Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Charging Too Little For My Time?
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 01-27-2010
Lately I have been feeling that maybe I should raise my rates. I haven't for a few years because of the way the economy has been and I've been afraid that parent's might look for care somewhere else. But I'm pretty sure that my rates are low. Not exactly sure because the only other providers that I know personally willing to talk to me about how much they charge are #1 an ex-pre-school teacher that follows a curriculum close to that of the school system, is a large (12 kids) home daycare and has her masters in child development. #2 has her bachelors in child development, a degree in special needs children and caters only to special needs kids. I charge lower than what they do #1 charges $200 a week flat no sibling discounts. #2 charges more than that but because she has special needs kids that need nurses, round the clock care, medication etc. so they are a bad comparison.

Currently I live in a middle/upper part of town, have frequent park days (with either of the two other providers I know), nature walks, field trips (museums, fire department, county fair, free crafts workshops etc) and all usually at no additional cost to the parents because most of these are free and I can write off the gas and mileage.

For full-time (35-45 hours, 5 days a week) I charge $170 (infants) and $150 for the rest weekly. For part-time (35- hours a week, up to three days) I charge $150 (infants) and $136 for the rest weekly. It is a flat fee that I charge regardless the child is brought or not. I offer drop-in care as a seperate charge (for people already in my care or not) at $5 an hour and a minimum charge of $20, any time a child stays later than my business hours(after 6pm) the rate is $5 an hour and I also offer weekend care on an ask-for basis at $5.50 an hour and a minimum charge of $30.

I make my own curriculum form online teacher websites and workbooks etc. from stores like Lakeshore, have daily craft or art activities etc. In other words I keep my DC littles active all day with educational activities. We're not hurting for money and business is good but lately the other two providers have been encouraging me to raise my rates and feel inclined to agree. Problem is, I don't know how much. Help? How much more should I charge? And at what rate should I increase my rates? I don't want to scare any parent's off and want to do it gradually. And how should I approach the parent's in a tactful way?
Tags:charging higher rate, childcare fees, daycare fees, fee, fees
Up