Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Payments
jgcp 12:16 PM 10-21-2014
So the last 3 weeks or so ive had dcp that dont bring their payment Mon morn and because Im to nice and do understand that it happens, Im now being taken advantage of and let it go to long and dont know how to bring it up without sounding like a B or desperate KWIM?? I dont have anything in my contract that says anything about late payment ( my fault i just figured ppl got it) SOOO how do i address this now?? I thought about just typing up a quick addition to my contract, have them sign it, or just write it on the white board as a reminder? Its just gotten out of hand. These parents act like they are the only ones with crazy, hectic lives. What if i forgot to change a diaper or feed a kid" oh sorry ill just change it tomorrow" as im rushing them out the door ( opposed to in the door) or " oh SHOOT, i totally forgot the food at the store, sorry, is it ok if i just get some tomorrow??) grrr
hope 12:29 PM 10-21-2014
If you are uncomfortable asking, try handing them a typed up reminder Friday at pick up. "Reminder: Payment due Monday morning. Late charges there after"
NeedaVaca 12:53 PM 10-21-2014
You had a post a few weeks ago and you said not one of your families paid you on Monday morning. You are being taken advantage of because you are allowing it to happen. Put your foot down, type something up for all of the families stating when you expect payment and what will happen if they don't bring the payment when it's due. Late fees, no pay no stay...then enforce it!
melilley 12:57 PM 10-21-2014
I have one family who did this to me often and I let it happen. After a while, I got sick of it and said something. It won't change unless you confront them about it. It's hard, but has to be done.
If you don't want to say it face to face, I agree, I would type something up and have them sign it. Actually, I would do this even if you do talk to them face to face, just so you do have it in your handbook and they have to abide by it.
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 10-21-2014
Memo to ALL families in care:

Providing child care services is my job.

I fully expect to be paid for this job on time EVERY time.

Failure to pay in a timely manner WILL result in late fees AND loss of services.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Like NeedaVaca said, this is happening because you are allowing it to happen. Stop allowing it. I know stopping something is harder than simply not allowing it in the first place so it IS going to take a bit of firmness on your part to change this but if you do it now and do it with a nice mixture of firmness and friendliness, it CAN be done.

If a parent questions you, just repeat that child care is YOUR job. It is how you feed your family and pay your bills. If they want to continue using your services then payment ON TIME EVERY TIME is a requirement and NOT a suggestion.

After informing them YOU have to enforce it.
AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 10-21-2014
Ditto what everyone else said.

I require payment Thursday for the following week's care. That way if they forget Thursday they can bring it Friday and I've still got it beforehand.
KatiesCorner 12:57 PM 10-23-2014
PaymentDue.pdf

I use this sign, I just put it up on my door every Monday. ( I have them pay Monday for their upcoming week.) I made it on Microsoft word in like 10 minutes. Now the good parents that do honestly just forget have a nice reminder, and the parents that just don't wanna deal with it have a reminder of my late fee
Any one is welcome to use it, or I could tell you how i did it if you want one with different clip art/border.

ETA: I've still had a couple late payments, but they always added the late fee without any additional reminder. I don't mind the extra $ every so often!
Attached:
CraftyMom 01:49 PM 10-23-2014
I hated confronting about payments. I only had to do it twice, but that was enough. Now I use epay through minute menu. Invoices are sent every week, so there's no reason to forget. Also if I don't receive payment by the end of Friday I just add in the late fee to their invoice. Most have set up auto pay so it isn't even an issue. Twice in the last year since I've started using epay I've had to add in late fees. They don't even question it, they just pay the late fee. It's right there in front of them, so they can't even argue. Right in the invoice is a reminder of my late fee, so they see it every week (assuming they read it, but it's there). I love epay! I love that there is no exchange of money or reminding them to pay, it's great! Also no need to give receipts, the have access to that.
TwinKristi 01:57 PM 10-23-2014
I ddnt have anything in my contract about late payments either and decided I would just add it. I added $10 per calendar day that their payment is late and not received by the close of business (5:30) on their due date. Everyone pays on diff days but all in advance. If I don't get a payment from Family A on Friday at pickup I hate to ask but I do. I started doing invoices but it's a HUGE pita and I wish I wouldn't have ever done it. A post it note seems to be just as effective. I send home an invoice on Mon-Tues when it's due Fri and a week before on those who pay monthly. I don't even bother with one mom, she doesn't even look at it.

I had one DCD who always tried to put me off til Monday or a whole week and stuff and that's why I finally did the late fee. He paid late twice after that and I charged him both times. One other family paid late but ended up paying online Sat AM so I waived the fee as a one time thing and made sure to tell her that. I had to create a lot of policies after that family! LOL
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I ddnt have anything in my contract about late payments either and decided I would just add it. I added $10 per calendar day that their payment is late and not received by the close of business (5:30) on their due date. Everyone pays on diff days but all in advance. If I don't get a payment from Family A on Friday at pickup I hate to ask but I do. I started doing invoices but it's a HUGE pita and I wish I wouldn't have ever done it. A post it note seems to be just as effective. I send home an invoice on Mon-Tues when it's due Fri and a week before on those who pay monthly. I don't even bother with one mom, she doesn't even look at it.

I had one DCD who always tried to put me off til Monday or a whole week and stuff and that's why I finally did the late fee. He paid late twice after that and I charged him both times. One other family paid late but ended up paying online Sat AM so I waived the fee as a one time thing and made sure to tell her that. I had to create a lot of policies after that family! LOL

A suggestion if I may... I have the words "per calendar day" included as well but if ANY of your parents try to pay you on Friday evening or on-line over the weekend, they may try to get out of the late fees so I make sure to tell them the late fees accrue until the money is ACTUALLY AVAILABLE to me...kwim?

Paying on-line on a Saturday evening would not necessarily count as a payment made if the money doesn't post until the next business day.

Unless you don't mind...just thought I would point out the loophole though so you didn't have to deal if a parent finds it too.

Also, I give parents ONE late fee waive. THEY get to choose when to use it.
TwinKristi 02:55 PM 10-23-2014
I only accept PayPal as my online payment method and an e-check would be the only way it could take longer. But they'd have to ask me to do so and I make sure to tell them NOT to send it as e-check. But good idea for other online payment methods.
finsup 07:12 AM 10-24-2014
I had payment issues before. Most of the time I'm "too nice" and let people get away with way too much. But it finally got to me and I just said "no more." I changed my payment plan to parents pay on the first day of care for the week. Basically, your week starts Monday, you will pay your weekly rate at drop off that morning or you will be taking your child home (or to the ATM with you). They are not accepted back into care until that payment is made.

The way I see it is, you wouldn't be allowed to "forget" your rent for a couple days, or any other bill for that matter. Childcare is no different. They need to pay you if they want to work and make money. They realize that pretty quickly when they have to take an unexpected day off because they forgot to pay you. It may sound harsh but well, I just got REALLY tired of being taken advantage of.
Crazy8 07:40 AM 10-24-2014
You are going to have to just speak up and put a stop to it. Like others said, they are doing it because you let them. And I know, I do that with some things too, I hate speaking up on stuff that shouldn't be an issue!

I would post a reminder to ALL families. Send one home, hang one on your bulletin board/sign in sheet area, put it on your facebook page or every other way you may communicate with parents. I would even state that this has become an issue and that you have been lax in charging the late fees but effective immediately they will be charged if payment is not received on time. And then you NEED to follow up and make sure. If after sending out the reminder a parent doesn't have payment in their hand on Monday morning (if that's when its due) you need to send parent and child down to the local bank and only allow them back with payment in hand. On a few occassions I have told a parent its a good thing there is an ATM right down the street. Don't care if they have to pay an extra fee to get the money, they should have had it in the first place! Put your foot down and stand tall on this one!!!
jgcp 09:28 AM 10-28-2014
Thanks for all the advise. Yes it was my fault for letting it happen I was kicking myself believe me! But i finally got a backbone and handed out the contract and policy updates today also put a update that if you are bringing child day to day fee is charged as drop in and will be $35 a full day and $25 part day. This will hopefully stop them from doing this and they will let me know and pay on mon included updates for sickness too. There was a dcm that didnt bring dcb today tho ( usually here and she only paid for yesterday) she text me asking if she could bring him and pay later. I text back NO i am no longer letting late/ partail payments happen. All she text back was ok. It felt good to just say no
Tags:flyers, late payment, late payments - flyer, payment - due
Reply Up