Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>thoughts on this one
Magic 04:42 PM 06-23-2015
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vi...ylistPageNum=1
Thriftylady 04:58 PM 06-23-2015
I think it is a rule that is really normal in this country. I have been to Sweden where there are nude beaches, where people choose to be covered or not. But here we don't do that.

I wouldn't want my girl going topless at that age, just because I fear the freaks out there that do bad things to children. As an adult, people more understand the risks. As far as it being about equality, well there isn't that kind of gender equality here in the US. Should there be? Who knows. I wouldn't do it but until the rules of our society change no one can.
KiddieCahoots 05:46 PM 06-23-2015
I don't know many 3rd graders around here that are willing to strip down and subject themselves to peer ridicule just for a dip in the pool, but maybe that's just the area I live in
Heidi 06:03 PM 06-23-2015
My sister ran around without a shirt until she was 11 or so. Then, well...

I'm going to go with "well, if that's the rule, then you can follow it or go elsewhere". The administration had already addressed, and it was a posted rule , so that's it.

As BC pointed out in many-a-thread, if you don't like a regulation or law, do something to change them. It's not always easy or probable, but there are avenues for that. If not, then follow them. It's not that complicated, IMO.

While I think the sexualization of an 8 year old is ridiculous (and being from Germany, topless is fairly normal for all ages, male or female, at the pool/beach), it's not a civil right to be nude or semi-nude. She's not being discriminated against; it's stupid maybe, but I say get over it.
NoMoreJuice! 06:31 PM 06-23-2015
I'd like to make the issue more about how the parents feel the rules shouldn't apply to their family.
MarinaVanessa 06:49 PM 06-23-2015
I'm sorry but at 8 years old I think it's inappropriate for a little girl to be in public without a shirt. If anything the splash pad employee is trying to keep the little girl from being sexualized not the other way around. I wouldn't want my 8 year old son to be at a splash pad without a bottom.

She's 8, not 3.

I don't think that anyone over the age of 6 should be allowed to be in a gym locker room full of naked or half dressed men and women and I don't think it's appropriate for any child over the age of 6 to be in public naked or half dressed. There are a lot of creeps out there, keep them safe.

JMPO
DaveA 04:32 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I'd like to make the issue more about how the parents feel the rules shouldn't apply to their family.
That was my first thought. I made it through about 10 seconds of the Dad before I wanted to tell him to get a grip. It's a rule for a public pool. If you want to try to change it, be my guest. Don't run to the news crew and whine. Teach your child that rules actually do apply to you.

All I could think of listening to the parents was an old comedy sketch by Dennis Leary about him writing a self help book called "Shut the #@% Up!" Course I'm grouchy this morning and not in the mood to suffer fools kindly.
Stephnrich 07:55 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Exactly. If there weren't any actual rules, and this was a case of a manager singling them out, maybe it'd be different. But there was a specific rule. Follow them or leave.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My sister ran around without a shirt until she was 11 or so. Then, well...

I'm going to go with "well, if that's the rule, then you can follow it or go elsewhere". The administration had already addressed, and it was a posted rule , so that's it.

As BC pointed out in many-a-thread, if you don't like a regulation or law, do something to change them. It's not always easy or probable, but there are avenues for that. If not, then follow them. It's not that complicated, IMO.

While I think the sexualization of an 8 year old is ridiculous (and being from Germany, topless is fairly normal for all ages, male or female, at the pool/beach), it's not a civil right to be nude or semi-nude. She's not being discriminated against; it's stupid maybe, but I say get over it.
Its so simple that I think it's complicated for many people...

I also tend to think that stories like these aren't at all about the issues stated but are more about gaining ATTENTION.
Heidi 11:40 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Its so simple that I think it's complicated for many people...

I also tend to think that stories like these aren't at all about the issues stated but are more about gaining ATTENTION.
yep!

It seems like we are in a society at the moment where everyone has to be passionate or indignant about something. If they don't have real "cause", they have to make one up. Needless drama for attention....

Disclaimer....my 18 year old and 25 year old are no better, so I'm not singling these fine folks out. It's a plague, I tell you!
Magic 12:01 PM 06-24-2015
I first saw on the all mighty face book and well the comments where pretty crazy
I had posted one too of course and it was about safty and photos
some one that replied to mine compaired it to feet...being sexualized and she is not giong to cover her feet ...
Reply Up