Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>13 Month Old Eating/Drinking Issues
Unregistered 07:08 AM 07-21-2016
I have a 13 month old DCG who will not try to eat any table foods. When I place any food on her tray, she does not try to pick it up to put in her mouth. She just pounds on the tray until the food is on the floor. She will only eat if I use my magic bullet to make her food the consistency of baby food. If I do leave any chunks of food in there, she will spit them out. She does have teeth, so that's not an issue. Her parents have tried as well with no success. She also will not drink milk or water or anything throughout the day, for that matter. Only drinks a bottle of formula before bed. (about 4 oz) This is the only fluids she gets in a day. She is a big girl for her age, around 25 pounds. Still worried about dehydration though because she does not drink a thing during her ten hours here. Any ideas on how to get her to try table foods?
Leigh 08:21 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 13 month old DCG who will not try to eat any table foods. When I place any food on her tray, she does not try to pick it up to put in her mouth. She just pounds on the tray until the food is on the floor. She will only eat if I use my magic bullet to make her food the consistency of baby food. If I do leave any chunks of food in there, she will spit them out. She does have teeth, so that's not an issue. Her parents have tried as well with no success. She also will not drink milk or water or anything throughout the day, for that matter. Only drinks a bottle of formula before bed. (about 4 oz) This is the only fluids she gets in a day. She is a big girl for her age, around 25 pounds. Still worried about dehydration though because she does not drink a thing during her ten hours here. Any ideas on how to get her to try table foods?
I'd be considering feeding therapy.
finsup 09:01 AM 07-21-2016
If you put a peice in her mouth first, would she maybe try it after that? That's what im doing with a 10m dcb. He seems confused (just starting table foods) so first I put a peice to my mouth and eat it (very enthusiastic about it lol), then I feed him a peice. Then he will "get it" and try it himself. He hates his bottle, and his bm in a cup so I mix his milk with baby food/oatmeal or applesauce. I'm pushing the cup, and parents are doing all they can too but for right now, he needs the milk so it's what works. In the future, ill have him spoon feed it himself. Maybe encourage this kiddo to spoon feed herself a mix of milk and baby food so she's getting the milk but developing some Independence with food too?
daycarediva 10:04 AM 07-21-2016
She's obviously not starving herself.

Is she having wet diapers? She probably gets just enough liquid from purees. The lack of drinking would still bother me though, are the parents giving juice by chance? I have a DCG here, she's been here since 18m and will be 5 and has NEVER drank milk or water. She will ONLY drink juice (which is a very rare treat here)

I would be recommending a consult with an OT.
adnilwis 11:27 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a dcg who will be 2 at the end of August and she was exactly like this at that age. She'd only eat purees and if it had any kind of chunk in it she'd gag and spit it out. If I put a tiny chunk in her mouth she'd gag. They did take her to a speech therapist and she wasn't any help. The therapist had her parents bring in foods she ate and foods she didn't eat. The therapist decided she was normal and ate the right amount for her age when for me my other two kids her age clearly ate more and ate better than her. Still today she is finicky but has gotten better. Hopefully your dcg will outgrow it.
Reply Up