Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strangers
Unregistered 12:32 PM 10-22-2014
I have a child who is almost 2 he screams at the top of his lungs and clings to me if the food program lady comes or if the state lady anyone he doesn't know comes here he freaks out. Any suggestions for me on how to handle this? I've mentioned it to his parents they said they know and that's it. I need help with this I can't stand his high pitched scream.
Heidi 12:35 PM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a child who is almost 2 he screams at the top of his lungs and clings to me if the food program lady comes or if the state lady anyone he doesn't know comes here he freaks out. Any suggestions for me on how to handle this? I've mentioned it to his parents they said they know and that's it. I need help with this I can't stand his high pitched scream.
I wonder how he is in the grocery store? A restaurant? When GMA comes over? Other DCP's?
Kabob 12:38 PM 10-22-2014
I had a couple children do that at around that age. Best thing was to have the other person avoid looking at them and pretend they weren't there. I would remove them from the area or put them as out of sight of that person as possible and offer a lovey and a hug with "you're safe. You're okay." And then let them be with reassurance here and there. The quicker the person went about their business without trying to win the dck over, the quicker they realized that they weren't so scary.

ETA: One dck was scared of all men except dcd and dh for a couple of months. Dcm would come in with a screaming dcg if dcg so much as saw a man look at her that morning. She eventually outgrew it and I didn't make a big deal out of it in the meantime. Just kept her away from the door when dads came to get their kids every day...as long as she didn't see them she was fine.
Reply Up