Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NYS Info About Lice For Providers..
daycarediva 10:40 AM 10-17-2014
says NOT TO EXCLUDE AT ALL. Sorry, EW!!!! WHAT!?

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/childcare/le...FINAL%20v3.pdf

First paragraph of page 2.

I have a no lice, no nits policy. I also have quite long hair that would be a nightmare to treat.
Unregistered 10:48 AM 10-17-2014
No way to how! lice and nits are not allowed in my daycare and my state is also the same they say not to exclude. My business my rules I exclude! schools don't even check kids any more or send them home unless they have uncontrollable itching. back in my day they checked and sent you home but now my state says it's no longer considered a health hazard DHS was getting to many calls about head lice so they decided to allow kids with lice in schools and daycares.
Play Care 10:49 AM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I have a no lice, no nits policy. I also have quite long hair that would be a nightmare to treat.
I have the same policy and will NOT rconsider

Even if the child isn't rubbing heads or sharing clothing items with other kids, they are sitting on my couches, laying on my carpets, etc. and while I realize lice can't live long without a host, they would,probably hang out long enough on couches or carpets to spread it
Annalee 10:52 AM 10-17-2014

I got lice from a little girl at church once and my hair is below my waist so it took 3 treatments and I used vinegar/water mix to get the nits to slide out....my mom and niece would sit outside with me in the sunlight to help me....I cried because I became so frustrated....this was several years ago and the child is now a teenager but I do AVOID her...
daycarediva 11:00 AM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have the same policy and will NOT rconsider

Even if the child isn't rubbing heads or sharing clothing items with other kids, they are sitting on my couches, laying on my carpets, etc. and while I realize lice can't live long without a host, they would,probably hang out long enough on couches or carpets to spread it
YUP!

Plus, my kiddos hug each other, lay next to each other on the circle rug, use the throw pillows, etc. I do keep THEIR bedding separate (new reg and all ) but I can't keep THEM separate.

Analee what a fiasco! My hair is almost to my waist, dd's is VERY thick and mid back length. It would be very time consuming and expensive to treat us alone. Not to mention the daycare area, my other children (boys-short hair) and everyones bedding.
Sunshine74 11:03 AM 10-17-2014
I like the "you may wish to reconsider [your exclusion policy]". Thanks, no. I do not wish to reconsider.
DaveA 11:05 AM 10-17-2014

No way. I have a no nit no lice policy and that isn't changing anytime soon. Save us from "experts".
KidGrind 11:08 AM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I got lice from a little girl at church once and my hair is below my waist so it took 3 treatments and I used vinegar/water mix to get the nits to slide out....my mom and niece would sit outside with me in the sunlight to help me....I cried because I became so frustrated....this was several years ago and the child is now a teenager but I do AVOID her...

Not at your frustration but at you still avoid her.
Annalee 11:10 AM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Not at your frustration but at you still avoid her.
I even give her the evil eye sometimes.....
nannyde 11:25 AM 10-17-2014
It's just a recommendation. Just say no.
Controlled Chaos 11:35 AM 10-17-2014
no!!!!

I was the one who had a kid with reoccurring lice last month...I am still exhausted from checking my three kids' hair every night, plus mine...it took 2 hours and then all the cleaning!

The people making these rules would never allow lice in their homes
Unregistered 11:40 AM 10-17-2014

Ew. As to 'sharing' lice - no thanks

On that document, what IS an exit interview? (Maybe that section is self-explanatory if it's your state?) When you leave child care they interview you? When a family leaves? What the heck?
Play Care 12:12 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's just a recommendation. Just say no.
For now, but how long until it becomes a reg that we must not send home a child with lice?!
SignMeUp 12:17 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
no!!!!

I was the one who had a kid with reoccurring lice last month...I am still exhausted from checking my three kids' hair every night, plus mine...it took 2 hours and then all the cleaning!

The people making these rules would never allow lice in their homes

Thriftylady 12:19 PM 10-17-2014
I heard banter a few years ago about not excluding from schools for it anymore because it is more an annoyance than a health issue. Not in my house, my hair is to long for that.
Cradle2crayons 12:51 PM 10-17-2014
I exclude.

Th schools here do weekly checks and they exclude also. They also require parents to provide PROOF of treatment. They won't allow the child back until the school nurse does a head check and it's clear.
Reply Up