Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA Kids for the Summer
TXhomedaycare 07:54 AM 02-01-2017
My son is 6 and will be finishing his first year of school and will be off for the summer in June. I have a 3 yo dcg who has a sibling that is 6 and will be out for the summer also and I was considering filling an opening I will have with her but I have never accepted school aged kids. Summer is usually slow since teachers are out but I usually only take 18 months to 4 years and from reading other posts on this forum SA kids sound like something I might not want to get into. I have also had siblings before and that has also been a mess even though I now have tips and would handle that differently. I will have a lite schedule for my son over the summer but I don't make him stay in the daycare room with the younger kids and if his dad is home I let him hang with him so he wont be much of a play mate for the 6 yo dcg but since her sister goes here I am hoping she would be fine but I dont have any big kid activities besides we go to the park a few times a week and do splash days and art. Please let me know what you would suggest.
CityGarden 08:33 AM 02-01-2017
Some providers LOVE infants many on here do not. Some providers LOVE preschool age and don't mind curriculum others may not like that age or don't like the academic pressure from parents for preschoolers. Some LOVE school age others not so much. You have to find your stride and what works best for you.

I personally find having different age groups more challenging since their needs are different. I understand providers who just do all infants or only 3-5 or only SA.

The providers I know who love SA have a lot of activities. There is a SA child care across the street from my dd's sewing lesson and they go on group bike rides, play basketball, jump rope contest, go on tons of field trips (community pool daily, beach a couple times a month) ---- this is just what I can tell from observations on the outside of their business. SA is an active bunch - fun because they can engage and do more but the trick would be to keep them busy. I would not take just one SA.
Play Care 08:58 AM 02-01-2017
I did SA for a few years.
The only way I would do SA again is if I didn't have any non SA kids.
As the pp pointed out, they need to be kept busy busy busy, which I found to be impossible in a mixed age situation.
Also, expectations for SA care is much different than younger kids. While most parents don't want LO's on the car, field trips with SA are more encouraged (and honestly, necessary!)
We have a top notch SA camp in our area, and having seen (and used) their program, there is no way I, a single provider, can replicate it.
TXhomedaycare 11:25 AM 02-01-2017
Thanks for the feedback! I am not going to accept her. I was trying to convince myself that it would work but I don't do field trips and I have recently just got to the point that I am enjoying my group and the parents and kids and getting everything done before the kids leave so I will leave things as is. I tend to not stay in my lane or do what is best for me when people need help but sometimes it's not good for me or the kid and I think she would enjoy care elsewhere with kids her age doing better activities and I would not feel the need to jump through hoops to keep her happy.
Ariana 11:35 AM 02-01-2017
I find the summer is not nearly as long as you think it is and with vacations it gets broken up pretty well. I know you have already decided but thought I would chime in anyway.

What gets me through is themes. I do a specific theme every single week and then come up with a ton of activities to do based on that theme. Last year it was only 9 weeks so 9 different themes I had to plan and implement. The activities were geared for the SA kids but could easily done by the younger ones too. Science, cooking/baking, camping, water fun etc. The list is endless.

I personally like SA kids because they want activities which makes my day go by so much faster. On days I want a break I just set up a dramatic play area for them or put on a movie. One day we made pirate hats, I downloaded some pirate music and they played pirate the whole day!
Sumshine 07:58 PM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
My son is 6 and will be finishing his first year of school and will be off for the summer in June. I have a 3 yo dcg who has a sibling that is 6 and will be out for the summer also and I was considering filling an opening I will have with her but I have never accepted school aged kids. Summer is usually slow since teachers are out but I usually only take 18 months to 4 years and from reading other posts on this forum SA kids sound like something I might not want to get into. I have also had siblings before and that has also been a mess even though I now have tips and would handle that differently. I will have a lite schedule for my son over the summer but I don't make him stay in the daycare room with the younger kids and if his dad is home I let him hang with him so he wont be much of a play mate for the 6 yo dcg but since her sister goes here I am hoping she would be fine but I dont have any big kid activities besides we go to the park a few times a week and do splash days and art. Please let me know what you would suggest.
I just ended care with my SA due to a lot of circumstances other than her just being a SA but I knew I wouldn't make it through summer and I was dreading spring break!

It's just not for me. I have no problem taking my 7 yo brother here or there when my mom needs help but having only 1 SA stinks! Especially if you are very active with the younger kiddos!

I would adapt things to include the SA when school was out and I would even buy her individual more complex crafts to help keep her occupied but she was still always bored. She didn't touch my toys and I have a variety of toys for ages infat-10 years old. I was spending my whole time with her present telling her "hold on Hunny we are doing preschool, feeding the baby, changing diapers, etc" and asking her to please find something to do to occupy herself if I didn't have something specific laid out for her already (which that didn't help either she was bored no matter what)

Ultimately my program just isn't for SA and im okay with it. I will only take until 5 years of age from now on. I am happy to have a bunch of Littles who play with toys, engage in my silly crafts and activities, and don't want to just lounge around complaining if they aren't allowed to watch TV all day

It's ultimately a personal decision and it depends on what your daycare is like but for me having just 1 SA and a bunch of littles for the span of 2 months makes me never want to do it again lol!
MsLisa 09:39 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I find the summer is not nearly as long as you think it is and with vacations it gets broken up pretty well. I know you have already decided but thought I would chime in anyway.

What gets me through is themes. I do a specific theme every single week and then come up with a ton of activities to do based on that theme. Last year it was only 9 weeks so 9 different themes I had to plan and implement. The activities were geared for the SA kids but could easily done by the younger ones too. Science, cooking/baking, camping, water fun etc. The list is endless.

I personally like SA kids because they want activities which makes my day go by so much faster. On days I want a break I just set up a dramatic play area for them or put on a movie. One day we made pirate hats, I downloaded some pirate music and they played pirate the whole day!
I did the same exact thing with my SA'ers when I was at the YMCA. Every week had a theme, one craft to decorate our door, coloring sheets and a big craft or 2 that usually spans the week. Plus the room was full of open play toys, a computer and the Wii so they often paired up and played independently. An hour before pick-up, I popped in a movie, passed out snack, and everyone settled in until their parents came. If you can't tell, I prefer the SA kids as well.
daycarediva 10:25 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I did SA for a few years.
The only way I would do SA again is if I didn't have any non SA kids.
As the pp pointed out, they need to be kept busy busy busy, which I found to be impossible in a mixed age situation.
Also, expectations for SA care is much different than younger kids. While most parents don't want LO's on the car, field trips with SA are more encouraged (and honestly, necessary!)
We have a top notch SA camp in our area, and having seen (and used) their program, there is no way I, a single provider, can replicate it.
exactly.
Reply Up