Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nannyde, Your Infant Schedule Isn't Working!! (Smile Here)
Sunchimes 05:46 PM 03-14-2012
I have this 6 week old--well, I guess he's 7 weeks now, I've had him 5 days. Three of those days he slept about 40 minutes all added together and all in my arms. The other two, he just didn't do more than doze for a few minutes. He isn't really colicky because he will sit for long spells in my arms, or my husband's, happy as a bug. I think he gets little bits of tummy ache, because some days he does cry more than others. But, he will not be put down. No infant seat, no swing, no pallet on the floor. Laps only.

I really wouldn't mind sitting in the rocking chair and rocking a baby for 9 hours a day, except I also have 2 toddlers.

Today, I decided that it is time for him to learn that his bed is his friend. He spent about 3 minutes asleep in it before he started screaming. Tomorrow we will aim for 5 or 10!!

I have your schedule on the white board. I swear that every time I look at it, he laughs at me.

He has decided he wants to sleep on his tummy. As soon as we do tummy time, he zonks out. When he has gas, I put him on his tummy over my lap, and he goes to sleep. Silly boy.

This isn't a gripe, it's meant to be funny. I've been pouring over old posts and gathering ideas, so we will be fine. It's just funny how easy I thought it would be to use your schedule.
nannyde 05:54 PM 03-14-2012
He's still really little. The schedule I use is for the babies three/four months and up.

Until he gets some weight on him and a few more weeks you pretty much have to go with the flow.

I should have a newborn in a couple of months so as soon as I get one I will photograph the boppy technique I use for the belly time. They really can't fall asleep if you postiion them the right way.

I would not carry him around all day. I would lay him down on his back and let him have a good workout. It's okay if they don't like the back laying. They have to do it so at some point they have to have at it. Just give him time and start increasing it a bit every day.

I would LOVE to have your problems. My youngest is now one and I am DYING to get my hands on a fresh brand new baby or.... four I love that age so much.
Heidi 06:04 PM 03-14-2012
To be honest, I believe most babies (like 95%) prefer their tummies to sleep. Unfortunately, there is a price to pay statistically for allowing it. It's a HUGE statistic, so it's not even an option (especially as a DCP), but all 4 of m own slept on their tummies (ages 11yo-22yo). I would NEVER let a dck sleep on their tummy. I would also be very hesitant to take a child under 6 months into my care.

As far as schedules, infants that young don't belong on a schedule. Sorry, Nan, we differ on that theory. I respect Nanny De, and generally roll my eyes at a lot of "new age" theory, but I believe a newborn to about 4 or 5 months is not neurologically organized enough to be on a schedule. I'll be quite the tough guy and have high expectations in other ways, but not with my wee ones!
Sunchimes 06:06 PM 03-14-2012
Trade you!

I'm glad to hear that it's not working because he's too young. The few times he doesn't sleep, he seems to like the tummy time. He doesn't cry.

I think I've been holding him so much because I wasn't sure how long it was safe for him to cry. He's my first baby and he just looks so darn fragile. ;-)

Seriously, I did not want this baby and wanted to keep the sister and have mom take him elsewhere, but she didn't go for it.

I had 3 girls, all within a month of each other. We had some really good times, and I had tons of plans for the next year. Unfortunately, most of that is out the window now. We didn't even make it outside the whole week.

On the good side, I'm not afraid of babies anymore.
Sunchimes 06:14 PM 03-14-2012
Bbo, you and nanny agree on the young schedule, it was me that didn't understand what she said. I was thinking I could do it at start. She clarified it for me in the post just above yours.

Just to be clear, I do not let him sleep on his tummy. As soon as he nods off, I pick him up and move him. Tummy sleeping scares me!!! I just mentioned it because so many have talked about how their kids hated tummy time.
countrymom 07:13 PM 03-14-2012
I never put a kid on a schedual till they were about 3 months old. At that age they seemed to get it more and they were easier to figure out. Heck at that age, they should be sleep all the time. As I remember it, their wake hours are few and far between.
Heidi 07:20 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
He's still really little. The schedule I use is for the babies three/four months and up.

Until he gets some weight on him and a few more weeks you pretty much have to go with the flow.

I should have a newborn in a couple of months so as soon as I get one I will photograph the boppy technique I use for the belly time. They really can't fall asleep if you postiion them the right way.

I would not carry him around all day. I would lay him down on his back and let him have a good workout. It's okay if they don't like the back laying. They have to do it so at some point they have to have at it. Just give him time and start increasing it a bit every day.

I would LOVE to have your problems. My youngest is now one and I am DYING to get my hands on a fresh brand new baby or.... four I love that age so much.

sorry Nan, I only took from OP's post, not your blog/website. It sounds like we are on the same page after all! For some reason, your 7:54 post wasn't there when I read OP's post...., or I am in a time warp and took 11 minutes to type mine. It's possible...
cheerfuldom 06:01 AM 03-15-2012
I dont even try a schedule until 4 months. Until then, I just wing it and by 4 months, I know what their signals are, what their natural schedule is and can just tweak it to fit into the daycare routine.
MrsB 06:46 AM 03-15-2012
Sunchimes, have you tried a nice tight swaddle? It is what has worked best for me on most. Otherwise, I just kind of have to let them cry sometimes. My last newborn I had was the worst. She fussed so much that I had the other kids complaining about it. It slooooowwwwllllyyyy got better starting at 3 months. Luckily we survived and she is still with me (20 months). She still gets fussy but only when mom gets here and its only directed at mom.
LittleD 07:02 AM 03-15-2012
NannyDe, I know how much you love your infants and I'm just wondering, do you not accept families with newborns who smoke (especially in the house)?

There is a risk with infants and SIDS and I know it increases if the parents are smokers, so I was just wondering if you do not take infants of smokers for this reason?

As a PP mentioned, I do not take them younger then 6 mths, and preferably 1 yr or older (unless it is a sib) due to fear of SIDS.
momma2girls 07:18 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
NannyDe, I know how much you love your infants and I'm just wondering, do you not accept families with newborns who smoke (especially in the house)?

There is a risk with infants and SIDS and I know it increases if the parents are smokers, so I was just wondering if you do not take infants of smokers for this reason?

As a PP mentioned, I do not take them younger then 6 mths, and preferably 1 yr or older (unless it is a sib) due to fear of SIDS.
I totally agree with you. I prefer 6 months and over as well. I know way too much on SIDS!!!
MrsB 09:45 AM 03-15-2012
I love me some tiny tiny babies! I would do all infant care if I could (up to 18 months) Just here no matter the rules, only 2 infants per adult. Not as profitable as I need it to be.
Sunchimes 03:27 PM 03-15-2012
I didn't want this baby. I know nothing about babies that small and don't want to know anything. But, I didn't want to lose his big sister so I took him. I've had him for 6 days, and I'm getting the hang of it! Maybe, sort of, I can see why people like the little stinkers.

I doubt I'll ever take another that young though. Also known as Famous Last Words. I like them at about 9 months old and up. That's when they start being fun.
nannyde 04:33 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:

I don't come across too many that smoke. I would take the baby though. I do the same care regardless of their risk factors.
nannyde 04:39 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I love me some tiny tiny babies! I would do all infant care if I could (up to 18 months) Just here no matter the rules, only 2 infants per adult. Not as profitable as I need it to be.
I would do birth to two care if I could have more infants. Our max is three under 18 months plus one between 18-24 months. Not enough money in four slots.
Lucy 10:13 AM 03-16-2012
I would do birth to two care if I could have more infants. Our max is three under 18 months plus one between 18-24 months. Not enough money in four slots.
Wow. Lax state. I can only have two under age 2.
nannyde 10:23 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Wow. Lax state. I can only have two under age 2.
Iowa is pretty much in the middle with the regs. The issue with the infant numbers is the misconception that infants are harder than two and ups. I don't believe that is true for experienced providers who have physical space. My staff assistant and I could easily run eight infants under the age of 18 months. If we worked side by side in the same baby room in a center we would be allowed to or rather expected to.

My state allows four infants for each staff in the infant rooms in centers. All of those infants can be newborns. If you are in a home child care you can't have more than three under 18 months alone or four under 18 months if you have the second co-provider who has to qualify to be a co-provider.

My experience is that they get harder as they get older. To me, infants are the easiest by far and school aged kids are the hardest and require the most supervision and adult involvement. I think the thinking is that infants require so much adult time but in my setting the two and ups require significantly more adult time than the infants. As the kids here get closer to five their needs supercede the infants by a LOT.
MrsB 11:12 AM 03-16-2012
Iowa is pretty much in the middle with the regs. The issue with the infant numbers is the misconception that infants are harder than two and ups. I don't believe that is true for experienced providers who have physical space. My staff assistant and I could easily run eight infants under the age of 18 months. If we worked side by side in the same baby room in a center we would be allowed to or rather expected to.

My state allows four infants for each staff in the infant rooms in centers. All of those infants can be newborns. If you are in a home child care you can't have more than three under 18 months alone or four under 18 months if you have the second co-provider who has to qualify to be a co-provider.

My experience is that they get harder as they get older. To me, infants are the easiest by far and school aged kids are the hardest and require the most supervision and adult involvement. I think the thinking is that infants require so much adult time but in my setting the two and ups require significantly more adult time than the infants. As the kids here get closer to five their needs supercede the infants by a LOT.
Our state is 2 under the age of 2. Unless you have a helper you can have 4, but you still can't go over your total ratio. At this point it isn't profitable to take 2 full time 24+mos to add 2 more infants and pay a full time helper.

This is my experience too! I could easily take 4 infants myself. Every year they get older the harder it gets! When I took new school agers, I charged higher than the non school agers. The only reason I charge more for my infants is not the amount of work, but that my slots are limited so I can demand a higher price.

If I could add more infants, I would gladly give up the rest of my other 24+ mos slots.
Tags:infant - schedule, nannyde
Reply Up