Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Time Parent
Unregistered 01:16 PM 12-21-2010
So I babysit once in awhile for a first time foster mom (baby is almost six months old) and I do have a lot of patience. Yes, I follow their instructions even if I wouldn't do it with my own child because it's not my child, lol. Here are a few things I'm learning and would like your view on them.

1. They use a Gerber gallon of water to fill her bottle. What is wrong with using regular water?

2. They are teaching her to use a paci when she never took one before. I personally would avoid it if she never took it before because it's one less thing to have to take away when they're older.

3. They put her in her crib once with toys and a paci to see if she would go to bed. For one, the crib is for sleeping....not playing. Secondly, I was taught that putting a child to bed with a paci (mainly in daycares) wasn't allowed because it could become a choking and/or suffocation hazard.

4. They mix 2 ounces of sugar free juice (not from the infant section) with 2 ounces of formula twice a day to create just over 6 ounces of fluid. I was told that children, especially young infants don't need juice. I don't get why they put it in her bottle when she takes a bottle just fine.

5. I was told once that if she wanted more than the 4 ounces of formula (just formula this time) that I could give her 2 more ounces of water. I had to ask her to clarify that she meant just water instead of formula and that is what she meant. I was told never to give a baby that young just water that they need all the nutrients they can get.

6. They keep track of her diapers and feedings/quantities....I like that for my sake, but how often would you be changing an almost six month old every day from wake up to bedtime? They have 9 diaper changes and five separate feeding times with a total of 26 ounces of formula a day and 4 ounces of juice a day. She is 14 pounds.

7. Lastly, since this is the first child and I'm one of the first babysitters she pretty much told me she would pay me daycare rates....which are $25 a day. I've babysat two full days so far and two very short shifts of a few hours. What does she do? The first day she doesn't have any cash and I had to go to her twice to ask for the money. She was also an hour late and the dad said he would personally pay me $10 more and never did when I said, "That's Fine". Even I know that if you really appreciate someone the first time or two you pay more so they come back! The second time I babysat she asked if she could pay me after the next day when I sat again for her. Then today was the fourth time I sat all day (with a few hours break that she will not pay for, but I had to go back like it was a split shift) she came home and said she'll pay me when she goes to the bank. I was asked to sit again tonight and I'm just really tired of feeling put down and I am going out to do errands instead. Financially, She says she see's it from a mother's view and wants to save money, but good luck finding a babysitter for $2 an hour. I usually babysit for $8 an hour and families round up. This person is a friend of mine, but I'm about to call it quits (Now that I have a new job starting Monday) so I don't have to take this. I am going to ask for $4 an hour later on when I have to sit again because it's not worth my time. Thanks for letting me vent.
momofsix 01:51 PM 12-21-2010
1. depending on the water where you live, and the baby's Dr., gerber water might be better.
2. i guess if they think she needs one, it's their choice. i probably wouldn't either but maybe they're having a hard time consoling her?
3. Toys in a crib are a choking/smothering hazard. Paci's while sleeping have actually been found to slightly DEcrease the risk of SIDS
4. That's just wierd, never heard of anyone doing that. Babies do not need juice
5. Babies do not need water, and water can actually be bad for them-i would not give water.
6. Schedules for diapering and feeding are fine esp for first time parents...if she's awake from 6am until 8pm (?) with 2 naps during the day, I would probably change her about 8 times. Feedings should be about every 3-4 hours, depending on when she's hungry.
7. if they agreed to pay you $25/day, then they need to pay up, don't watch her again until they do pay. It could be a little tight for them having sudden baby expenses and foster parent payments haven't kicked in yet, but that should not effect you at all-they need to pay up now!
Have they been to a pediatrician with this baby yet? That would really help them know what to do as far as feeding/juice/formula stuff. is this a temporary placement, or are they planning on adopting this baby? That also should affect any changes they are trying to make for the baby.
SilverSabre25 02:06 PM 12-21-2010
1. Sometimes it's better than tap, depending on the tap. Sometimes parents are just buying into the hype.

2. My DD never used a paci at first, but I did try frequently in the hopes that she would have something besides ME to soothe her, so I can see trying it. Not forcing it, necessarily, but trying it.

3. Pacis do (supposedly) decrease the SIDS risk. Toys...eh...depends what kind. If they're attached to the crib it's no biggie. otherwise, not the best idea.

4. The math is off here, first of all...2 + 2 does NOT equal 6. Otherwise, that is a big nono. Formula should ONLY be made according to package or doctor instructions. Babies (well, people in general) do NOT need juice.

5. Um, if she wants more formula, she should get more formula. If she wants more, it's because she's hungry and she needs the nutrition. Babies that age don't need water at ALL.

6. The formula is fine, afaik (I breastfeed, so I don't know amounts), the juice needs to be nixed. Keeping track is fine; some people are anal retentice that way. She really should be fed on demand, not a schedule. That might be a bit overkill on the diapers but it depends on how often she poops, whether she's prone to rashes, etc.

7. You need to be paid before giving them more service. Nail them down to a firm amount, and if you have to, ask for payment up front. You need to be paid fairly for your services; if you're basically a nanny (giving full-time care one on one) you should be paid accordingly (i.e. $8/hr is fine to ask for in that case), but go with what you're comfortable with.
Unregistered 02:13 PM 12-21-2010
The baby is only in temporary placement. I know they have so much love for the child. I will get paid, I'm not worried about that. I just can't believe how they feel my day is only worth a matter of dollars. I'm just amazed at how they "learn as you go" with other people's children because they should have been required to take classes. I feel I know a lot and just don't give myself enough credit, but I'm tired of giving them recommendations when they should already know it. I'll have to look up on the paci thing again, but I thought it wasn't good. The water in the area is just fine, but I don't have a problem with what they do as far as water. It's just other basic common sense....don't give baby just water, OMG that's just terrible.

As for the toys in the crib, it's just misleading to the child that puts play and sleep together. She played with the toys for a few minutesthen she decided to keep her awake...well don't confuse the poor child.
Unregistered 02:18 PM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
4. The math is off here, first of all...2 + 2 does NOT equal 6. Otherwise, that is a big nono. Formula should ONLY be made according to package or doctor instructions. Babies (well, people in general) do NOT need juice..
opps, I meant with four ounces of formula so it became 6.
SilverSabre25 02:56 PM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
opps, I meant with four ounces of formula so it became 6.
eh, I figured. I just wasn't sure which of the three numbers was supposed to be a 4!
Unregistered 07:13 PM 12-21-2010
I think you're questioning their parenting choices way too much. If they give the baby a stuffed animal like "baby's first bear" that has no choking hazards, and the baby is 6+ months and able to sit, or at least roll over, chances are the toy isn't a big deal, you might think cribs are for sleeping, and that's fine with your kid but if you're babysitting, especially if you're babysitting in their home, then what they say goes, they're the parents. As far are the juice, some parents don't want their kid to have juice, some do, again, their choice, pretty much all of your concerns (minus the money stuff, i would definately put my foot down on that one!) are all the parent's choice, none of them will harm the child, it sounds like they are just trying to the best they can as first time mom and dad, cut them some slack!
My Daycare 04:26 AM 12-22-2010
Are you going to their home for $25/day, or are they dropping the baby off at your home?
Tags:first time parent, vent
Reply Up