Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Calls Coming In :( & Issue With MIA Child This Week
rhondawarren 02:09 PM 04-04-2012
I had a full house of children. All of my spots were full. But I had two children that were from the same family, well I lost them due to a situation with their mothers schooling falling through. So I no longer had them.

Which was fine because I had four other children. I ended up letting two of them go that were brother and sister because they misbehaved, they tore my house apart, their parents would drop them off early and pick them up late. So many problems with the family. So I actually gave them a rate increase. The mother wasnt happy about the increase and said she just doesnt have the money to pay for an increase. So I lost them.

Which .... left me down to two children from two different families.
Well I thought no big deal ... I will just replace that family. One of the parents I had left asked if Id keep her other child as well last week for Spring Break, I quoted her a price, we both agreed and I watched her two kids. Well she paid me only part of the money so I sent her a message and told her that when she dropped them off Friday morning she needed to bring the money with her. So she did. But then this week her child has been "sick" all week. At first I thought okay ... maybe he's sick. But then she is almost ignoring my messages asking should I expect him each day. I almost think she got mad because I required her to give me the money she owed me before Id let her drop them off at the end of last week. So this week I only have the one DCK scheduled so far. She told me that her child may come Friday but she would let me know. So here I have saved a spot for him all week and I am not really sure what she thinks she will be paying if she does decide to bring him one day today because she is a full time person.

So ... I have a feeling that me making her pay rubbed her the wrong way and she may be trying to arrange other childcare. If so ... that will leave me with one DCK and he is only PT. So thats a big difference from the income I was making.

I have been posting ads daily on CL and getting very little calls from it other than spam. I really am not sure where I should start trying to promote in order to fill those spots but I would really like to get those spots filled soon. Any suggestions???

Also .... what would you all do about the one lady not bringing her son all week and she will "let me know" if she decides to bring him Friday ...
daycare 02:19 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
I had a full house of children. All of my spots were full. But I had two children that were from the same family, well I lost them due to a situation with their mothers schooling falling through. So I no longer had them.

Which was fine because I had four other children. I ended up letting two of them go that were brother and sister because they misbehaved, they tore my house apart, their parents would drop them off early and pick them up late. So many problems with the family. So I actually gave them a rate increase. The mother wasnt happy about the increase and said she just doesnt have the money to pay for an increase. So I lost them.

Well I thought no big deal ... I will just replace that family. One of the parents I had left asked if Id keep her other child as well last week for Spring Break, I quoted her a price, we both agreed and I watched her two kids. Well she paid me only part of the money so I sent her a message and told her that when she dropped them off Friday morning she needed to bring the money with her. So she did. But then this week her child has been "sick" all week. At first I thought okay ... maybe he's sick. But then she is almost ignoring my messages asking should I expect him each day. I almost think she got mad because I required her to give me the money she owed me before Id let her drop them off at the end of last week. So this week I only have the one DCK scheduled so far. She told me that her child may come Friday but she would let me know. So here I have saved a spot for him all week and I am not really sure what she thinks she will be paying if she does decide to bring him one day today because she is a full time person.

So ... I have a feeling that me making her pay rubbed her the wrong way and she may be trying to arrange other childcare. If so ... that will leave me with one DCK and he is only PT. So thats a big difference from the income I was making.

I have been posting ads daily on CL and getting very little calls from it other than spam. I really am not sure where I should start trying to promote in order to fill those spots but I would really like to get those spots filled soon. Any suggestions???

Also .... what would you all do about the one lady not bringing her son all week and she will "let me know" if she decides to bring him Friday ...
is the kid sick?
Mary Poppins 02:26 PM 04-04-2012
Yard signs strategically placed outside of subdivisions has gotten me the best kids so far. I target the type of people (sorry if that sounds snooty lol) by targeting housing tracts that I feel fit best with my overall program rather than just taking whoever calls from flyers or CL.

CL brought me lots of clients but 90% weren't worth the trouble.

I also exchange business cards with everyone, my current dcp's, now even my hairdresser, nail tech, massage therapist, dog groomer, etc. I keep their cards at my front entry.

I've been getting referrals from current dcps lately, which is nice, but none have panned out so far.
rhondawarren 02:28 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
is the kid sick?
He is scheduled to come Monday, Tuesday, Wed and Fri.
Well late Sunday night she texts and says he is running a fever. I said fine no problem just let me know. So Tue she says well he is getting better but she is still going to keep him out just incase. Well then I text Tue night to see if he would be here today and she at first didnt respond. So about an hour or two later I text again and said I really need to know if he is planning on being here tomorrow so I can plan my day. Well ... she finally texts back and says well ... I just put him on antibotics so Id like him to be on those atleast 24 hours before coming back. She says so ... he may come Friday but I wll let you know for sure (which is what she told me every single day is he may come tomorrow). So now I still dont know if he's coming Friday and probably wont until late Thursday sometime.

Im not sure if she thinks I am going to watch him for whatever she wishes to pay but my contract says she would need to pay for the whole week because Ive reserved that spot for him. So I dont know whats going on.
daycare 02:37 PM 04-04-2012
He is scheduled to come Monday, Tuesday, Wed and Fri.
Well late Sunday night she texts and says he is running a fever. I said fine no problem just let me know. So Tue she says well he is getting better but she is still going to keep him out just incase. Well then I text Tue night to see if he would be here today and she at first didnt respond. So about an hour or two later I text again and said I really need to know if he is planning on being here tomorrow so I can plan my day. Well ... she finally texts back and says well ... I just put him on antibotics so Id like him to be on those atleast 24 hours before coming back. She says so ... he may come Friday but I wll let you know for sure (which is what she told me every single day is he may come tomorrow). So now I still dont know if he's coming Friday and probably wont until late Thursday sometime.

Im not sure if she thinks I am going to watch him for whatever she wishes to pay but my contract says she would need to pay for the whole week because Ive reserved that spot for him. So I dont know whats going on.
just curious what your illness policy is?

I think this sounds normal to me. Every monday I send out a friendly email reminder that all payments are due on Friday. I also keep it posted by my sign log.

THis way, if a parent ever questions their payments, I have time to straighten it out.
MizzCheryl 02:42 PM 04-04-2012
When Numbers get low you can't help but worry. Sometimes we just worry too much. It will probably work out. Enjoy a few easy days and try to stay positive.
I always used to worry I would lose a kid if they are out a few days. Many times there is nothing to worry about.
In the late 90s early 2000s I got calls nealy everyday about daycare. We just don't get calls anymore. In the last few years I only get a call every few motns except summer and fall when schools starts back.
The economy is just slower for Daycare, at least around here it is.
rhondawarren 02:43 PM 04-04-2012
just curious what your illness policy is?

I think this sounds normal to me. Every monday I send out a friendly email reminder that all payments are due on Friday. I also keep it posted by my sign log.

THis way, if a parent ever questions their payments, I have time to straighten it out.
I have stated in my contract that if their child is out due to illness then they are to still pay their weekly payment because I have reserved a spot for them to be there for that week. I all week have been under the assumption that he will be here the very next day. Playing it by ear kind of thing.

My payments are due on Monday or the first morning that they come for care that week. She agreed the Sunday before she brought both of her children that she was bringing me enough to cover the payment for both children that Monday morning. But ... she only brought some of it and I didnt even get some of it until Tuesday. Which is not how its suppose to work She told me each day she was going to bring it tomorrow ... well you know the old saying tomorrow never comes I think that was true here too until I said ... You need to bring me the rest of this weeks money when you bring your kids. So she did.
rhondawarren 02:44 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Yard signs strategically placed outside of subdivisions has gotten me the best kids so far. I target the type of people (sorry if that sounds snooty lol) by targeting housing tracts that I feel fit best with my overall program rather than just taking whoever calls from flyers or CL.

I also exchange business cards with everyone, my current dcp's, now even my hairdresser, nail tech, massage therapist, dog groomer, etc. I keep their cards at my front entry.

I've been getting referrals from current dcps lately, which is nice, but none have panned out so far.

I just created some really cute business cards that I will be handing out and leaving everywhere

Im beginning to wonder about the trouble and CL too. That seems to be all I have gotten from there.
rhondawarren 02:49 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
When Numbers get low you can't help but worry. Sometimes we just worry too much. It will probably work out. Enjoy a few easy days and try to stay positive.
I always used to worry I would lose a kid if they are out a few days. Many times there is nothing to worry about.
In the late 90s early 2000s I got calls nealy everyday about daycare. We just don't get calls anymore. In the last few years I only get a call every few motns except summer and fall when schools starts back.
The economy is just slower for Daycare, at least around here it is.
I may just be worrying to much. I should just keep promoting and something will come up I hope!
daycare 02:52 PM 04-04-2012
I have stated in my contract that if their child is out due to illness then they are to still pay their weekly payment because I have reserved a spot for them to be there for that week. I all week have been under the assumption that he will be here the very next day. Playing it by ear kind of thing.

My payments are due on Monday or the first morning that they come for care that week. She agreed the Sunday before she brought both of her children that she was bringing me enough to cover the payment for both children that Monday morning. But ... she only brought some of it and I didnt even get some of it until Tuesday. Which is not how its suppose to work She told me each day she was going to bring it tomorrow ... well you know the old saying tomorrow never comes I think that was true here too until I said ... You need to bring me the rest of this weeks money when you bring your kids. So she did.
ok I am not trying to sound mean, as I used to do the same thing you are doing now..

STOP letting her get away with this stuff without consequence. YOu are letting her do it to you. RULES are RULES. what is your late fee?
The first day that payment is due and the parent does not hand me payment, I would be giving them a late fee slip. Basically a little sheet of paper that says your payments was due today and was not paid. Therefore, a late fee of $40.00 plus an additional fee of $10.00 is due for each day that your payment continues to be late. Your child CANNOT attend DC on MOnday, if all fees are not paid in full.

Just like kids, if there is no consequence, they will keep doing it and it will become expected. Put your foot down.
Mary Poppins 02:58 PM 04-04-2012
I just created some really cute business cards that I will be handing out and leaving everywhere

Im beginning to wonder about the trouble and CL too. That seems to be all I have gotten from there.
Yep, I realized recently that the people I've had the worst time with told me they saw my ad on CL. My best families are from the subdivisions I targeted specifically.

I read somewhere, here maybe? that we should tape our business cards to the inside of books and donate them to dr. and dentist offices. I keep meaning to do this! We have LOTS of pediatricians and kid's dentists in my area and I'm sure they would let me leave them a few free books.

Oriental trading company has tons for cheap that come in a dozen or two at a time:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=books
My3cents 02:59 PM 04-04-2012
Personally I wouldn't do business over texting. I would call her or talk to her face to face. She knows your policies, because during her interview you made them very clear. If she give you grief explain to her that you need to be dependable upon a steady income. Parents know the rules, they just like to push, break, bend, save, make a deal, wiggle out, wiggle in.........whatever... Do face to face, or phone and tell her. We are business operators, we pay taxes, we pay fee's, we have licenses to operate, we have to have so many hours of training to stay operating. No other business negotiates, or settles for less then they deserve. We as a community of providers should not either.

Sounds like your on the right track. Best-
My3cents 03:01 PM 04-04-2012
forgot to say to you......... her kid was sick but you were still there and open if her child was well. She is paying for a service and you were there to service her.
Don't feel guilty even when they try to make you feel that way-
Mary Poppins 03:02 PM 04-04-2012
ok I am not trying to sound mean, as I used to do the same thing you are doing now..

STOP letting her get away with this stuff without consequence. YOu are letting her do it to you. RULES are RULES. what is your late fee?
The first day that payment is due and the parent does not hand me payment, I would be giving them a late fee slip. Basically a little sheet of paper that says your payments was due today and was not paid. Therefore, a late fee of $40.00 plus an additional fee of $10.00 is due for each day that your payment continues to be late. Your child CANNOT attend DC on MOnday, if all fees are not paid in full.

Just like kids, if there is no consequence, they will keep doing it and it will become expected. Put your foot down.

I took this exact advice here awhile back so I can honestly say SHE IS SPOT ON!

I also require payment by the end of Friday, not drop off Monday. I found Monday mornings were too crazy and it was easier for dcps to forget to bring a check and it was awkward at the door. So payments due friday with an invoice sent out Monday and a reminder on Wed from me. And a steep late fee that I have only enforced a couple times. My late fee is now a three strikes you're out thing, too and gets more expensive with each time they are late.

Works like a charm!

Also: I now use the online payment thing from MMK and that helped cut down on late payments a lot too! People want an easy way to pay and it doesn't get easier than a couple mouse clicks.
rhondawarren 03:12 PM 04-04-2012

Yes I agree ... I should have done just that. It was like the nicer I was the more she is going to try. I am going to have to start following my own policies and rules without being so nice.
daycare 03:33 PM 04-04-2012
Yes I agree ... I should have done just that. It was like the nicer I was the more she is going to try. I am going to have to start following my own policies and rules without being so nice.
lol...sweetie I think when we all started out we did that....We were afraid to lose a parent and child and the money.

It will get easier I promise. The more you put your foot down, the easier it gets. I have gotten really good at it lately and have been soooo much happier with my families and business. It's all about how you approach it and your wording...
rhondawarren 03:40 PM 04-04-2012

I took this exact advice here awhile back so I can honestly say SHE IS SPOT ON!

I also require payment by the end of Friday, not drop off Monday. I found Monday mornings were too crazy and it was easier for dcps to forget to bring a check and it was awkward at the door. So payments due friday with an invoice sent out Monday and a reminder on Wed from me. And a steep late fee that I have only enforced a couple times. My late fee is now a three strikes you're out thing, too and gets more expensive with each time they are late.

Works like a charm!

Also: I now use the online payment thing from MMK and that helped cut down on late payments a lot too! People want an easy way to pay and it doesn't get easier than a couple mouse clicks.
I am using the MMK temp version trying it out. I havent had much time to play with it but I did see that payment option and wondered if I should use that too .... Hmmm something to think about offering.
rhondawarren 03:41 PM 04-04-2012
lol...sweetie I think when we all started out we did that....We were afraid to lose a parent and child and the money.

It will get easier I promise. The more you put your foot down, the easier it gets. I have gotten really good at it lately and have been soooo much happier with my families and business. It's all about how you approach it and your wording...
Thanks so much! I really enjoy being a childcare provider. But I sure wish I could find some good families to work with and get in a routine The one pt dck has been with me for a year now. So hopefully I can find more like them!
daycare 03:49 PM 04-04-2012
Thanks so much! I really enjoy being a childcare provider. But I sure wish I could find some good families to work with and get in a routine The one pt dck has been with me for a year now. So hopefully I can find more like them!
it does get easier, because you get better at interviewing and you know what you want after a few mistakes. I don't know too many people who go it right the very first time.

I tell the parents that I really wish that I could just focus on the kids and teaching, but there is no one else to run the other necessary departments in my company. LIke accounting,and management, so I have to be the one to do it all.....

I think once they realize that I mean business, they get it and don't try to push me.....
rhondawarren 03:53 PM 04-04-2012
it does get easier, because you get better at interviewing and you know what you want after a few mistakes. I don't know too many people who go it right the very first time.

I tell the parents that I really wish that I could just focus on the kids and teaching, but there is no one else to run the other necessary departments in my company. LIke accounting,and management, so I have to be the one to do it all.....

I think once they realize that I mean business, they get it and don't try to push me.....
Thats a good one

I think she got my point the day I told her nicely to make sure that when she gets ready to drop her kids off she has the rest of the payment that she owes me. But ......... not sure if I ticked her off and she's sitter hunting or what lol.

Either way Im fine because her son is an infant and he is VERY demanding. I actually changed my policy on watching infants after I agreed to watch him. So after him I was accepting no more infants. THey must be 2 yrs or older. So if she does go elsewhere .... then I will just stick to my 2 years and up so I will be happy. I want to focus on fun things to do with the kids when I have an infant that needs tons of attention the others kind of feel the blunt of that and arent able to do as much. So .... it will work out either way

Just income wise ...... its gonna ............. suck!!!
cheerfuldom 03:54 PM 04-04-2012
signs in the neighborhood and CL have been the best for me because I am not allowed to do door to door flyers in my neighborhood.
daycare 03:55 PM 04-04-2012
Thats a good one

I think she got my point the day I told her nicely to make sure that when she gets ready to drop her kids off she has the rest of the payment that she owes me. But ......... not sure if I ticked her off and she's sitter hunting or what lol.

Either way Im fine because her son is an infant and he is VERY demanding. I actually changed my policy on watching infants after I agreed to watch him. So after him I was accepting no more infants. THey must be 2 yrs or older. So if she does go elsewhere .... then I will just stick to my 2 years and up so I will be happy. I want to focus on fun things to do with the kids when I have an infant that needs tons of attention the others kind of feel the blunt of that and arent able to do as much. So .... it will work out either way

Just income wise ...... its gonna ............. suck!!!
I am right there with you....infant= too much stress for me....

I only accept ages 20 months and up... I have a lot of families that have their kids enrolled here and their younger kids else where.... I feel bad, but not really, because it's their choice.....
Christian Mother 04:26 PM 04-04-2012
You learn as you go...I still except payment on Mond. mornings at drop off. Sometimes they forget that morning and have to run home first to pick up the ck at pick up. I only have one family who pays me every other week and pays me for 2 wks plus late fee.

I think you have it set pretty nice that you get paid whether the children are in attendance or not doesn't matter if sick or not. I only get paid if the children are in care. If I am sick and call in then I don't get paid. Bc of this I never call in sick. I hardly ever take a day unless it works out that it's a holiday and all have it off. Things I'll be changing when I move my daycare. You live and learn. You have it in your contract that they are to pay regardless if the child is sick. Don't worry....take the free days for your self and don't keep calling. I go on about my biz and if a parent neglects to let me know what there schedule is and I only have them that day they find out pretty quickly that I won't be home. We make our selves available at every opportunity let her know this if she complains about paying when he's been out sick. You where there for her and not the other way around. That is why you set your rules the way you do bc you can loose out on income regardless of illnesses. It is just the way it is.
Sprouts 04:54 PM 04-04-2012
Maybe having all of the families leave is a good thing, because now u can add whatever you want to your policies with out that uncomfortable feeling of telling the parents you have changed something.

As for payments, one suggestion would be that they are due by friday to pay for the following week. Some parents that are forgetful may forget to bring it or in a rush so it gets put last in importance, that used to be me, i know, shame shame, but thats why i require it Friday so the next week is no worries!, if theyre late they pay a late fee per day...

below is my "STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING" i go over each sentence when i sign up a child and make sure they understand....
hope this helps

Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

____I have read the parent Handbook and agree to everything in it.

I understand that a one-week deposit is due at the time of registration. The one-week deposit will pay for the last week my child/children are in the program. The deposit is non-refundable unless parent or X decides to withdrawal during 2 week (10 day) trial period.(If the deposit is to hold a child’s spot for more then 2 weeks it is not refundable)

___Payments are due by the Friday before the tuition week starts. I understand that I am responsible for delivering the payment on or before 12:00pm Friday before tuition week.

___Late payment will result in disruption of my child/children’s participation in addition to a late fee of $10/day.

___X late pick up charge of $5 for first 10 minutes, then $1/minute/child is in the center past scheduled pick up time, and will be added to the following weeks payment.

___Children attending the center at days or times other than what they are signed up for will be billed at the regular daily drop-in rate.

__Tuition rates are established for the new program year in December and go into effect on January 1st of the new program year.

___I understand that missed days due to illness, weather, vacation/holidays (outside of those allocated by Sprouting Learner’s) and any other circumstances will not be refunded and I am responsible for tuition.

___X is closed on the following Federal holidays (New Year’s Day, Presidents Day, Memorial day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day) Tuition is still due for these holidays. The center may close early on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. If a holiday falls on the weekend, it will be observed the preceding day or the following day. http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_...edhol/2011.asp MARK THESE ON YOUR CALENDAR.

___Each family is allocated 3-weeks vacation time per year (1-week between Christmas and New Years for the center’s winter break, 1-week during July for the center’s summer break, 1-week to be used by the family at their convenience) and I am responsible for tuition if my family goes above the designated vacation time; these vacation times must be used 1-consecutive week at a time. Full time families receive 5 days, part time families receive 2/3 days.

___I understand in case of Medical Emergency, I will be called. If circumstances require, the Rescue Squad will be notified. X will respond as necessary until the Squad arrives. In the event hospitalization is required, I give consent for my child to be taken to a hospital. I give my consent for treatment by a qualified physician. I agree to assume financial responsibility for such treatment.

___I understand that there may be a situation that requires my child to be transported. (Emergency/safety issue)

___I have read the X documents and agree to abide by all rules and regulations stated. I have completed my child's paperwork and all information is current.

Parent Signature ___________________________________________ Date _______

Parent Signature _______________________________________(Optional) Date ________

rhondawarren 05:45 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Maybe having all of the families leave is a good thing, because now u can add whatever you want to your policies with out that uncomfortable feeling of telling the parents you have changed something.

As for payments, one suggestion would be that they are due by friday to pay for the following week. Some parents that are forgetful may forget to bring it or in a rush so it gets put last in importance, that used to be me, i know, shame shame, but thats why i require it Friday so the next week is no worries!, if theyre late they pay a late fee per day...

below is my "STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING" i go over each sentence when i sign up a child and make sure they understand....
hope this helps

Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

____I have read the parent Handbook and agree to everything in it.

I understand that a one-week deposit is due at the time of registration. The one-week deposit will pay for the last week my child/children are in the program. The deposit is non-refundable unless parent or X decides to withdrawal during 2 week (10 day) trial period.(If the deposit is to hold a child’s spot for more then 2 weeks it is not refundable)

___Payments are due by the Friday before the tuition week starts. I understand that I am responsible for delivering the payment on or before 12:00pm Friday before tuition week.

___Late payment will result in disruption of my child/children’s participation in addition to a late fee of $10/day.

___X late pick up charge of $5 for first 10 minutes, then $1/minute/child is in the center past scheduled pick up time, and will be added to the following weeks payment.

___Children attending the center at days or times other than what they are signed up for will be billed at the regular daily drop-in rate.

__Tuition rates are established for the new program year in December and go into effect on January 1st of the new program year.

___I understand that missed days due to illness, weather, vacation/holidays (outside of those allocated by Sprouting Learner’s) and any other circumstances will not be refunded and I am responsible for tuition.

___X is closed on the following Federal holidays (New Year’s Day, Presidents Day, Memorial day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day) Tuition is still due for these holidays. The center may close early on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. If a holiday falls on the weekend, it will be observed the preceding day or the following day. http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_...edhol/2011.asp MARK THESE ON YOUR CALENDAR.

___Each family is allocated 3-weeks vacation time per year (1-week between Christmas and New Years for the center’s winter break, 1-week during July for the center’s summer break, 1-week to be used by the family at their convenience) and I am responsible for tuition if my family goes above the designated vacation time; these vacation times must be used 1-consecutive week at a time. Full time families receive 5 days, part time families receive 2/3 days.

___I understand in case of Medical Emergency, I will be called. If circumstances require, the Rescue Squad will be notified. X will respond as necessary until the Squad arrives. In the event hospitalization is required, I give consent for my child to be taken to a hospital. I give my consent for treatment by a qualified physician. I agree to assume financial responsibility for such treatment.

___I understand that there may be a situation that requires my child to be transported. (Emergency/safety issue)

___I have read the X documents and agree to abide by all rules and regulations stated. I have completed my child's paperwork and all information is current.

Parent Signature ___________________________________________ Date _______

Parent Signature _______________________________________(Optional) Date ________

Thank you I agree maybe it would be a good time to put things the way I want them and promote some good areas to find some good long term families. Ive made my business cards and am ready to share them as soon as they arrive! I also made me a tee I can wear out

I think what you have written is great! Especially having them initial after reading each one! That could come in handy later when you have to say ... see you were aware of this I think I may add something like this to my contract too! Thanks so much for sharing!!
countrymom 07:23 AM 04-05-2012

this is what I do, I haven't advertised on line in years.
MOMOF3BOYZ 07:52 AM 04-05-2012

if she's gonna act like that i would just ---t can her! teach her a lesson. and dont worry you will get some new clients soon! you just have to be patient
rhondawarren 08:04 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MOMOF3BOYZ:
if she's gonna act like that i would just ---t can her! teach her a lesson. and dont worry you will get some new clients soon! you just have to be patient
We will see how she responds today. I have a feeling that she is going to think that if he does come tomorrow she should only pay for the one day even though we originally agreed I was holding his spot so she pays by the week. But ... so far I havent even heard from her. I have a feeling she was ticked and she knows I just let that other family go the week before last so I really think she believes I need the money to bad to say no because of that.
wdmmom 10:24 AM 04-05-2012
Is she calling you each morning to tell you that he isn't coming for the day?

2 days no call no show is grounds for cancellation based on my policies.
My3cents 10:34 AM 04-05-2012
I too do a statement of understanding form that they must check off and sign. This is a great form to have your parents sign above and beyond your contract, because it lays it all out. Mine is longer and goes over everything that is important to me.

rhondawarren 10:35 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Actually I've had to text her each evening to see if he'd coming. Each day she says we will have to see about tomorrow. Then I hear nothing so I text. Tuesday she didn't respond to my first text an hour later I text again she finally responded and told me sorry she hadn't text back she's been busy and that she just out him on antiboric so she wants him to b on Itt a day before bringing him. She said she will just let me know something about Friday. So far .... I've heard nothing since Tuesday.
rhondawarren 10:39 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

That's very smart
rhondawarren 11:18 AM 04-05-2012
[/quote] 2 days no call no show is grounds for cancellation based on my policies.[/quote]

I should definately add this into my contract!
CheekyChick 11:23 AM 04-05-2012
Most of my parents pay on the first of the month for the entire month. One little boy didn't show for almost three weeks in March, but it was fine because I was already paid. He showed up on Monday and mom had a check in hand for April. My advice is to ALWAYS have parents pay on the first (for the month) OR every Friday (for the upcoming week) if they pay weekly. It will take a lot of your worry away.

Regarding saying, "I'll let you know." Sadly, there is nothing you can do if she decides to pull him. That is petty that she would get mad at YOU for requiring payment.

If you send me your CL ad, I'd be happy to look at it and see if there is something we could do to spice it up a bit.
rhondawarren 11:28 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Most of my parents pay on the first of the month for the entire month. One little boy didn't show for almost three weeks in March, but it was fine because I was already paid. He showed up on Monday and mom had a check in hand for April. My advice is to ALWAYS have parents pay on the first (for the month) OR every Friday (for the upcoming week) if they pay weekly. It will take a lot of your worry away.

Regarding saying, "I'll let you know." Sadly, there is nothing you can do if she decides to pull him. That is petty that she would get mad at YOU for requiring payment.

If you send me your CL ad, I'd be happy to look at and see if there is something we could do to spice it up a bit.

Mine pay weekly but they now pay on the first day that they attend care for the week. But i am thinking paying the Friday before might be a good idea.

I just text her to see if he will be attending my care tomorrow and so far .... no text back. I guess I do not understand that because honestly ... Id never do that to someone I was going to have watch my kids. I guess some people really dont care that you have set aside time for their child.

As for the CL ad I will send it to you and see what you think ....
rhondawarren 11:37 AM 04-05-2012
Pretty annoying ...

I just text her to see if she would be bringing her little boy tomorrow morning because he is normally scheduled for tomorrow morning.

She finally replied with:

" I think his mamaw and papaw is keeping the kids for me. I believe but if not I will let you know if they actually do. Im sorry something is always coming up. I let you know something definately this evening. Sorry again!! "

She really isnt making much since this week. The only thing I can figure is A.) She doesnt want to pay for childcare and is trying to find family to watch him for free or B.) It ticked her off that I made her pay her payment before I would allow her to bring the kids the last day of last week

I guess we will see what excuse she can come up with this evening. Really annoying!
MOMOF3BOYZ 01:24 PM 04-05-2012
O.k. ladies, i have a question for you all. I have a dcp who does not call me by 8:30 in the morning ( which i have all told them to do if dck is not coming) to let me know if her dck is coming, or if she's keeping them home with dad. well the reason im kind of confused but very happy at the same time is because in my contract payment is due on mondays every week.So she pays me on tuesday for the week, but her kids only come on tues- fri,thats what her contract is for tues - fri. Well the dck showed up on tues,but missed wed,and today. So im not upset about dck not coming bcause that means im going to have an easy day. what annoys me is that i needed to run an errand that was really important,and im stuck waiting for her and i dont want to leave, in case they show up, so what should i do?
rhondawarren 07:31 AM 04-06-2012
Well ... I thought Id drop by with an update this morning on my MIA family for childcare.

After me texting the DCK mom at almost 3pm yesterday and her telling me that her kids may or may not being to their grandparents today but she would definately let me know something in the evening.

I sat around and didnt hear anything so at almost 8pm I text her and told her that I really need to know for sure if her son would be in my care tomorrow. Well 30 minutes later she responds with "Yeah they just called to pick him up. Sorry".

So .... the "sick" child did not attend all week. She has been very vague all week and at first I didnt think anything of it, if he was sick then he's sick. But .... after the first couple of days its been one excuse after another.

My fiance says that I am being to hard on her that maybe she didnt have the money to pay for childcare this week. But to me thats not my problem. I saved her a spot and she even told me on Friday that she would have no problem paying me next week and it wouldnt be late like the week before. So I said ok. But then they dont even show up for childcare.

My point is that I do not want her thinking it is okay to just have him come the weeks she feels like it and then other weeks she has him come to me when its absolutely necessary. I really believe she felt since I let that other family go two weeks ago that I need the money to bad to say anything to her about it. But to be honest with you ... I feel like completely dropping her.
Then work on finding some good families to care for.
MrsB 09:25 AM 04-06-2012
Well ... I thought Id drop by with an update this morning on my MIA family for childcare.

After me texting the DCK mom at almost 3pm yesterday and her telling me that her kids may or may not being to their grandparents today but she would definately let me know something in the evening.

I sat around and didnt hear anything so at almost 8pm I text her and told her that I really need to know for sure if her son would be in my care tomorrow. Well 30 minutes later she responds with "Yeah they just called to pick him up. Sorry".

So .... the "sick" child did not attend all week. She has been very vague all week and at first I didnt think anything of it, if he was sick then he's sick. But .... after the first couple of days its been one excuse after another.

My fiance says that I am being to hard on her that maybe she didnt have the money to pay for childcare this week. But to me thats not my problem. I saved her a spot and she even told me on Friday that she would have no problem paying me next week and it wouldnt be late like the week before. So I said ok. But then they dont even show up for childcare.

My point is that I do not want her thinking it is okay to just have him come the weeks she feels like it and then other weeks she has him come to me when its absolutely necessary. I really believe she felt since I let that other family go two weeks ago that I need the money to bad to say anything to her about it. But to be honest with you ... I feel like completely dropping her.
Then work on finding some good families to care for.
I totally get your frustration and would be frustrated at the lack of communication going on whith this DCM. I know payment is an issue, and is one of my biggest pet peeves of mine too. However, as long as I get paid, I dont really care if the kids are here or not, I wish more parents would only bring their kids to me when it was absolutely necessary. (As long as I still get paid of course But unfortunately when we offer a service where a client has to pay regardless of attendance having the child even when its not necessary is the nature of the beast. I can't have it both ways.

As for the sick ones on Monday, I usually give my parents a one day leeway for payment.

So my text wouldl look something like this.

Monday -
Mom- Johnny is sick wont be there today.
Me - okay hope he feels better soon. well payment is due today but this one time you can bring tomorrow so you dont have to make an extra trip today but I need it at drop off tomorrow or 11am if Johnny isnt feeling well enough to attend.
Tuesday -
Me - How's Johnny feeling, is he coming? If not what time will you be stopping by to bring the check? Late fees start at 11am. Please call if you would like to discuss.

Like I said, I totally get the frustration and think its totally disrespectful and rude for parents to not call and or pay. But on the other hand, I dont know of a business out there that bills people that doesnt have a collection department. Collecting unpaid fees is just a part of business. See you can add that to your resume!

On an added note, if you are using MMK, why dont you require your parents to pay using MMKs bill payment? If I have a parent who is late with payments 3 or more times. Then I put them on a payment probation. Either I need a months worth of post dated checks in advance, they have to set up auto payments with MMK, or they have to give me a full months deposit (I usually only require one week) in addition to paying the first of every month in cash for the whole month. One slip up and they get termed immediately. I have a long waiting list and let them know I love their children and hope they can work through the tough time, but I have lots of parents waiting to get their opportunity to pay on time.

Hope it gets better for you!
rhondawarren 10:48 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I totally get your frustration and would be frustrated at the lack of communication going on whith this DCM. I know payment is an issue, and is one of my biggest pet peeves of mine too. However, as long as I get paid, I dont really care if the kids are here or not, I wish more parents would only bring their kids to me when it was absolutely necessary. (As long as I still get paid of course But unfortunately when we offer a service where a client has to pay regardless of attendance having the child even when its not necessary is the nature of the beast. I can't have it both ways.

As for the sick ones on Monday, I usually give my parents a one day leeway for payment.

So my text wouldl look something like this.

Monday -
Mom- Johnny is sick wont be there today.
Me - okay hope he feels better soon. well payment is due today but this one time you can bring tomorrow so you dont have to make an extra trip today but I need it at drop off tomorrow or 11am if Johnny isnt feeling well enough to attend.
Tuesday -
Me - How's Johnny feeling, is he coming? If not what time will you be stopping by to bring the check? Late fees start at 11am. Please call if you would like to discuss.

Like I said, I totally get the frustration and think its totally disrespectful and rude for parents to not call and or pay. But on the other hand, I dont know of a business out there that bills people that doesnt have a collection department. Collecting unpaid fees is just a part of business. See you can add that to your resume!

On an added note, if you are using MMK, why dont you require your parents to pay using MMKs bill payment? If I have a parent who is late with payments 3 or more times. Then I put them on a payment probation. Either I need a months worth of post dated checks in advance, they have to set up auto payments with MMK, or they have to give me a full months deposit (I usually only require one week) in addition to paying the first of every month in cash for the whole month. One slip up and they get termed immediately. I have a long waiting list and let them know I love their children and hope they can work through the tough time, but I have lots of parents waiting to get their opportunity to pay on time.

Hope it gets better for you!
I have written in my contract that they agree that they are to pay for their child's spot whether or not their child is there simply because I have reserved an entire spot for their child. But .... she hasnt even mentianed that and I honestly believe she thinks keeping him home is keeping her from having to pay which to me is unfair to me for her to pick and choose when I get paid. So If I do continue watching him .... it will not be for long.
rhondawarren 02:00 PM 04-09-2012
Just another update ...

Well, she had her parents watch the little boy on Friday since he had been out all week.

So Sunday I wrote her a text wishing them a Happy Easter and that I hoped the little boy felt better. Then I asked if he would be attending childcare tomorrow. She didnt text me back so about 4 hours later I text her again and said When you get a moment can you let me know if I should expect him because I am trying to plan my week out. Still nothing for another four hours. At 8:30p at night she finally texts telling me she wouldnt have the money until Friday if I would be willing to watch them and her just pay me on Friday she would appreciate it.

So I replied: I need the money for childcare the morning your child is dropped off which is when it is due.

Simply because I get a huge feeling that I was about to not get paid. So it looks like I wont be watching him anymore (I saw that one coming). So ... now I have a few spots to replace!
Reply Up