Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Find Out If There Is Interest In My Program?
anedmonson 12:12 PM 04-19-2013
I am just starting up-hoping to launch this summer or fall. I am currently employed outside of the home. I really want to know if there is interest in what I'm offering prior to jumping ship at my job.
How did you go about finding out if there is any interest in your daycare/preschool?
The only thing I can think of is Craigslist. I am planning on opening a vegan nature-based home preschool program.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Evansmom 12:20 PM 04-19-2013
If it were me I'd start putting out feeler ads on CL or wherever you are going to advertise. Set up a website or Facebook page or blog so parents can visit and see your space and program outline.

When you interview be clear of the start date. Like maybe a month from then to give you time to end your job in good terms.

Good luck! I've had a good 5 years of running my home daycare and my program is different from what others in the area offer. I think it's important to find your strengths and your niche and then play those up so that you stand out from the rest
KnoxMom 12:22 PM 04-19-2013
I'm SURE there would be an interest for that. Consider checking meetup.com to see if there are any vegan interest groups in your area so you can network and create a buzz. Are there any other preschool programs offering the same thing? Are they full? Check out their website and policies and take note of how they market. If there isn't another, even better! That means you have found your niche! Do you frequent your local Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Earthfare/Health Food Store? Start making conversation there and at your local farmer's market because that's your fishing pool. I would save craigslist for running an actual ad because you'll want to be prepared to answer any and all questions once you start advertising. Also, I wouldn't quit my job until I had full enrollment or the number of students needed break even. I hope everything works out for you!
ksmith 12:24 PM 04-19-2013
I would first look at what type of programs are available in your area. Look how many centers are in your vicinity, and you could take it a step further to see if there was a wait list. You can also go online and see how many providers live near you, and maybe give a few a call to see what their experiences are. I also have been looking on city-data.com on the forums and you can sometimes get an idea of what parents are looking for in your area (just search a keyword like daycare or preschool).

As far as the vegan and nature based, I would look at what type of area you live in. Do you live some where where this sort of lifestyle is common?
anedmonson 12:30 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by ksmith:
I would first look at what type of programs are available in your area. Look how many centers are in your vicinity, and you could take it a step further to see if there was a wait list. You can also go online and see how many providers live near you, and maybe give a few a call to see what their experiences are. I also have been looking on city-data.com on the forums and you can sometimes get an idea of what parents are looking for in your area (just search a keyword like daycare or preschool).

As far as the vegan and nature based, I would look at what type of area you live in. Do you live some where where this sort of lifestyle is common?
That's the thing. There is an interst in the lifestyle, we got our first vegan restaruant and it's been a total hit-like sold out, waiting list hit. I just wonder if will carry over into childcare? Maybe I should contact the restaurant to see about leaving cards and posting a flyer.

Thanks every one! These are some great ideas.
anedmonson 12:33 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
I'm SURE there would be an interest for that. Consider checking meetup.com to see if there are any vegan interest groups in your area so you can network and create a buzz. Are there any other preschool programs offering the same thing? Are they full? Check out their website and policies and take note of how they market. If there isn't another, even better! That means you have found your niche! Do you frequent your local Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Earthfare/Health Food Store? Start making conversation there and at your local farmer's market because that's your fishing pool. I would save craigslist for running an actual ad because you'll want to be prepared to answer any and all questions once you start advertising. Also, I wouldn't quit my job until I had full enrollment or the number of students needed break even. I hope everything works out for you!
There isn't anything like that here, which is the reason I want to start it. My 3 y/o is ready for a program but there isn't one that matches our lifestyle. These are amazing ideas!!!!!! Thanks so much!
MyAngels 02:33 PM 04-19-2013
You might also get in touch with your local CCRRN. Ours seems to have a great feel for the child care community here. They may know if there is a need or interest in your community for what you want to offer.
Reply Up