Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Yr Old Refusing To Talk
My Lil' Monkeys 12:20 PM 01-27-2011
I know I've asked questions regarding the 3 yr old dck...but I need help with her and the choice to not speak to me at times. I know she can talk, she has talked to me sometimes all day. But there are times when I ask her something she will look at me and then ignore me and won't answer. I makes me mad!!

Today, she got in trouble for taking lotion in my bathroom and using it to cover my mirror on the back of the bathroom door with it. I asked her if she did it and refused to answer me, other than shake her head no. She's the ONLY one who uses the lotion and she's the only one who was tall enough to reach where it was smeared. So, I made her sit in a time out for 2 reasons, one was the lotion and the other for lying. When I asked her again, she just refused to answer at all and just stared at me. Finally after a LONG time she said she was sorry and that she had done it.

Now, after nap she's doing the same thing... I ask her a question and she refuses to answer. I'm sick of it! There is no reason she can not talk to me. I find it rude and I've told her that she's being rude and needs to answer. But, she won't.

Oh, and she's not new... she's been here a month and does this A LOT during the week... and when brought up to parents they just blow it off!!

Please, if you have any suggestions... I'm so up for them! Thanks!!
Abigail 01:26 PM 01-27-2011
Try to reverse it. First off, remove the lotion completely so she no longer has access to it. If she asks where it went, tell her someone was using the lotion to smear it on the mirror and that person never said who they were so no one will get the lotion because of it.

If that doesn't work then bring out books on speaking when you are spoken too. I'm sure there are many out there...maybe under the rude category, LOL. This would irritate me also! Don't show your frustration though.

Finally, think about all the times that she ignores you. Do you talk a lot and she gets tired of hearing your voice? Think about it, it might be that. If that is not the case then try the same thing on her to see how she feels. When she asks you a question don't acknowledge it and after awhile she'll become frustrated and get upset with you and that would be the perfect time to ask her how she feels and explain you feel the same when she does it to you.
nannyde 02:04 PM 01-27-2011
I believe that providers must carefully supervise all the children all the time. If she had access to do this then she had time unsupervised. They aren't like our own kids. They HAVE to have close proximal visual supervision at ALL times they are up in the home.

I wouldn't worry about her not talking. In fact, you can send her to me because she would be a blessing in the constant non stop chatter of my two little real life princesses
My Lil' Monkeys 03:37 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I believe that providers must carefully supervise all the children all the time. If she had access to do this then she had time unsupervised. They aren't like our own kids. They HAVE to have close proximal visual supervision at ALL times they are up in the home.

I wouldn't worry about her not talking. In fact, you can send her to me because she would be a blessing in the constant non stop chatter of my two little real life princesses
I sent her in the bathroom to wash her hands and she uses the lotion right after... I watch all of my daycare and my own kids like a hawk but was in the middle of changing a diaper when she picked her nose and I asked her to wash her hands so she wouldn't spread her germs to other kids... she was in there not even 2 mins... I finished up the yucky diaper and went in to wash my hands too, she was rubbing the lotion into her hands when I walked in to wash mine. She's never in the month I had her played in the bathroom and trust me I watch her in there because I know from my own kids they used to much TP, need help wiping, or don't wash their hands properly. If I wouldn't have been changing a diaper I would have been in there with her.

I also wanted to add that I stand in the hallway so I can view all kids in daycare and watch her in the bathroom so you don't think I'm leaving the other children unattended.

As for talking, I find it rude not to respond to an adult when asked a question. She talks all day to me and other dcks but when asked questions after nap or when she comes in the morning (up to an hour later for both) or gets in trouble (this was the 1st time) ... she becomes silent. She knows what she's doing and that's what upsets me. I try not to show it and have explained it many times that it's rude to not respond when asked a question. She does it at the table when asked to use her manners.. she'll want more put refuses to use Please or Thank You at any time.

She's also horrible at talking when her sister is here on Fridays. She will only whisper to her sister and then her older sister will repeat it to me. That is the ONLY way she will talk to me on Fridays.
Tags:chatter, drama queen, princess, proximal visual supervision, won't talk
Reply Up