Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Family Daycare Provider Have To Live The House?
Unregistered 08:48 AM 06-13-2011
Hello,
I have a house in a good location. I have been running family daycare from there for seven years. I am licensed provider in Maryland. I want to keep this facility as family daycare, however I am moving to new house few miles away. Do I have to be living in the house to be licensed as Family Daycare provider? or can I just come to the house in the morning and leave in the evening.

Thanks,
Jenny
morgan24 09:10 AM 06-13-2011
You would have to check your state licensing rules. In MI you have to live in the home or else you are considered a center and the rules are different than they are for a family or group license.
sharlan 09:12 AM 06-13-2011
In CA you have to live in the home.
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I have a house in a good location. I have been running family daycare from there for seven years. I am licensed provider in Maryland. I want to keep this facility as family daycare, however I am moving to new house few miles away. Do I have to be living in the house to be licensed as Family Daycare provider? or can I just come to the house in the morning and leave in the evening.Thanks,
Jenny
I do exactly that. You should probably check with your state rules. Where I live, you do not have to live in the home but it must be a family style home and in a residential area to be considered family childcare.
Unregistered 10:24 AM 06-13-2011
Check with your local licensing agency as well as any FUTURE plans for changing this measure. This just came up in MN legislature and they would like to make it against the rules to own a seperate home and provide daycare from it. Currently MN has about 1000 providers who do this so I am not sure what would happen if you already were in that situation when the legislature made its ruling.
Unregistered 11:33 AM 06-13-2011
Reply from Jenny (original poster).
Thanks for replying everyong.

I have a follow up question. Why state won't allow provider to run family daycare from house where she does not live? I don't see any real issues with this setup. This way parent save money on childcare. If I convert it center they I will have to raise my rates and I will have to deal with many more requirements and handle staff related complications.

Thanks,
Jenny.
mrsking14 01:15 PM 06-13-2011
In TN, you have to live in the home as well according to DHS licensing regulations
SilverSabre25 01:16 PM 06-13-2011
eh, states have weird rules about a lot of things. Someone else might have a better answer, but it probably comes down to semantics ("Home Daycare" implies that the home is used for living and for daycare") or seemingly random legislation.
gkids09 01:19 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by mrsking14:
In TN, you have to live in the home as well according to DHS licensing regulations
I am in TN too, and I have a licensed group home daycare, but I don't live in it, and nobody has ever said anything about it?

I come in the mornings and leave in the evenings, and not once have I ever lived in the daycare house. Maybe it depends on the county?? Idk!
Unregistered 02:34 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I have a house in a good location. I have been running family daycare from there for seven years. I am licensed provider in Maryland. I want to keep this facility as family daycare, however I am moving to new house few miles away. Do I have to be living in the house to be licensed as Family Daycare provider? or can I just come to the house in the morning and leave in the evening.

Thanks,
Jenny
I use to be a licemsed provider in the state of Maryland and one of the things threw the courses I learned is YES you have to live in the home in order for it to be considered a HOME daycare if not you will have to have it licensed as a center.
newtodaycare22 11:07 AM 06-14-2011
I am in MD and, from my understanding through last year's training, they recently changed things (past 5- 10 years) so that you MUST live in your home. Sorry
Tags:provider - on premises, regulations
Reply Up