Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Daycare Assistant - Nervous
FD1993 09:26 PM 09-06-2012
Hey everyone,

I'm a 19-year-old male college student, and while I haven't been hired yet, I think I'm close to being hired as a daycare assistant in a family/home daycare.

So, a little bit about the home daycare... There's 6-7 kids at any given time ranging from age 13 months to 4.5 years. My responsibilities would be feeding, diapering, putting them down for naps, playing, helping with art projects, singing, reading, etc. And I'd also help clean up throughout the day -- washing dishes, picking up food that fell on the floor, cleaning up toys, sweeping, etc.

And I'm nervous that I'm not going to be good at this job. First off, I've never really taken care of children. I've never fed a small child, changed a kid's diaper, etc. I've been around kids before, and I've been told that I'm very good with children, so I'm not worried about entertaining them. But I'm also nervous that maybe the daycare provider expects me to be very upbeat and enthusiastic and sociable, and I'm not. I'm kind of quiet and wouldn't describe myself as upbeat, but still, I've been told I'm good with children so I thought I would apply for this job.

Another thing I'm nervous about... I'm male. There's some prejudice against men when it comes to childcare. What if parents are worried about me being a child molester or something? What do I say to make people feel more comfortable about me being in the daycare?

Any tips in general for an assistant with no experience taking care of children?

Thanks everyone
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 09-07-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post without moderation
crazydaycarelady 07:21 AM 09-07-2012
If you get the job I'd probably just mention on the first day that you are great with children but don't have a lot of experience with the feeding/diapering part but you are willing to jump right in and learn. But then jump right in. I had an assistant similar to this once who didn't jump right in but just watched me do these things. You gotta learn sometime!
itlw8 07:59 AM 09-07-2012
often not that it is right the male teachers do not do the diapering just because some parents are funny

You have other strengths. and you will learn like everyone else does. hands on.

Many of us would like to do more technology with the kids. they need supervision. hammering nails or golf tees using a computer, putting bolts together. I would love some one younger to play tag and catch.
gather a group around you on the floor and read them books. expecially with funny voices.

Look at it this way at some time you will be a daddy and this is your training period. Being a man around kids is different but good.
cheerfuldom 09:27 AM 09-07-2012
If the daycare owner thinks you are good enough, then just do your job and the parents will get used to you. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just be ready to learn, hard working, punctual and that will be a good start! Its really not that hard provided you have the patience to stick it out. Kids are very resilient and ready to love others so I wouldnt worry about them. you dont have to be bouncing off the walls in enthusiasm.....in fact, a more calm, authoritative personality would be better anyway. The last thing you want to do is a get a group that size all riled up and rowdy
daycare 09:33 AM 09-07-2012
I agree with the above poster.

I would not worry about being a man. The daycare provider has the trust of the parents, thats why the parents leave their kids with her daily. It is the ultimate decision of the provider who she chooses and the parents will have to trust and respect who she decides. If the parents don't like it, well then they can find another place to take their kids.

If I had the chance, I would hire a man in a heartbeat. I feel that many of the kids here would really benefit from a male role model.

Don't feel like you need to walk on egg shells, don't let stereo types shatter your confidence.

My ethnic background is stereo-typed for being a terrorist.... But I don't let that bother me at all.

As for the lack of experience, you won't get good at it unless you do it.....

Good Luck to you
cheerfuldom 09:46 AM 09-07-2012
I cant wait till my nephew is old enough to work for me! He is amazing with kids and I would love to have a male around my group of kids.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 09-07-2012
Everyone has strengths. I have a friend who chose a home daycare with a husband/wife team running it BECAUSE the husband was involved and her ds's Dad is not. They wrestle, he teaches him to play catch, throw a football, rules about soccer, how to use a screwdriver, allllll of those "boy" things. That little guy IDOLIZES him.

If you are good at reading books, read to them. Kids will flop all over you. Are you good at legos? Can you blow a GIANT bubble? Ever set up a relay race? Ever taught a kid to tie their shoes? Teach the older kids to problem solve. Share a time when you were sad and what you do to feel better.

There is soooo much more to being a good provider than being outgoing and smiliing all day. Plus, they probably are all going to think you are the coolest person ever, just because you're young!

My husband (not involved in my daycare but lives in my home, obviously) is very shy and reserved and ALLLL of my daycare kids love him. He taught one dcb how to make a slingshot (lovely, huh?) and now calls him "Bart" (simpson) and it's their little inside joke. Other kids just walk up to him and hit him and run to be chased. He will spend hours in the afternoon throwig baseballs that he knows little kids will never hit.

Remember, kids don't have the biases that adults do. It's part of what makes them so awesome.
angelicpretty 09:03 PM 09-07-2012
This isn't directed at the OP, but I think its ridiculous that a male worker is automatically looked at with distrust and "shouldn't" be diapering or makes parents nervous. I hate how the world views male childcare providers. I've met some GREAT ones who would never harm a child. UGH. Anyway I guess the bad ones have ruined it for all the great men out there.

To OP: You will learn so much just from actually working day to day. You'll make a few mistakes here and there, but ultimately you will fall into a routine. Take your time and ask questions if anything seems unclear. Good luck
MommyofThree 06:20 AM 09-08-2012
Originally Posted by FD1993:
Hey everyone,

I'm a 19-year-old male college student, and while I haven't been hired yet, I think I'm close to being hired as a daycare assistant in a family/home daycare.

So, a little bit about the home daycare... There's 6-7 kids at any given time ranging from age 13 months to 4.5 years. My responsibilities would be feeding, diapering, putting them down for naps, playing, helping with art projects, singing, reading, etc. And I'd also help clean up throughout the day -- washing dishes, picking up food that fell on the floor, cleaning up toys, sweeping, etc.

And I'm nervous that I'm not going to be good at this job. First off, I've never really taken care of children. I've never fed a small child, changed a kid's diaper, etc. I've been around kids before, and I've been told that I'm very good with children, so I'm not worried about entertaining them. But I'm also nervous that maybe the daycare provider expects me to be very upbeat and enthusiastic and sociable, and I'm not. I'm kind of quiet and wouldn't describe myself as upbeat, but still, I've been told I'm good with children so I thought I would apply for this job.

Another thing I'm nervous about... I'm male. There's some prejudice against men when it comes to childcare. What if parents are worried about me being a child molester or something? What do I say to make people feel more comfortable about me being in the daycare?

Any tips in general for an assistant with no experience taking care of children?

Thanks everyone
That is what I dont understand is why are parents so uncomfortable with men at daycares because there have been so many women that actully abuse the children causeing harm. Its sad but true. You will be fine
Reply Up