Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Older dcks are doing well as long as they all attend
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 07-14-2016
I have 3 dcks, ages, 7, 8, and 9. They do okay as long as they're all here. They have their moments but mostly ok. However, there are days and a couple weeks where it'll just be 1 or 2 here and I know what it will be like. That constant 'nothing to do', dragging heir feet and moping around as if their entire world revolved around their friend/s.
Any suggestions?
I will try to get them involved more with helping or entertaining the little ones but how engaged they'll want to be can be zero to very little at times.
childcaremom 03:23 AM 07-14-2016
Maybe not the answer you want.... but I let my own just figure it out.

It may take a while and a lot of complaining but they will find something to do. Boredom is a gift that I give my children daily.

Alternatively, you could have a little jar with written prompts inside. They can 'pick one' and do it.

If too much complaining happens: "You can find something to do or I can find you something to do." I have a LOT of chores that I need help with.
Play Care 03:48 AM 07-14-2016
I like the "bored" jar idea.
On the days I knew I'd only have one, I'd probably relax some of my electronic rules - maybe even allowing an afternoon movie.
Josiegirl 04:14 AM 07-14-2016
They have electronics time in the afternoon anyways, as long as they've earned it throughout the a.m. And I do have a 'bored jar'. I might have to whip that out today. Thanks for the reminder; we haven't had to use it since spring break and that's because they were so curious as to what was in there.
Reply Up