Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 yo's Worst Day Yet
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 10-16-2014
She was unbelievable yesterday. Screaming during quiet time so I separated her, she screamed louder. She spit on someone else's cot while we were setting up for quiet time. She bossed everybody, pushed kids, etc., etc.; frankly I'm not sure why anyone wants to play with her. But then she denies every single thing. Even before I ask what happened she's denying it so I know she did it.
I cannot imagine what these parents are going to encounter when she hits her teenage years. Just glad I won't have to worry about it.
Trouble is I love this little girl and want to help her become a little girl everyone wants to be with. Every child deserves this. And I keep thinking I'm just not doing it right, getting through to her I mean.
I know a lot of it is for attention and she's a big screen viewer. She knows more shows than I've ever heard of. Both her and her brother go to sleep to tv. I find it so sad that their short little lives are so filled up with screen time. I know parents are busy but please please please don't just send them to another room to watch tv or kindle.
How do you get through to a child like this?
She's the type who has 85% of the toys then complains cause everyone has more than her. She yells the instant things don't go right, I mean really yells. She's sneaky about stuff by doing things when she knows my head is turned for a second and tries to instigate everybody else into following her. I found someone had written on my bathroom sink with ink and still have no clue whatsoever, found no pen, no evidence of anything. Course it was vehemently denied by everyone. When she gets timed out she'll kick and scream and holler.
Like I said yesterday was particularly challenging. I always just hope the next day is a better one.
Second Home 05:51 AM 10-16-2014
I had one who went through the screaming , spitting , kicking when she did not get her way . It is hard to have to see and listen to everyday .
Luckily my dcp were trying to stop her behavior but being bounced between grandparents , parents and me there was not enough consistency for her.

I finally decided to let her scream all she wanted since no amount of reasoning would help .
I would put down a blanket in my foyer out of sight of the playroom and told her she can scream , yell all she wants but she would do it out there where the other kids did not have to see her . It was tough but she eventually learned that I did not give any attention at all when she went to her blanket . If she got off I would walk over put her back and walk away , never saying a word . If she screamed my name I did not answer . When she was calm she would be able to rejoin the group .

She did eventually stop the screaming but it took a few months to eliminate the behavior all together .
Reply Up