Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Even Old Pros Need Advice!
Former Teacher 05:00 PM 03-18-2010
I needed some advice. I am about to potty train the little boy I watch. Now I have had a LIFETIME of pottying children. However I was wondering other providers opinion.

I have always stood my boys up to use the restroom. I found over the years when the boy sits its just to messy. How do you potty train the boys?

I know ChickenHauler said about sinking the cheerios. Well I brought that up to the mother and I don't think she was happy about that!

Anyway any advice from the other old pros here?

Thanks!
gkids09 05:11 PM 03-18-2010
Honestly...I've let them pick. I have one who will be three in a few days, and he sits, and has for months. He tells me, "Gotta scoot back so it won't get in the floor!" lol And he does...I have others who only want to stand. Sometimes that is messier too though. They are good at missing the potty and going all over the floor before you can "re-direct" their aim. Also have some who do some of both. If they don't want to pick, they stand, because I think it's easier to teach them the way they'll do it forever than to let them sit and then try to teach them differently...But I also think it depends on the kid!
tymaboy 05:42 PM 03-18-2010
DS sat when he was potty training. I had one of those chairs that have the little flipup part for the boys but I did find that depending on how he sat it still went between the seat.
momma2girls 06:25 PM 03-18-2010
Mine all sit- they do it the other way sometimes, then I notice and say to them, they need to be sitting!! They both make huge messes if they don't sit!!
newtoeverything 06:48 PM 03-18-2010
My aunt is a kindergarten teacher and she painted a red circle inside her toilet so they can aim at the target...pretty neat idea I think.
kiddieshack 07:15 PM 03-18-2010
I start the boys off sitting backwards on the toilet. They were able to hold the back of the toilet for balance and somehow sitting in this position got them pointing in the right direction...which means less mess also! hope this helps!
mac60 04:07 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by kiddieshack:
I start the boys off sitting backwards on the toilet. They were able to hold the back of the toilet for balance and somehow sitting in this position got them pointing in the right direction...which means less mess also! hope this helps!

This is exactly what I do and it works so much better. It sure keeps the messes down.

Can I ask why are you potty training the child. I tell the parents they must work with the child at home, and when they "get" it and understand the concept of it I will start here.
momma2girls 04:59 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
This is exactly what I do and it works so much better. It sure keeps the messes down.

Can I ask why are you potty training the child. I tell the parents they must work with the child at home, and when they "get" it and understand the concept of it I will start here.
I just placed this concept in my policies this yr. the children must be started at home, and understand the concept of going potty, and making good progress before starting it here. I think this is great!!!
MarinaVanessa 08:10 AM 03-19-2010
I just have them stand (boys) if the pee and sit if they poo. I also use the "Cherios" method although I mix it up a little for fun. One day it'll be cheerios, the next maybe applejacks, sometimes I get the little flushable targets from the store. I mix it up so that they get excited and want to try it just to see what they'll me targeting lol. I guess I just feel that it's twice the work for a child to have to teach him one way and then re-train him to the way it's supposed to be. All in all it depends on what they feel more comfortable doing. If they want to sit when they go pee then they can but that doesn't mean that I won't ask if they'd like to try and hit the target.
melissa ann 10:59 AM 03-19-2010
When the dcb was 3 last year, he started by sitting. Because at first he had a hard time figuring out if he had to pee or poop, this way he was covered. After about 6 months or so, I had him stand up. Now his only "problem" his putting the seat back down. His 3 yr cousin went after he did and she ended up in the toilet! She didn't like to use the potty seat on the toilet but after that she did for awhile: )
Former Teacher 06:16 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:

Because Mac..I am a private nanny. I go to the parents house. I am with the little one from 630 to 300 M-F. Mom did say for me to tell her what I am going to be doing so she can follow up once I am gone for the day and on weekends. The parents and I have a great partnership so I know that whatever I wish to do or visa versa it will be respected
Chickenhauler 07:59 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by newtoeverything:
My aunt is a kindergarten teacher and she painted a red circle inside her toilet so they can aim at the target...pretty neat idea I think.
You ladies probably have never had a chance to see this, but many of the new urinals have a fly painted at "about that height". It's pretty realistic looking, too....I'll admit the first time I saw it, I tried to "wash it away".
momofsix 08:15 PM 03-19-2010
Chickenhauler--that is too funny!
Tags:potty training
Reply Up