Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Contract Dates - calendar year or school year or combo?
calendar year (Jan-Dec) 11 40.74%
school year (Aug or Sept - June) 6 22.22%
other - please explain! 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract Dates? Calendar Year or School Year?
Crazy8 08:14 AM 05-23-2013
does your contract run on a calendar year (Jan-Dec), or a school year (Sept-June) or something completely different???

I can't figure out what I want to do - my kids are young - not school age and many of my parents work regular year round jobs so I thought calendar year was the way to go but with lots of teachers kids and others looking for different summer schedules AND my own kids being in school and me wanting the break in the summer I am wondering if I should go to a more school year oriented contract. But then how do I handle summers? Uncontracted? Revised contracts?
ABCDEFG 08:52 AM 05-23-2013
I give them a contact to sign before their one year anniversary. Teachers sign for one year. That contract is due June 1st and goes through the next school year. Policies are updated as needed.
MarinaVanessa 08:57 AM 05-23-2013
My contract doesn't have an expiration date. It starts when they first sign it and ends when either they or me terminate it. If they need changes to their schedule or the type of care they signed up for (FT, PT or DI) then they notify me in writing with 2 weeks advance notice and they sign a new contract. If I make changes to the contract then I do the same (give them 2 weeks notice) and they sign a new contract. Once the new contract is signed then the previous one is void (but I still keep it in their file).
Brooksie 09:57 AM 05-23-2013
Mine starts the day they sign and goes for one year with automatic renewal if not otherwise specified.
sally 10:13 AM 05-23-2013
My contract runs from June to June. They started with me last June and I just made a new contract for them to sign. I've learned a lot in the last year and I like being able to address issues all at the same time and change things if necessary. If they want to change something during the year or I need to I give them a 2 weeks notice for it or they need to give me 2 weeks to see if its something we can change or if its something that would not work.
butterfly 10:47 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by sally:
My contract runs from June to June. They started with me last June and I just made a new contract for them to sign. I've learned a lot in the last year and I like being able to address issues all at the same time and change things if necessary. If they want to change something during the year or I need to I give them a 2 weeks notice for it or they need to give me 2 weeks to see if its something we can change or if its something that would not work.

I just work the school year - off in the summer. I have my contracts due by June 1.
momofboys 11:26 AM 05-23-2013
Mine is mostly school year although my school-year families still will use me a little in the summer but only 3-4x a month so I just let them know when I am available in the summer & we work around my schedule.
DaisyMamma 04:47 AM 05-24-2013
Other. Beginning of school year - end of summer.
GoodKarma 07:59 AM 05-24-2013
I don't take school-aged children, so I do calendar year.
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 05-24-2013
I run on a calendar year but it starts in September and runs til the end of August.

New contracts are signed and handbooks and other information is updated the last week in August to start the first week in September.
Rachel 02:56 AM 05-26-2013
We go like the school year, except a much shorter break (Aug 6 last day for kids, inservice on the 7th, and back to work Aug 26 which is the first day of school).
Crazy8 11:35 AM 08-21-2013
revisiting this poll, still thinking of going to a Sept thru Aug. contract but can't figure out if there are any pros/cons to either way, LOL!
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
revisiting this poll, still thinking of going to a Sept thru Aug. contract but can't figure out if there are any pros/cons to either way, LOL!
I do September to September.

For me summer time is a lazy, laid back, NO curriculum time where 99.9% of our day is simply free play.

I have several families who are teachers or work in the school district and their schedules are sporadic in the summer months, not to mention I get a lot more drop in or temp kids in the summer too.

Those are MY personal pros to doing a school year contract. I renew EVERYONE'S paperwork, contracts and schedules the first of September.
Cradle2crayons 11:44 AM 08-21-2013
I just redo once a year, in their sign up anniversary. Mainly because I only have two families totalling five kids. Same with my drop in I've had for a while.
Crazy8 11:48 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do September to September.

For me summer time is a lazy, laid back, NO curriculum time where 99.9% of our day is simply free play.

I have several families who are teachers or work in the school district and their schedules are sporadic in the summer months, not to mention I get a lot more drop in or temp kids in the summer too.

Those are MY personal pros to doing a school year contract. I renew EVERYONE'S paperwork, contracts and schedules the first of September.
This is exactly why I'm considering changing. I have some teachers but not all, and my program is really for 3 and under kids so they aren't really on school schedules yet either.

I am trying to decide how/if it would benefit me to change - I don't have set vac. time - I could take it in Jan. or May or July or whenever. I don't want to screw myself by moving to a school year schedule!
Patches 11:52 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
My contract doesn't have an expiration date. It starts when they first sign it and ends when either they or me terminate it. If they need changes to their schedule or the type of care they signed up for (FT, PT or DI) then they notify me in writing with 2 weeks advance notice and they sign a new contract. If I make changes to the contract then I do the same (give them 2 weeks notice) and they sign a new contract. Once the new contract is signed then the previous one is void (but I still keep it in their file).
same here
Reply Up