wouldn't, that's just plain mean.
Here in my area up until a couple years ago until more craigslist, alot of daycares would hang signs and other daycare's would actually pull down other daycare signs, ruin them leaving them in the ditch and hang their sign, it was so obvious, or they would pull one down and hang theirs just really close on another pole, so it was again pretty obvious that daycares were doing this to each other. Some of mine were pulled down made me so mad and angry that peole would do that to someone else, I don't hang signs anymore but they aren't cheap.
Tags:provider competition
Reply Up