Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crib Depth - Nannyde
DCMomOf3 04:45 PM 02-22-2011
You seem to be good and estimating crib depth. Do you think this one meets the 26 inch requirements discussed the other day? They are not cheap.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...tschangers.jsp
nannyde 05:02 PM 02-22-2011
Can you link me to the 26 inch regulation?

Here's my guess by just looking at the pic and the dimension:

This looks like to me that it is

Measures 39 1/8"w which I think is left to right in the picture. The width meaning side to side left to right.

x 26 1/4"d which would be width front to back

x 40"h. which would be the floor to the top of the arched railing on the side.

So it doesn't give you the one measurement you really need which is the top of the mattress to the lowest point on the top crib railing. That's the actual depth of the crib and the MOST IMPORTANT dimesion. The rest is fluff and nutter.

Finding a 26 inch deep crib that is that deep on the INSIDE of the crib is going to be tough.

This looks like it is probably closer to 21-22 inches deep because the length of the legs would be around six inches, the height of the wheels would be a couple of inches, the depth of the floor board plus mattress would be another four inches, and then the headboard to the crib railing is probably another six to eight. So about eighteen to twenty inches of the 40 inches in height would be subtracted from the total height... making the depth inside about 20-22 inches.

See what I mean?

I don't know why crib manufacturers don't give the INSIDE dimension.

I'm also concerned about the rise from the top crib railing and the "headboard". I think my State says that it has to be less than an inch. This looks like maybe eight or so inches.

The reason you don't want an elevation on the head board is that kids use it as a post to grab onto to pull their body up and over the rail. That shoulder gives them something to wrap their arms around and hike up one leg over the rail. Once they get one leg up they can pull the rest of their body up and over. No headboard rise is best... meaning the entire top perimeter is the same height like the Jmasons: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/J_Ma...ay_Yard_SS5110

Best to call them and ask speciically the INSIDE depth from the top of the mattress to the lowest point on the railing AND check your regs to see if you can have a rise on the headboard.

Sorry I can't be more help. It's very hard to interpret dimensions because everyones height, depth, and width are their own idea of what height, depth, and width are. They can claim any view of the rectangle as depth and width and include the whole outside of the crib as height when the depth on the INSIDE is the REALLY important measurement when it comes to safety. If it's shallow on the inside then it won't work. Even if it's wide enough and tall enough or deep enough ... if the inside is too shallow it makes the crib a no go for me. All the extra wood is just for show... the BUSINESS part to me is the depth because that tells you how young the kid can fly out of it. The headboard thingy is important too because it tells you if there will be a built in post to help the kid pull themselves up and over it.
DCMomOf3 05:15 PM 02-22-2011
Well, MN regs say 26 inches. Here is the link to the discussion with links to various regs.

I am trying to find any crib that meets the depth of 26 inches. I agree with you that they should always state top of mattress to top of railing measurements. It's a bit frustrating when you can't find it.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764
nannyde 05:29 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Well, MN regs say 26 inches. Here is the link to the discussion with links to various regs.

I am trying to find any crib that meets the depth of 26 inches. I agree with you that they should always state top of mattress to top of railing measurements. It's a bit frustrating when you can't find it.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764
I don't know of any crib made with that depth.

I don't like cribs anyway cuz I don't like the slats. The space between the slats allows them to have poles to monkey up and space to get their legs and arms caught in.

I like my jmasons They are PERECT with every important dimesnsion being met. They are sligtly off the floor so the total height is only 26.5 inches tall so if they do fall out it's a short distance. They are WIDE, long, and deep.

I wish they still made them. I can't imagine any state picking a crib design that beats them. They can be used for WAY older kids too and they are very easy to set up. I've never had a moments problem with them.
DCMomOf3 05:32 PM 02-22-2011
can you still find jmasons anywhere?
nannyde 05:42 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
can you still find jmasons anywhere?
Not that I know of. I got super lucky and found a new 2001 version one new in box on ebay. I was for months but it was a freak find.
DCMomOf3 06:08 PM 02-22-2011
have you heard of Joovy rooms? You are right I can't find any jmasons, not right now, but I found a Joovy Room2

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joovy-Room-2-Pla...ht_1127wt_1139
Missani 06:38 PM 02-22-2011
Here is the wording for the MN requirements:
No heights of the rail and end panel are less than 26 inches when measured from the top of the rail or panel in the highest position to the top of the mattress support in its lowest position.

Therefore, you do [b]not[b] need the crib to be 26 inches deep with the mattress, it just has to be at least 26 inches to the mattress support without the mattress.

I have the Sniglar cribs from Ikea. They were about $100 and are 26.75 inches deep without the mattress. They meet all requirements in MN.
Missani 06:43 PM 02-22-2011
I tried to edit my response but was unable to post my edited material. Anyway, according to the rule, mesh sided pack and plays/play yards are not acceptable for sleeping newborns and infants. I know people have reported that their licensor states that they are okay, my licensor is very adament that mesh sides are NOT okay. It might be worth looking into before making any major purchaes.
Cat Herder 12:30 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
I tried to edit my response but was unable to post my edited material. Anyway, according to the rule, mesh sided pack and plays/play yards are not acceptable for sleeping newborns and infants. I know people have reported that their licensor states that they are okay, my licensor is very adament that mesh sides are NOT okay. It might be worth looking into before making any major purchaes.
Is this just your state or everywhere....

I have to get a plan in motion if that is the case....

My regulator said she was unsure and would get back to me, then she quit. I am happy for her and her family, though...she deserves more time with them...

I am trying to stay off the new lady's radar since she is going to be overwhelmed learning her new job....
Tags:crib, nannyde
Reply Up