Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program - Question??
rhondawarren 10:01 AM 04-14-2014
Does anyone know if you have to be licensed to be on the Food Program?
My3cents 10:15 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
yes you do-
rhondawarren 10:17 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
yes you do-
I thought you did. Someone told me you could be registered unlicensed and be on a smaller version of the food program but I thought you had to be licensed. So thought I would check it out.
Cradle2crayons 10:17 AM 04-14-2014
No you don't. If you are legally unlicensed you can contact a food program sponsor and they get it all started.

I'm legally unlicensed but if an get in the food program. If I wanted to. Just call the food program people and ask them for a list of sponsors for your area.
rhondawarren 10:19 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
No you don't. If you are legally unlicensed you can contact a food program sponsor and they get it all started.

I'm legally unlicensed but if an get in the food program. If I wanted to. Just call the food program people and ask them for a list of sponsors for your area.
Really? I wonder who I would contact? What is the actual name of the food program?
Cradle2crayons 10:24 AM 04-14-2014
Really? I wonder who I would contact? What is the actual name of the food program?
http://www.doe.in.gov/nutrition/chil...e-food-program
rhondawarren 10:27 AM 04-14-2014
http://www.doe.in.gov/nutrition/chil...e-food-program

Thank you so much!!
Cradle2crayons 11:11 AM 04-14-2014
Thank you so much!!
Have I hope the info you are needing is there
LadyPearl 04:17 PM 04-14-2014
Really? You don't have to be registered? The whole point of me beginning the registration process was to access the food program! I haven't completed the process yet so I will definitely look into the food program as an unlicensed provider!
Cradle2crayons 04:46 PM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
Really? You don't have to be registered? The whole point of me beginning the registration process was to access the food program! I haven't completed the process yet so I will definitely look into the food program as an unlicensed provider!
You need to call and ask for the numbers for the sponsors for legally unlicensed daycare homes. That's what I did. I'm not on the program by choice but it was accessible to me and I'm legally unlicensed.
itlw8 06:51 PM 04-14-2014
I depends on the state In MO you do not have to be licensed to provide care for children on subsidy. But you are paid less and you still have to get a background check that includes fingerprints. IF you are getting paid for children on subsidy you may then get the food program for those children AND yours if you are low income.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
Indiana CACFP rules state:

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
• A licensed day care home provider or certified legally licensed exempt provider who has entered into an agreement with a sponsoring organization. (NOTE: A sponsoring organization has a current contract with the IDOE to administer the CACFP in family day care home settings.)
• A family day care home may be sponsored by one of the following types of institutions:
o Public Entity—a municipal, county, state, or federal government agency
o Nonprofit Institution—a federally tax-exempt institution, per section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, as determined by the US Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service
• A family day care home must be licensed or license-exempt as determined by the Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA), Bureau of Child Care (BCC). Legally Licensed Exempt Providers may participate if they have been certified to receive CCDF funding.

Each state has different requirements based off the requirements of licensing.

In my state (MN) you cannot participate in the food program unless licensed because we don't have an option to be legally unlicensed and still care for more than one child.
TwinKristi 07:58 AM 04-15-2014
Not in CA. You can be license-exempt (only watching one non-related family's child/ren) and get the FP as long as you have your Trustline certification.
rhondawarren 10:51 AM 04-15-2014
You need to call and ask for the numbers for the sponsors for legally unlicensed daycare homes. That's what I did. I'm not on the program by choice but it was accessible to me and I'm legally unlicensed.

What is "legally unlicensed"?
rhondawarren 10:52 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Not in CA. You can be license-exempt (only watching one non-related family's child/ren) and get the FP as long as you have your Trustline certification.
What is a trustline certificate?
Cradle2crayons 10:54 AM 04-15-2014
What is "legally unlicensed"?
It means, if your state allows, you are keeping less than he amount of children to get licensed.

In my case, I keep five and I'm not licensed. But I'm not illegal because I keep under my states limit and my state allows it.

Some states don't allow it,

Here, you can be legally unlicensed but you have to sign up with a. Sponsoring agency.
rhondawarren 11:05 AM 04-15-2014
It means, if your state allows, you are keeping less than he amount of children to get licensed.

In my case, I keep five and I'm not licensed. But I'm not illegal because I keep under my states limit and my state allows it.

Some states don't allow it,

Here, you can be legally unlicensed but you have to sign up with a. Sponsoring agency.
Oh okay. I would never run an illegal one. My state allows 5 unrelated children so I am also running a legal in home day care. I am checking on the food program too. I have a lady that is suppose to check on some things and email me back.
butterfly 11:17 AM 04-15-2014
Our sponsoring agency - only one available for my rural area, does not allow non state registered daycares to participate.
Cradle2crayons 11:17 AM 04-15-2014
Oh okay. I would never run an illegal one. My state allows 5 unrelated children so I am also running a legal in home day care. I am checking on the food program too. I have a lady that is suppose to check on some things and email me back.
Same limit for me I met with a sponsor but I didn't sign up because they only allow me to watch five TOTAL counting my two... But the state allows me to watch five not related not counting my two.. So according to them, I'm over my limit and they won't allow me to not count my two.. So I said see yaaaaaa lol
rhondawarren 11:21 AM 04-15-2014
Same limit for me I met with a sponsor but I didn't sign up because they only allow me to watch five TOTAL counting my two... But the state allows me to watch five not related not counting my two.. So according to them, I'm over my limit and they won't allow me to not count my two.. So I said see yaaaaaa lol
Yeah I wouldnt do it either if they changed your limit because I have five daycare spots and three kids of my own and am pregnant with #4. So no thanks if thats the case either.
Cradle2crayons 11:24 AM 04-15-2014
Yeah I wouldnt do it either if they changed your limit because I have five daycare spots and three kids of my own and am pregnant with #4. So no thanks if thats the case either.
Apparently it's a discrepancy between the state and the sponsoring agency...and not something I was going to get fixed... They were also not allowing my tube fed dcg to be not signed up.. Even though I can't provide her formula because it's prescription...
butterfly 11:32 AM 04-15-2014
Apparently it's a discrepancy between the state and the sponsoring agency...and not something I was going to get fixed... They were also not allowing my tube fed dcg to be not signed up.. Even though I can't provide her formula because it's prescription...
You don't have to provide every formula the parent/child is using. You only have to offer one brand. I offer generic. The parents have the option to decline what I offer and bring their own.
Cradle2crayons 11:38 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
You don't have to provide every formula the parent/child is using. You only have to offer one brand. I offer generic. The parents have the option to decline what I offer and bring their own.
The sponsor lady said the mom HAD to sign up the kids... And the mom didn't want to. Be forced to do anything. This sponsor agency had their own wierd rules.
butterfly 11:54 AM 04-15-2014
The sponsor lady said the mom HAD to sign up the kids... And the mom didn't want to. Be forced to do anything. This sponsor agency had their own wierd rules.
They can sign up but still reject the formula you provide, but I understand.
Cradle2crayons 12:02 PM 04-15-2014
They can sign up but still reject the formula you provide, but I understand.
Why should they sign up and then reject... That would mean I won't get reimbursed for her anyway.. So why make them sign up at all??

Makes no sense to me.
butterfly 12:06 PM 04-15-2014
Why should they sign up and then reject... That would mean I won't get reimbursed for her anyway.. So why make them sign up at all??

Makes no sense to me.
Yes, you would because they will still pay you to feed them, but the parent would provide the formula. It's just like breastmilk. You don't supply it but you are feeding the child so you get paid.
Cradle2crayons 12:11 PM 04-15-2014
Yes, you would because they will still pay you to feed them, but the parent would provide the formula. It's just like breastmilk. You don't supply it but you are feeding the child so you get paid.
True. If it hadn't been for the fact they only allow me to have three daycare kids instead of the five I do have... It would have worked it fine. So now I just take the irs deduction.

But I'm pretty sure I asked the lady if I got paid on the tube fed girl and she said no because I don't make it or administer it... It goes through a pump... But she may have been confused because she didn't have a clue about tube fed kids.
Reply Up